1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you enjoy mmorpg games with death penaties?

Discussion in 'Free MMORPG' started by BeastCastle, Apr 10, 2020.

Do death penalties make the game more fun?

1. You die, take everything away!! Hahaha!!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I am fair, take half

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Go easy, slap on the wrist

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Welcome to fairyland! Death is but a myth!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. BeastCastle

BeastCastle MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    What are your thoughts?

2. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    There should always be some kind of penalty for getting knocked out in a MMORPG. It doesn't feel right to get away with death so easily, you know?

ZaRaV likes this.
  3. ZaRaV

ZaRaV MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    yes that's the trill of it, u worry not to die if there's a penalty like losing EXP or Game Currency

4. Depends on what the penalties are and to what extent it affects the gameplay, but generally no. For instance, say you went to a dungeon, and you lose all of your dungeon loot if you die in the dungeon; I find that to be frustrating, especially if it already takes a long time to form a team and it takes several attempts to advance. Penalties that act like bottlenecks to game progression are generally the worse, especially if the game encourages you to pay real currency somehow (e.g. if a dungeon has a # of tries you can attempt and you have to pay to continue playing through the dungeon after the imposed limit). But small penalties like losing a bit of gold or a bit of experience aren't too bad, just as long as it's possible to earn your losses back at a reasonable pace.

5. Crylight

Crylight BamBam

Credit:
    One of the most annoying things in mmorpgs are games where killing someone doesn't give you anything

6. I've never really been a fan of MMORPGs where killing players reward you their items; it just seems too harsh, and there are other problems that arise from it like griefing.

7. Nihilist

Nihilist Elite Ogre Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I don’t mind a mild DP in mmos , rogue like games are dif though .

8. Nilores

Nilores Guest

Credit:
    Yeah, I feel that maybe there should be like a 15% money cut when you die.. but you can save it by depositing money in a bank or ATM.So it's more like your fault if you lose any money and there will actually be a reason for which the bank is called a bank(aq3d)

9. I think a 15% money cut for dying is ridiculous, because that's scaled proportionally to how much money you already have. For instance, if you're carrying 10 million gold, then you lose 1.5 million gold, and I don't consider it to be the fault of the player for carrying that much, because there are games where there are items that you can purchase for millions of dollars or features like auctions, so it wouldn't be a good idea to lose that amount.

If there has to be money loss, it has to be at a fixed amount or on a logarithmic scale, not at some percentage of your total money.

10. Archdragon

Archdragon DA BIG CLUB Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I am never a fan of death penalty, I play for fun, not to be stressed over penalty by the death, especially from mmorpg which relies a lot from internet connection. Imagine playing perma death lost all save plus item mmorpg then when you fight the boss suddenly you get disconnected, it will hurt a lot.

11. I don't think it's that stressful, but it just depends on how severe the penalty is (how much do you lose?). Unstable Internet connection would definitely be a frustration for just about any MMORPG in any situation, but usually you just get used to it by getting to the point where you were moments ago (as long as it wasn't a huge loss). Some games, instead of marking either a win / loss, would sometimes use a DNF or disqualified marker without penalty, but I think that would just encourage people to use a loophole instead of taking a loss, so I'm not sure what the best way to have a fair system would be, other than not implementing a death penalty to a video game at all.