1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

To Grind or Not to Grind?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ogreman, Aug 3, 2011.

Should grinding still be in MMORPGs?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Thats like the main gameplay of mmos so yes.

2. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    If it's fun and there's an actual reward behind it, heck yes. If it's just grinding for cosmetic crap then HELL NO. The way aq3d currently handles grinding is the most horrible example of grinding done completely wrong. If I had to grind a gazillion hours for an item and it's as strong as someone's stick, then there's something amiss, aq3d in a nutshell atm.

3. htakard

htakard Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I think how a video game approaches this situation is most important of all because in some mmos it becomes boring and grueling and in others im determined to complete the grind

4. Vanderion

Vanderion Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Grinding will always be part of MMOs, imo. I mean, you need to work for your level and gear. It would be horrible if you reach a certain point in the game where you have to face tough opponents then realize you haven't earned enough level experience or bought better gear.

The real question is how the grind is done. Older MMOs just have you kill and kill and kill the same mobs until you get what you want or you get tired of it. Nowadays, MMOs will give you daily quests to complete for good rewards. And if you happen to have mission-lust, like me, then you will rarely get bored.

Aaddron likes this.
  5. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    It's the main part of MMOs and if there weren't any grinding in it, why would it be called MMO then? It's good to have grinding when it's not too extreme, it's there to have something to do.

6. Vanderion

Vanderion Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Agreed. There must be something that can be done in MMORPG. I mean, nobody logs in just to indulge in the scenery.

7. Aerobous

Aerobous Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Im doing this in pokemon grinding lvl before proceeding in any gym

8. ogreswish

ogreswish Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Grinding sometimes helps me get off my nerves when I play Lineage 2. When it's an official server which is maintained, why not grind?

9. TSchwa

TSchwa Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Totally agree. I remember those days when grinding helped me relax after school. Now I do that in L2C too from time to time

10. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Grinding helps you ease your mind? That's something you don't hear everyday.

11. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    I agree lawl, a bit of grinding is alright but I personally don't want to spend months grinding anything in an mmorpg.

12. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I love and hate grinding.

I love it when I'm grinding and I am able to see the progress that I have done.

I hate it when I'm grinding and praying all the time for RNG Goddess to give me her blessing aka lucky drop.

13. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    If we talk about grinding for rares; sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't like it. I generally don't like and find it boring but when you found/drop it, seeing its name in the loot table is priceless.