1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Flash or PHP? What do you think is better?

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by hypokill, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hypokill

hypokill Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I know Flash is no dout the future but who says PHP games can't be equally as popular? What do you prefer? I've been spending too much time with my game to be playing them. So i have no preference, except i do quite like mine :p (which is PHP)

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    PHP is probably easier for online multilayer games. In fact, we hope to make Ogre Wars into a full PHP game someday:).

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Well... from what I know, PHP seems to be for games that would be mini-websites of their own, where you click stuff, it goes to another page, and stuff happens. But,a Flash game is entirely self contained. You load it, and then you won't need to click to another page again. Flash is also used for animation, so it allows for more 'conventional' games.

Anyway, I don't know much about PHP, so I might be wrong, but that's my view.

4. hypokill

Credit:
    it's a fair opinion. I find a lot of PHP games to be far too simple. Yeah the refreshing is always a problem but i think i've managed to do some more advanced things with PHP in my game. Thanks your opinion

5. dballerp

dballerp BamBam

Credit:
    Flash is more convenient, but php is easier for multi. That's IMO anyways

6. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    By the way, you seem to know about PHP, could you explain exactly how a PHP game could work? If I'm correct, it should work just like Ogre Wars, where you click, and then it goes to another webpage, and something happens.

7. hypokill

Credit:
    that is exactly how php works, it sends information on with a page reload with either a GET or a POST method. The GET method comes up in the URL like gameogre.com/index.php?Test=Get

the bit at the end is your get method, the post method isn't visible unlike the GET. The depending if these GET or POST variables exist you can make something else happen.

8. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Neither, really. What I really care about is the quality of the game, not the platform it is based on.

Also, PHP does a lot more than just accept variables, especially if you mix it with something like Javascript, which doesn't require a page load to continue.

9. hypokill

Credit:
    yeah theres ways to do that with javascript, but it's very CPU extensive. The only thing javascript can do is seamless loading so you don't notice it is loading dynamically. I had enough problems with my chat in my game which ended up crashing 2 servers and resulted in 3 server changes. Javascript can do some on the fly things but there is always loading involved to pass on the variables to make changes to what's happening when it comes to PHP. If the game was entirely coded in JavaScript then you wouldn't need page reloads. Though i'm sure that will be a task and a half to get such a thing working in all browsers. Though in the most cases it's the idea of the game and the time taken to perfect it.

10. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I get how it works now. The seamless loading is also why I think Flash games will be better.

11. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    php is better than flash, it's easier and more useful. Flash only beats php when you need to make something like dynamic maps.

12. shugo

Credit:
    the most convenient combination of php with javascript is a style called ajax

AJAX Tutorial

13. shugo

Credit:
    it doesn't have to be simple, my game is pretty complicated if i may say so myself

14. hypokill

Credit:
    i've heard about you shugo, you the other developer ogreman told me about. Your game looks ingenious. Have you seen mine? Money Merchants Empire

Thank you for your opinion. Also drako i agree flash is a more unbeatable platform in so many ways Though i still think PHP and javascript can make for an enjoyable MMORPG

15. shugo

Credit:
    I visited the homepage. It looks nice. Is it a tycoon game?

16. hypokill

Credit:
    not quite, its a strange idea you'd have to see and play it to understand

17. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Woah... Is this game PHP? It looks like Flash to me, but I'm no web developer, and I normally just think animations=Flash :D.

Is this a type of strategy game? What genre is it?

18. hypokill

Credit:
    who's game you referring to? Also mine is a RPG.

19. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Referring to yours. I was talking about how the home page has a lot of animation. Loads quickly though, in contrast to those websites that are heavy in flash (*cough* Assassin's Creed *cough*).

20. hypokill

Credit:
    no it's entirely gif animation, PHP, html, CSS and a bit of JavaScript. No flash used what so ever :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.