1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft vs RuneScape

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by ogreman, Jan 17, 2009.

Which game should be GameOgre.com's Best MMORPG of 2008?

1. World of Warcraft

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. RuneScape

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Well, it looks like WoW is going to win here, but it doesn't look good for the regular voting in the Review Directory with about an hour left.

2. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    Comon runescape, pick up the pace.

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    It's so close right now with 10 minutes left that any vote could decide the outcome. In fact, Shizen could have tipped the lead to WoW if he voted down RuneScape when he gave WoW a 10:).

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, regular voting is now closed.

RuneScape wins 6.2 to 6.1.

5. ScareCrow

ScareCrow Not just a Scared Crow The Pit

Credit:
    ZOMG go runescape!!!

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
  7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    No offense to Weehut but I didn't really like the comparison... you missed a few things but it was still well done.

Congrats to RuneScape!

8. blackvaultz

blackvaultz BamBam

Credit:
    im shocked that runescape won it doesnt even make sense well gw is still in there i hope it kicks runescapes ass

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I know many people will hate the result here, but that is the way it happened. It was a fun match though:).

I think Weehut did a good job because it is not an easy comparison at all. If anybody wants to try to do it better, I will be glad to publish it here.

10. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Its a shame the votes here didn't count instead lol.

11. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Hmm... could you please explain the few missed things?

I'd really like to get my reviews better, any help is much appreciated :p

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Tutorial Island is gone, hm... I can't find the other one :( It was something small. Other than that I just didn't like a couple of the rating. It was well written though. :)

13. Weehut

Weehut Spiked Club

Credit:
    Ohh, tutorial island is gone, I just tried Runescape HD...

But now it's some random dragon quest thingy that sends you across the map.

Thanks though for the update ;)

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    I miss the island :(

15. Eluvetie

Eluvetie BamBam

Credit:
    Gratz to RuneScape. Despite what many may say, it truly deserved the win.

16. Blackhawk23

Blackhawk23 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I'm sad I missed the discussion, here is my opinion anyway

Comparing World of Warcraft to Runescape is hard for me because atm I play both games and for diferent reasons.

1.Many Classes to explore ex. Rogue, Mage, Druid
    The Classes have there simialarities and diferences, but leveling each and playing them is different and keeps me interested each time trying to get that next talent or level.
    Runescape is just 3 classes based on how you level your stats warrior, mage, ranged
    2.Speaking of Talents
    In each of the classes in wow there are 3 talent trees to choose from and you spend points you get from leveling(1 per level) into categories to improvev your character with spells and abilities to match your playing style.
    In RS the only spells available are if you leveled some of you magic ability which vary but not as much as they do in wow and aren't as much as the average character in wow has. Ranged and Warrior if you have no magic have the standard attack button...period nothing else...see what i'm getting at
    3.Gear
    In World of Warcraft there are many ways to get gear. You can get some friends together to run through an instance to get gear. Just from questing or killing mobs you get gear as well andd i's almost always diferent. Also you can turn in honor (kinda like tokens you get from the diferent pvp minigames in runescape like Fist of Guthix) for weapons, armor, rings, trinkets and helpful potions and food. Then there's always the Professions.
    4. Professions
    Every character can have two professions in addition to cooking(to make food with helpful abilities like stat boosts) first aid(heals you) and fishing(can be cooked for cool stat boosts or just straight up eaten raw with fun perks like turning into a ninja or pirate)

The Professions each are diferent and have interesting benefits and rewards.
    Gathering Professions (used to obtain materials for other professions and to sell to other players)
    Mining (use picks to mine ore then smelt it into bars)
    Skinning (use a skinning knife to skin animals and get leather)
    Herbalism (pick up flowers and plants off the ground)

Crafting (make stuff to help or wear)
    Blacksmithing (use bars to create armor and weapons. Also gives other perks)
    Leatherworking (use skins to create armor and enhancements to leg armor)
    Engineering (create bombs, scopes for ranged weapons, goggles, exploding sheep, motorcycle to ride, helicopter to fly. This is a fun one and is always a great way to have some fun while leveling and playing your character.)
    Alchemy( make potions and certain kinds of metal bars)
    Inscription(create glyphs which further enhance characters)
    Enchanting(adds stats and bonuses to weapons and armor, also makes wands.)
    Tailoring( uses cloth that drops off mobs to make armor)

Proficincies
    there are different types of weapons and armor in wow that each class has access to. This may sound annoying, but is actually a blessing because instead of having everyone who melee dps rolling on one item you may have only rogues able to fully use daggers, or hunters able to use bows to there fullest. Same goes with armor.

Plate: armor Paladins, Death Knights, Warriors
    Mail: Shamans, Hunters
    Leather: Druids, Rogue
    Cloth: Mages, Warlocks, Priests

Plate wearers can where Plate mail leather and cloth
    Mail can where Mail leather and cloth
    etc.

The weapon types are:
    Polearms
    one handed and 2handed axe sword mace
    Staves
    Wands
    Crossbows
    Bows
    daggers

Runescape have stuff like this too but everyone wants everything driving prices up

PVE (player versus environment)
    At level 8 (which takes about 2 hours to get to as the first 10 levels are more of tutorials to get used to your character) as long as you are on the Horde faction you get access to instances. Instances are 5 person dungeons you go through with a group of 5 people to get gear and xp for your character. diference here between runescape is in wow there is only a max of 5 people for instances while leveling and runescape can be as much people as you get together to do this, but in WoW it's easier to find people for dungeons as it's a set system while in rs you will stand around the grand exchange or a bank and spam chats looking for someone else. In wow you fight some strong monsters then get to a boss who is gauranteed to drop something good just about everytime to reward you for overcoming him (btw this is at any level you can do these) In RS the dungeon is a bunch of monsters standing around to be farmed that may or may not just start attacking you depending on the dude, there's just about always a money drop and always gold and a small chance of dropping something good based on who the monster is or what level it is.

Combat
    Wow lots of abilities to use and less repetetive

Runescape spam one move or spell repeatedly until the monster dies...repeat

Pvp
    wow massive combat between many people or smallscale combat Battle tactics are more needed.
    lose durability on death

RS there are pvp servers now where you fight eachother for loot, but the most standard pvp can be found in minigames or jumping over a boundary fighting till your gonna lose then jumping back over.
    LOSE MOST OF YOUR GEAR ON DEATH

These are the diferences I have to point out without going into a 5 hour writing spree to explain why I think wow is better.

What it comes down to. WoW is better if you are comparing just gameplay. If you are a kid with no job or willing parent or an adult who doesn't feel like paying to much runescape is cheap and a great way to pass time...Wow on the other hand is expensive and requires a good computer and ccan be hard to play just anywhere do to long download time

In a nutshell WoW is a better game for you to devote your time and play with friends.

In Runescape you mindlessly farm until you hit 99 in every stat and find there's nothing left to do...in wow you get to max levels and the game offers 10man and 25man raids and massive pvp to do at the end to do for hours and offers gear to continue customizing Also wow updates more often then runescape and the updates are more packed with things to do.

Quests in runescape are annoying imo and offer rewards not worth walking back and forth the world of runescape and buying stuff with hard earned gold to do the quest

in wow they are active the whole time and don't leave me bored

RS10 points for playing anywhere and affordable
    Wow 10 points for being an imersive game and offering more then just senseless grinding.

Edit email me at [email protected] to discuss or talk with me. I'd appreciate it if you didn't enter my email into a spam server

17. mattse123

mattse123 Big Brute

Credit:
  18. Spzero

Spzero MMORPGer

Credit:
    I believe that is Warcraft by far

Runescape's graphics give me a headache half the time =P

19. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    Close match. I never liked WoW but it has way better graphics then Runescape.

20. TheAdomst

TheAdomst Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Even though WoW lost I still would like to say:

Building canoes,Who cares when you can fly.
    Make fires...yes WoW does that.
    Fishing...WoW does that too.
    Build Weapons...Who cares when they give you what you need through hardwork and determination.
    You can build your own armor.
    Q:Does Runescape have major cities that are all connected through Trade Chat and a Auction house all connected?
    I happen to know about this Mage Tower...You walk through the portal and there is the Mage trainer...Also can you Port to various major cities.
    Is there 2 different factions that fight it off.
    Just because WoW cost money which it isn't alot a month $15.
    Doesn't mean it is worse.
    Oh and questing...There was a quest where you had to walk from one person to the person 2 feet away.And it gave you exp.
    You can cook,fish,collect herbs,skin,mine,create potions,Leatherwork,Blacksmith,Cloth making,need I find more It's hard as is to remember it all.As a engineer you can make many things.Like a machine that will attempt to shock a person back to life.They can also create helicopters.Cloth peoples can make Flying Carpets. Just to say I have played Runescape before...Frankly I found it boring. I play WoW,City of Heroes/Villains...but it is boring too...Always wish WoW would implement bases...Perfect World...and a new one...I started to play Shaiya right now. Ofcourse I am a WoW player and I wish WoW would have won.
    Q:You tell us WoW players to try RS....Have you even tried WoW??!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.