1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

How about that grind....

Discussion in 'Adventure Quest 3D' started by fletchrocket, Jun 11, 2019.

1. fletchrocket

fletchrocket Spiked Club New Ogre

Credit:
    So I've been playing AQ3D for almost a year now. I have had a blast playing and enjoying the new content they have put out in that time. In the last month or two they have instituted some new content and raised the level cap. All of those things are great. Unfortunately, they have also repeatedly put in a cycle of grinding that I'm just not mentally equipped to do. When they raised the level cap they put in the level token grind for the Hero of Hope set. Then they added new pets with the crate and cat quests and the baby shark drop in Aria's Pet Shop. This grind really ate at me because of one of the items drops off an insanely rare boss. Now they have upgraded to level 27 weapons and armor on the daily bosses and the hardened scale slayer armor set. The hardened scale slayer armor set wasn't that bad, but the daily boss grind has finally wrung any want to play the game out of me.

Am I the only one in this boat? Is this what AQ3D has always been, and I just haven't noticed in the last year? Any feedback would be appreciated.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  2. You wouldn't be the only person to have felt that way. A lot of people have expressed concerns about the game being too grindy, and there are even countless Steam reviews about the grind. Generally there are response feedback from Nythera about looking to improve the game and to make it less repetitive and less grindy, but the company is still in the pitfall that it's always claimed to be wanting to get out of. My guess for the feedback is to keep players optimistic to continue playing the game rather than to actually fulfill a promise, but I also think there's a huge communication problem considering the game's been in the same pitfall for a long while now.

Wilder94 likes this.
  3. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    One nice thing that they did with AQW was remove the grind for gear with stats by adding enhancements to replace them. I'm hoping they do something similar to that in AQ3d. They should leave all the grinding to cosmetic items.

Wilder94 likes this.
  4. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    AE is trying to give players something to do while getting pushing more content to AQ3D. It surely can feel grindy, but that's what MMORPGs are supposed to be. The gearing used to be more meaningful when we were weaker compared to how things are now. Do we need to get the new BiS items all the time? No, only those who wish to min-max their characters are going to do that. Stats on gear have went up to such absurd numbers that we can just solo most of the content on our own. There are players who don't min-max because they know there are going to be easier alternatives later which worriers me because it doesn't make gearing up feel as a meaningful goal to work to towards. The beginning of closed beta made feel weak and all the gear mattered and now, things are getting way too easy for us and we can just breeze through everything. When it comes to these new lvl 27 gear from daily bosses, why bother really? We don't have actual proper lvl 27 content yet where that gear would make a difference. Just all 25 epic gear from darkovia castle dungeons are enough, no need to go further if you are not a min-maxer. I don't want this game turn into just a dress up game.

Wilder94 likes this.
  5. Possible, but I doubt it. AE as a company wants to take heavy inspiration from World of Warcraft for their 3D game, so they want to strive to have features similar to that game more or less. The difference is that AQ3D is marketed more as a mobile game (technically cross-platform, but is gaining mobile players for the most part) and the company is small (limited tasks and features), and I think that's where the market audience differs the most. Grinding isn't going away, even if it's an unpopular opinion for the audience that the game caters most towards, just because that's AE's vision of the game. Innovation would be the crucial aspect of the game to retain the audience, and there's nothing to replace gameplay grind until PvP comes around.

6. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Honestly most mmorpg is about grinding, sometimes you even need to grind some raid bosses hundred and thousand times. Sometimes you need to grind mobs so much that can cause you puke so hard. But those mmorpg has auto battle features or skip instances to reduce grinding with or without paying

7. Wilder94

Wilder94 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It's always been like this, just get what you want don't get all the new stuff because that's just filler to distract you from the time they take making updates

8. Generally true, but it's also important to consider that MMORPGs aren't as popular on mobile devices as puzzle games like Candy Crush and time waster games like the clicker games and Flappy Bird. It's an entire sphere of audience and zeitgeist anew as the market for mobile games continue to skyrocket and other game genres (like MOBAs and Battle Royale) trek in popularity. That is where innovation becomes crucial, when the audience shows interest in newer games and ideas. Also, the PC side of gaming wants higher performance games with depth and realism while the mobile side of gaming wants gameplay that's simple and intuitive, and isn't there to drain you; it's really just two conflicting ideas that can't be blended in a lot of cases.

Wilder94 likes this.
  9. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    That is a good way to look at it. AQ3D being a cross platform MMORPG already conflicts itself already. AE threw a lot of potential away for sake of a selling point.

10. I don't think it's the cross-platform itself necessarily, just who the audience is that the idea for the game is going towards. There are already plenty of cross-platform games out there (console game that's also a PC game, mobile game that's also a PC game, and so on). Personally, I don't think the PC & mobile-supported MMORPGs would be as successful as something like PC & console-supported MMORPGs. There are already plenty of players out there who'd like to play AQ3D on a controller or some console like the Switch/PS4/Xbox One.

11. Archdragon

Credit:
    If AQ3D is exclusively made only for pc and console maybe I won't play it. As a busy person at work who only has limited time for fun, mobile game is the only thing I can play at break, I also cant play with pc as well at home since I have to take care my sons. My gaming laptop now is just collecting dust at the corner room and I just use it once a month to do work at home. My entertainment are tablet, smartphone, and my sons.
    And I believe half of AQ3D players are mobile users, if you asked AQ3D only to be pc/console exclusive, it's as same as asking Thanos to snap AQ3D players.

12. Yeah, the demographics and also the gameplay in respect to the demographics is a bit weird. A lot of people are more of the "on-the-go" type people playing leisurely, which often means less grinding. Console wouldn't be bad for something like the Nintendo Switch, but there's definitely a divide between gaming device (and demographics associated with the device) and the actual game, and there's no real solution.

13. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    It came across to me as AQ3D is a MMORPG that you can play on multiple devices and that's the point that would attract people in. Mobile gaming isn't as popular with MMORPG players compared to console and PC. I hope that this cross-platform business works out because AE is definitely not going to avert it, not a chance.

14. Archdragon

Credit:
    and we will have AQW mobile too in the future...

15. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Yes, that is something to wait for too if you want to play it that way.

16. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    The 2 lvl grind from 25 to 27 took me so long i just lvled up to 27 yesterday

17. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I said this almost a year ago. They make very hard drops but it's a cosmetic, they were quick to take thousands of dollars from us on kickstarter and acted like this game was gonna be like their original adventure quest, but just in 3d. This was an outright lie, no depth whatsoever. I don't care if they make an item 1/1000000 drop rate, if it had a unique effect. If weapons and items had actual stats, it would be justified. If we could apply status effects or have actual builds, it would be great. But they never planned on doing that from the start. Artix entertainment is an indie scam studio that used to survive on loyalty to their fans. Now they do it by lying to the same people that helped them survive all these years. It's been a trend with them for the last 3yrs+ now. They now only cater to those that'll pay without caring what they're paying for, the rest of us? To Adam bohn and his company, unless you don't mindlessly spend your money you no longer matter. The thousands you have spent? Doesn't matter. That's literally their attitude now.

18. I do agree that anything hard to obtain really should have stats added on to it; it makes sense logically. If the item is cosmetic-only, generally people complain about why it's a ridiculously low drop, but they'll farm for it anyway either because they like the item or they're in the "rare hunting" mentality. Personally, I think cosmetic-only items should only be reserved for shop items (not craft shops, but shops like collection shops, HeroMart shops and shops requiring actual money spent, and regular shops where you just spend gold). For things like drops, quest rewards, and craft shops, stats make the most sense, especially since all of that requires more effort than simply buying from a shop.

And stats definitely could use more diversity. I remember the Blood Vampire / Gold Vampire / Black Vampire armor set being heavily criticized for bearing similar stats to one another. For instance, Blood Vampire could be a health-haste-build set, Gold Vampire could be a defense-crit-build set, and Black Vampire could be an attack-evasion-build set.

19. Pinkyz

Pinkyz Banned

Credit:
    Have to grind a new weapon a weapon thinking of making the ashfall wepaom but ashfall is expensive now weapon cost 40k
    Might look somewhere else

20. Archdragon

Credit:
    I already tell you that hard grinder cosmetic item mostly just for seasonal event. And we have plenty hard to grind gear with stats already and why AE hesitated to put "hard drop by sake of RNG goddess" item with status because majority (the cysero twitter vote) doesnt really like if meta gear is only gainable by praying to RNG, that's why most meta gear is a normal rare drop (not super hyper rare) from meta boss like Bludregen, Akriloth, and Arcanewolf, sometimes they even put it as craftable item but of course with hard grind to compensate if your luck suck.