1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with getting a new computer

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Glazed, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Someone on the Champions Online forums told me that I don't even have a video card. Just a little-something in place of one, and a very old little-something, at that.

But, champions online runs, and that's almost all that matters. It still looks better than some games I play. Even if the graphics are set on low and things look pixelated.

It's still nice. The thought of playing this with little lag and better looks.

2. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    You are doing good if you can play Champions Online. That game has very high PC requirements.

3. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    Yeah. Though, It still would be nice if I could run it in higher settings.

4. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Agreed. Playing a loaded game on a sweet rig is fun. I just wish you weren't required to buy a new rig every year or so to keep up:(

5. Glazed

Glazed Banned

Credit:
    I've been told that if you got a custom rig, it's more unique, you can upgrade it instead of getting a new computer, you can put whatever you want into it and keep out what you don't want and don't need, and it's cheaper.

Some parts shopping and a little work (if you put it together yourself) will be worth it in a long run. :)

And, I"m pretty sure you don't need to get a new rig every year to keep up, but my computer is sorta old.

6. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Depends on how it's done, I bought mine pre-built and I doubt it would of been better if it was custom built, my computer was only a few $100 and came with great specs aside from the graphics card and I had the ability to get a 3 year warranty, with the warranty and I know this from another computer I have if anything in the computer dies they will determine the cause over the phone and send certified repair man to your door for free and at your convenience. It was either the mother board or the graphics card that died, they replaced both just to be safe, no questions asked, free of charge and repair was only a couple days after calling in the issue.

I'm not saying custom built PC's aren't the way to go just making sure people know what they are getting themselves into, sure you can save some money but you also lose free support and repair, which if you have a problem can add up to more than the savings.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  7. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:

I see where you're coming from Aaddron but I'm going to have to disagree with ya here. Warranty's are a great assurance if you're buying something that couldn't be fixed easily. For example, when purchasing a laptop you want a warranty. When buying an iPod, you want a warranty. But for desktops, fixing it really isn't as impossible as it once was. Let's say you buy all your parts for your computer, put it together, and something doesn't work. Go back and exchange it. In many cases, if hardware works when you first use it it should at least last you pretty while as long as you treat it well. If not and let's say a part of your computer isn't working, it's probably only going to cost $100 or less for that individual part to be fixed. I don't know about you, but when I bought my laptop I paid $120 for a 1-year warranty. So all in all the cost of getting a year warranty or just fixing your PC up is about the same. In addition, when building a desktop you get the learning experience of learning about computers much more than if you simply bought one. And yes, buying a computer is cheap nowadays, you can get a nice setup for a few hundred, like you said. But if you're willing to spend the money plus a few hours working with a screwdriver you can get a fantastic computer that is built to do everything you need it to just right. For me having a computer that does every job I want it to is better than buying which is built for a general user. Just my 2¢.

8. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    My warranty was completely free. As I've said in previous post, you can still get warranties on all the parts so I agree my last post isn't completely correct but you still lose the free support. I agree on desktops it's easy to replace stuff but it's not always easy to figure out what the problem is, if you get a black screen when you start up the computer what is the problem? I've heard everything from a stuck numlock key(button itself wasn't stuck) to the CPU being fried, sometimes it's simple sometimes it's not... replacing parts via warranty can be a hassle depending on who it's through too.

My computer has nothing I don't want, I picked a base model then picked the hardware from the provided choices(which was hardware I wanted) aside from the graphics card cuz I knew it didn't need an upgrade out of the box.

Fixed Windows by reinstalling it right when I got it.

So basically I built my own computer online by finding the model that had the hardware options I wanted and selecting them and then reinstalling Windows or another OS when I first got it.

I don't prefer one way over another, I just pick which way I can get the best deal and at the time it was a pre-built computer, did hours of shopping around and planning and it's just how it came out. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.