1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Ogre Wars Reset 2010?

Discussion in 'Ogre Wars' started by ogreman, Mar 30, 2010.

Should Ogre Wars Be Reset?

1. Yes, reset the game.

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, let's try other options.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vyeh

vyeh Ogre Wars Hall of Fame

Credit:
    That is why shivers89 started the campaign early. He wanted to gain some experience, which he gained from working against two of the best opponents.

And I agree that every player matters.

2. TaurusJ

TaurusJ Little Spike

Credit:
    man why do i feel like im being left out of some good info on this game lol.

3. q

q Exiled Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The poll shows its obvious that everyone wants reset.

4. vyeh

Credit:
    Playing as an individual, you should know how weapons/armor and training interact. Weapons add a fixed amount while training adds a percentage. There are points where it is cost effective to add another level of training rather than more weapons/armor and vice versa.

There is a random factor that multiplies your offense rating and defense rating by a number from 50% to 150%. If the attack rating = defense rating, there is a 1/16th chance the odds will be 2-1 for the attacker, a 1/16th chance the odds will be 1-2 for the attacker, a 7/16th chance the attacker will win at 1-1 and a 7/16th chance the attacker will lose at 1-1.

You should have a "feel" for how odds and troop strength contribute to casualties. At 1-1 (odds are rounded to the nearest integer), the winner loses 9% of the loser's troop strength and the loser loses 11% of the winner's troop strength. At 2-1, the numbers are 8% and 12%. At 3-1, 7% and 13% until it maxes out at 10-1, when the numbers are 0% and 20%.

You should also know that an attacker can not attack someone that is < 75% of his troop strength.

As awesomedrako is convincing himself, it is okay to lose at 1-1 if you have substantially more troops than the opponent.

Spies are pretty limited for individual players, especially at the lower levels. If you win and have X spies, you get an intel accuracy of X%, which means the real value of gold, offense and defense is multiplied by a number from X% to (200-X)%.

There is also a way to figure out if a player hasn't logged on for awhile, even if the player has never posted.

Playing as a team, you should know how two players can take on a stronger player.

Spies are more useful for team/nation playing as a player who has no one to attack can spy on anyone and pass the information to another player.

Diplomacy is very important. While the Ironheads and Steelskulls had a strong alliance, some Womper kept attacking a Gold Beast and those two nations couldn't maintain an alliance.

5. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I have to go with a reset too!

6. TaurusJ

TaurusJ Little Spike

Credit:
    now thats alittle more comforting.....some gold beasts were active but not team oriented and thus we couldnt keep up nor maintain simple alliances lol. our forums are pretty dull and useless if there is not enough active posting on it.which happens to be the case i myself and one other once tried to get a role call on the active players and it was maybe 4 lol and 2 of them might as well be inactive.

7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    As much as teamwork is touted as the reason you guys won I don't think it's completely true, I also don't think us not working together as good is the reason we got dominated.

More than anything I think the Ironheads just got ahead of everyone, it's pretty much impossible to play catch up in this game especially with a troop cap(would be tough without one too), Wompers started late and Gold Teeth and Big Beast lacked active players from the start.

More than teamwork I think the Ironheads had just enough active players at the top to hold off anyone then once the top Big Beast and Gold teeth top players started to die off there was no stopping them.

Imo it was pure luck that the Ironheads dominated, sure they have the skills and knowledge but all the skills and knowledge in the world wont help you if you get behind in this game, the Ironheads got a huge jump by having the most active players, the other nations top players stalled out giving them a huge lead. Vyeh has said himself it's pretty much impossible to beat someone above you that's stronger than you. All the Ironheads had to do from there is keep building and do enough attacks to keep the lead.

Once the split happened you'd think it took more planning but due to them still working together it would basically be the same as before, except it would take a lot more to get the lead... which actually turned out to not be that much more... you guys have knocked down and held the whole field with basically 3 players.

8. vyeh

Credit:
    When the Womper/Ironhead truce was established, ogreman, speedyturtle, Eirik, awesomedrako and some other Wompers were just below CrazyCane. Coffee Addict and I weren't close to CrazyCane.

At that time, my involvement in the game was confined to staying at 2k and attacking anyone that came into range and occasionally going after someone above me (tarkane) in an attempt to bring them below me (that is why I'm pretty knowledgeable about attacking from below).

I supported the truce and offered to let the Wompers I had been suppressing move up if I was allowed to join the fight against CrazyCane.

Eirik attacked me on two separate occasions (for a total of three attacks). Rather than turning around and attacking some Wompers below me, I PM'd awesomedrako and asked him if the truce was still on. Either awesomedrako finally persuaded Eirik to put aside the feud between Eirik and myself or Eirik decided to quit the game.

Before I could reach CrazyCane and participate, Aaddron suspected that Compwhiz might have multiple accounts. When ogreman checked it out, it turned out that CrazyCane was an account of Compwhiz! Although CrazyCane was gone, I suggested that the truce hold so we could go after Compwhiz (at that time we didn't know if Compwhiz would continue playing).

In the private forum, I urged Coffee Addict to race to the top with me. We held our breaths everytime we passed a Big Beast or a Goldteeth, but we weren't attacked, and we passed all the Wompers. It was a risky move because the Big Beasts and Goldteeth we passed could have taken us out.

Once we got to the top we started building defense. Rizzle Bizzle and p8ntitblack actually passed the cap and I PM'd ogreman and awesomedrako announcing that I would attack them to enforce the cap, but I still wanted the truce to apply.

Around this time, ogreman (with his lust for combat) unilaterally announced that the truce between the Wompers and the Ironheads had ended because the two nations were in first and second. Personally, I would have kept the truce until Aaddron had been dislodged.

With the truce ended, combat started between the Wompers and the Ironheads. p8ntitblack, awesomedrako and sharpiejas were formidable. An early attack against awesomedrako:

I think I asked ogreman to attack awesomedrako. (I think at that time speedyturtle was primarily defense oriented.)

Against sharpiejas, p8ntitblack and Rizzle Bizzle, I did better.

Finally, p8ntitblack decided to strike back when he was at 123k and I was at 140k:

I ended up at 71k and he ended up at 73k (I suspect he ran out of turns). I counterattacked:

At the end of this, p8ntitblack was at 0 troops (and the next turn he was at 50).

A post in the public forum by awesomedrako showed that p8ntitblack was unaware of the revenge rule, despite the fact that Eirik and I used it against each other and I had explained it in the public forum.

Ten days later, I was recruiting my way back to the troop cap when awesomedrako attacked me and ogreman:

I ended up at 189k and he ended up at 199k. awesomedrako also attacked ogreman.

I convinced ogreman to attack him.

awesomedrako attacked me and ogreman again. At this point, I was 189k and awesomnedrako was 190k.

I persuaded ogreman to attack awesomedrako two more times. That left awesomedrako at 117k and me at 178k. Then I took awesomedrako to zero despite the fact that he was stronger than me:

A few days later, sharpiejas attacked me. He started at 185k and I started at 186k.

I think sharpiejas also attacked some one else.

At the end of this, I was at 155k and sharpiejas was at 81k. Then I attacked sharpiejas and drove him to the minimum level:

I was recruiting my way back to the top. At that point speedyturtle was within days of exceeding the 300k cap. ogreman had run a spy mission and we knew your defense strength. We were planning to have speedyturtle attack you followed by Coffee Addict. I was hoping to get to a point where I could help out.

Then you ran your "test", which involved attacking speedyturtle, then myself and then speedyturtle, which put you and me at around 162k.

I convinced speedyturtle to attack you. And that left you at 106k.

Then I attacked you:

At this point, I ran out of turns and speedyturtle sent you to 0. (What did you learn from the test?)

We had polled for active players in the private forum and found shivers89 and zmoney. We told them to recruit exclusively, until they reached the troop cap. Coffee Addict, speedyturtle and I gave them advice on how much defense to build and how much offense.

Coffee Addict and I engaged in a campaign last month, which temporarily changed the dominance standings.

While I was climbing to the top, shivers89 suggested that he take over the "grunt" work so we sent him on a training mission, where he built up valuable experience. When he felt he had enough experience, Coffee Addict joined him. When the opposition got too strong, I joined them. And we still had zmoney in reserve.

From my perspective, I think these were skillful play:

(1) ogreman calling for a truce between the Ironheads and the Wompers to face CrazyCane;

(2) Coffee Addict and I moving past the Wompers to the troop cap and then building defense.

(3) Use of the 48 hour window in the revenge clause.

(4) Use of two on one attacks.

I don't think the Goldteeth and the Big Beasts lacked players from the start. The creation of the Wompers took away players from the Ironheads, the Goldteeth and the Big Beasts. At one point, it was just ogreman and myself (until speedyturtle joined).

At one point ogreman and I were third among three nations.

So I don't think the Ironheads "just" got ahead of everybody.

9. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    You and Ogreman got ahead of the field by being more active than everyone else, once you where head of the field you used your strength to expand it... all I'm saying is teamwork came into play after you already had the advantage, then you used it to further expand that advantage. I'm not saying teamwork doesn't help, I'm saying you guys didn't win just because you guys played well together and no one else did.

Really it comes down to you Vyeh you won the Ironheads the game because you where the most active player, we all feel behind and you got the advantage, again I'm gonna say there is practically no catching up in this game if you fall behind your gonna stay behind unless the person your trying to catch lets you.

All I'm saying is it wasn't all teamwork, you and the Ironheads getting that early lead was the key.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  10. vyeh

Credit:
    When the Ironhead/Wompers truce began, ogreman, speedyturtle, awesomedrako, Eirik, p8ntitblack and sharpiejas were all at around 75% of CrazyCane (Big Beast), who I believe was at 200k. Compwhiz (Goldteeth) was at 300k. Rizzle Bizzle was there, but was a fairly new player and had no offense. I think ogreman, awesomedrako and your stats were roughly equivalent. I had spent my time at 2k, so I really didn't have much offense or defense (I think it was around 1 million).

Once CrazyCane was eliminated because of the DL violation, the Wompers had the natural lead.

We got the lead from awesomedrako, p8ntitblack and sharpiejas because we used 2-1 tactics (and took advantage of some Wompers employing 1-2 tactics).

The Ironheads had fallen behind for a long time because Eirik, then a Goldtooth, had made it his mission to destroy the Ironheads and had pushed all but one of them to 50% of his troop strength. This left only ogreman.

Once CrazyCane was eliminated by administrative action, the Wompers should have raced for the troop cap. Even from below us, they could have pushed Coffee Addict and myself below themselves and then rose as a block to challenge ogreman. (speedyturtle didn't have much defense.) Once they had pushed ogreman below them, they could have focused on you and speedyturtle whenever they wanted.

IMO ogreman ended the Wompers/Ironheads truce too early and we prevailed only because we would use two attackers to one defender at a time. (It helped when some Wompers tried one attacker on two defenders and we could use the revenge rule with two attackers.)

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Since everybody is obviously in favor of a reset, we will try to do that sometime in the next week:).

12. vyeh

Credit:
    I have set up polls on the revenge rule, the troop cap and on the number of nations.

I would suggest that players think about organizing nations.

Each nation could negotiate their national bonuses with ogreman, based on their experiences in the last session.

So far the results of the number of nations poll is 2-1 for 3 nations rather than 4, but if there are 4 groups of players, that could be accommodated.

I sort of imagine three natural groupings around which players could gather:

ogreman and Aaddron

key Wompers (I infer that they had an active forum at the end)

some of the Ironheads/Steelskulls

I have suggested that in the motto section of the nations, there be links to national threads in this forum so prospective players could "shop" before choosing their nations (the only screen prospective players have access to is the index screen with sign-up buttons).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  13. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I will play again after the reset! We needed a fresh start.

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Ok, OgreWars will be reset today for the third season:). Please be patient because this could take a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.