1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Coins or bills?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Heromanguy12, May 11, 2020.

1. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Everyone has some amount of physical currency in their wallets. In what form do you prefer to have them in? Coins or bills?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Bills for sure. Coins are a pain to carry imo. Coins are a lot nicer to look at an hold though. Plastic/NFC > everything else, in terms of day to day use imo.

3. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    I can understand why you prefer bills, but it can be painful sometimes when you have to break those big bills into coins.

4. Heartt

Heartt Brute

Credit:
    I don't prefer either because they both have permanent damage

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I could see that, yeah.

Huh?

6. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    Could you elaborate on this? It's a bit confusing without context.

7. Heartt

Heartt Brute

Credit:
    I mean money sometimes doesn't solve everything. I saw many people who had a lot of money but were sick. some had good health but no money. the middle of the two is the most reasonable. :)

8. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    It might not solve everything, but I wouldn't ignore it.

9. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Fully digital transactions is my preference, but failing that bills. I only carry coins when I've been given coins as change and I can't immediately turn around and dump them in a coin donation spot.

Once upon a time I carried a change purse of primarily bills with some coins, but at this point I'd be happy to never deal with physical currency again.

10. Heromanguy12

Credit:
    They are very convenient indeed, but it doesn't hurt to have some pocket change just in case. Completely full wallet filled with coins isn't that great to carry around and those coins can eventually just start flooding out.

11. There are pros and cons to both. Generally, coins are harder for people to pickpocket when you're on vacation, especially in small denominations, but they're also heavier and easier to lose. Paper money is easier to handle, but not always the best for transaction (sometimes you can't make an exact change); and paper money usually has a higher denomination, so if you somehow lose a $100 bill, then that's just bad luck. I don't think there's really a definitive option.

Generally I prefer paper money, but I think it's more convenient to have a plastic card as long as you're careful with where you put it; if you're on vacation where pickpocketing is a problem, I'd probably recommend putting your wallet somewhere other than your back pocket, either in your side pocket with a wallet chain tied to your belt strap, or inside of one of your shoes above your toes (just make sure your shoes are tied well).