1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with getting a new computer

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Glazed, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Well, while I might manage with a custom computer, a pre-made one is also good. Basically, I want the cheapest possible gaming rig that can easily (enough) run the newest games with high graphics that is either a Windows 7 or a Windows XP.

Here's why. I like games. I'm interested in MMORPGs, even if they're P2P and the F2P ones aren't nearly as good (IMO). However, most P2P MMOs and even some F2P ones are high-graphiced, and I have a crap computer.

It's a Windows Vista (which sucks) with a weak PSU, a weak graphics card (for this time), and may even need more RAM. I'll post the specs. One thing that made me think of getting a new one is watching a video of TOR. Actually, I've been thinking of a new one for awhile, but this made me think and encourage myself.

Now, I may not be able to play P2P games because my parents would have to pay for it, and they may not agree unless I do a little something extra, and I think and they may thing why when I have other games and when money is getting tight around the house? So, I may not be able to until I'm older, but I somehow got this optimistic attitude.

Another reason I may not, is the fact that, my computer sucks, like I said above, and will post specs of. I could get a new one for Christmas this year or my birthday next year (maybe my B day this year, but unlikely), but Dad decided to make a deal with me, although I'm not sure if he remembers or not.

Basically, remember to do a bit more chores and do my school work and finish it on time for the next few months, and I'll prove to be responsible and disciplined enough to be trusted to do things when I'm told to, and I can get a new computer. Doesn't sound hard when I think about it, but I guess I am a lazy person. I do procrastinate.

So, basically, the only way I can get a new computer and play P2P games or high graphiced games on the PC is if I succeed in this challenge and maybe my parents can pay for it (but I don't care since it's not needed), I get a job when I'm old enough, or wait until I'm on my own and make my own money and have my own place, which is a few years from now, though it still feels long.

Then, I can get whatever I want without the guilt and trouble of having my parents pay for it. However, by then, I may be so busy with my social life, keeping up with bills and college work, I may not have time for games anymore, or atleast not all year long like I do now.

I can't help but to sound and feel like a little kid talking about this, really. Nobody cares about me talking about my life or anything like that. I got carried away.

However, with the original request, what's the best cheapest gaming rig for the next 5 or more years? Like, is there one for under 1k? Is there a website for this? Is there a pre-made computer for this I can get? Is there a picture I can use as a motivational poster and reminder?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Defiantly computers under 1k that work just fine for gaming, actually most "gaming computer" have way more power than they actually need to play 95% of games on max settings(MMO for the most part have low specs compared to most games), plus most games aren't optimized to use newer technology for example lots of games don't take advantage of a dual core... which is out dated by the quad core... which is out dated by the i series(some games actually run better on a little older hardware even though the newer is more powerful). So you don't need the latest and greatest to have a relevant computer for the next 5 years.

The best way to go is shop around building it yourself online, just go to dell, hp etc... website pick the best bang for your buck base model then add on to it.

It would be best not to do it now either because if you wont be getting a new computer for possibly another year anything you build now will be outdated by the time you buy it.

3. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Thanks for the useful and hopeful information. How do I post my computer specs?

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    idk I don't usually run Windows, try:

Click on Start -> Run and type 'dxdiag' without quotes

5. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    And if that doesn't let you know, someone also said that for a new graphics card, I need a new PSU, but because of how crappy my comp is, I'm better off just getting a new and made-for-gaming computer.

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    Use this website to check your computers hardware compared to required hardware for games:

Futuremark - Games

7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Well if you want to get a powerful computer, save yourself money, and learn a little something you could build your own computer. Parts off of Newegg are usually pretty cheap and I have a way of getting free stuff from Newegg too (and yes it's legal). Plus it's getting easier and easier to do it, all you really need is a screwdiver and half a brain. And I've got an eBook of "Building a PC for Dummies" too. PM me if you want more info on that. And I'd like to point out that your OS matters very little. Everyone likes to say that Vista sucks but I actually have Vista on both my desktop and laptop and love it. I've used 7 before and it's nice but I still prefer Vista. I actually had a chance to upgrade to 7 for only like $30 bucks but I decided not to. Most of the "problems" your having with Vista is probably due to other stuff. But if you seem so intent of hating Vista I guess you should go with XP over 7. Less RAM to run it and it's cheaper. Post what type of MMO's you want to play and I'll give you more details.

8. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    That's great info! The three MMOs I wanna play lately is Champions online, The Old Republic (but isn't out yet), and Global Agenda.

Actually, my comp CAN run Global Agenda, but it still lags even at the log-in screen, so it most likely will barely play in the actual game.

Also, I hear Champions Online lags a little even on a medium-end computer.

I did a scan with the website. It says my comp's states are half the minimum system requirements are for the game. My processor is as strong as the recommended, but the graphics card is alot less than the minimum requirement.

However, it says that I can't run Red Alert 3, yet I run RA3 all the time, and it's fine. Plus, RA3 lets me turn it's graphics down alot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    Well OS does matter for gaming, DX10 isn't support officially in XP and DX11 was back ported to Vista, I'd defiantly go 7 because it supports DX11 and beyond, anything after DX11 wont be backported to Vista. DX11 isn't used much right now but I've seen what it can do and it's defiantly gonna be necessary.

I'd also buy from Dell, HP etc, because while yes you can sometimes "build" a computer cheaper, computer prices have come done a lot, find the right sale and you can get a good computer for $400-600 with Windows 7 and a full 1-3 year warranty.

7 is a good 150-300 by itself, you can get warranties on the parts but it wont be as easy as just paying a little for a pre-build system. Also this route you'll be installing the OS yourself.

Now I've reinstalled XP a couple times and I can tell you it's a pain in the freakin neck, don't have all your disc drivers you can forget it... Vista is a lot better but depending on the hardware it can still be a pain... for example Vista SP1 wont connect through Ethernet connection on my computer after a fresh install... an Ethernet connection... just plain stupid... 7 is by far the best, haven't had any real problems installing it.

I agree with PSU Vista isn't bad if you have the right hardware, the most common case is lack of ram, Microsoft decided the minimum RAM is 1GB... most the time it's over 1G when doing nothing... really you need at least 2GB but I'd suggest 4GB.

10. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Also, I updated my post. I'm still reading your new one.

Also, it says I can run Star Wars: Empire at War, and it's just as good looking (if not better than) as RA3.

11. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's not perfect and it's not suppose to be what you can and can not play, it's just to give an idea on about what you can run and what it will be like.

What a game looks like and the actual requirements to run it are two different things, I know of games that look as bad as ps1 games but have requirement that are on par with newer games just because they didn't optimize there game engine.

12. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Yeah, I kinda figured. I can't think of anything else to say right now. It's dinner time. :X

13. Vikeadyn

Vikeadyn Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    You can always upgrade.

Well some woodlyn creature told me at one time that if you want to run games smoother and bigger ones with limited lag. Get a memory stick or two installed.

Memory sticks are not expensive as they use to be, and easy to install. I got two 1 gig memory sticks for 60 dollars a piece on my PC. Even if you have only a 512mb Graphics card? Sticks will help out with those bigger MMORPG's we all love.

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    RAM will only help you so much, for example if you have to play a game on the lowest possible setting getting more RAM will not make that change, the game may be smoother depending on how much RAM you started with but it wont make you able to play at higher graphics settings than your CPU and/or GPU can do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  15. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    RAM is not that important. And even if it was, if you seriously paid $60 per gig your computer is probably pretty old as most nowadays have 2 GB minimum, my computers all have 3-4 to start. For example, my laptop has 3 gigs of RAM yet it still can't run new high-quality games like Splinter Cell: Conviction and Battlefield Bad Company 2. I don't play most games like that on my PC anyway so it doesn't make a difference but still, if that's what you want to do RAM won't solve all your problems.

16. Vikeadyn

Vikeadyn Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I am not sure about my computer being all that old.. I just had to get a new Motherboard, around 3 weeks ago. Since my 1g Graphics Card or my 550 watt power supply burned out my Asus motherboard's Controller. I have a 350 g Hard Drive, 1g graphics Card, and 2 1 g memory sticks.. I am planning on getting 2 more 1 gig memory sticks soon since my new Motherboard has 4 Stick slots, I my's well use the other slots.

Anyways.... I am not saying that with the memory sticks installed on Glazes PC will let him run bigger MMORPG's with all settings max. I am saying that it will help him with some of the lag issues he said he is having problems with those MMORPG's hes playing, with the settings on low.

I dunno RAM is somewhat the cheaper way to run games with less lag issues. But he said his parents may help out, Then Hell, go down the better route.

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's not guaranteed to do anything though, the only way it would improve anything is if the computer is lacking RAM.

If you get another two sticks make sure you have a 64-bit CPU, if it's 32-bit it will only use up to 3.2gb of RAM, and if that's the case your better off just getting one more and lose .2GB of RAM. Also check if your OS is 64-bit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  18. REvilGamer

REvilGamer Little Spike

Credit:
    I like my Dell Inspiron 1545 ^_^ ran my games so far without a hitch, and has Windows7 64-bit.
    (only problem is my printer is not compatible XD)

19. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Uh, someone told me the RAM is ok. It's mainly the PSU and the graphics card.

I played Champions online. It runs. I have to set all the graphics settings really low, but it still looks good. I can choose to turn on half-resolution, but it causes everything to look very pixelated.

20. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Don't go with a Dell. That being said, my laptop is a Dell. Great computer but overpriced and not what you want for the needs you have said so far. If you decide to buy rather than build you can never go wrong with an HP, who have the highest customer satisfaction. Back in the day (when Windows 95) was just released, I paid top dollar for an HP desktop. Greatest computer I ever owned. It lasted me nearly 10 years, sure near the end Windows 95 became annoyingly slow compared to my laptop (not the Dell I mentioned above, the Dell is my new one) which had XP, but still, not a single hardware problem for a decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.