1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

romegames

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by shugo, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Is Roma still in alpha testing?

2. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yeah it still is, unfortunately :(

I haven't got around finishing the AI pathfinding for the barbarians on the battlemap and world map. That is the only part that doesn't work yet.

3. rtkwar

rtkwar Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    about rome

istart understand your game but iwant know if ican fight human players too or only barbrian

4. shugo

Credit:
    Yes you can fight them too, but only in the arena. You can also race against human players in the circus. On the worldmap though it's only barbarians (AI) thusfar. It's the battlemap and diplomacy of the barbarians (AI) that doesn't work yet. I'm thinking about pvp on the battlemap in case of say a civil war, but I haven't thought of a way of how to do that yet, so I may decide not to implement that afterall. The problem with pvp on the battlemap is what happens when someone has to wait their turn. With 20 or so turns it would simply take too long in a day, unless both sides were online at exactly the same time.

I'm also thinking about implementing a shadowy side to Roma, where players who band up in a collegium can steal and murder, but I haven't decided yet how powerful that should be or else the in-game economy will be disrupted too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  5. rtkwar

Credit:
    ihave problem with map too but isolve this problem icancel map from my game

6. shugo

Credit:
    seems a bit sad don't it? A game without a map. I like to keep my game with a map, it's not all important in terms of gameplay, as there are other ways, but it just looks a lot better with a map than plain old text.

7. shugo

Credit:
    You know I also put a short tutorial on youtube.

Roma - YouTube

just click on one of the three parts inside the video and it will take you to a short tutorial. Most tutorials last about 1 minute.

If you've still have trouble understanding the game, then that tutorial will at least teach you the very basics of the game.

8. rtkwar

Credit:
  9. rtkwar

Credit:

and iwant know how you can know information about visitor hor u know if some one from cairo or paris or london,u can tell me?
    and iwill start learn draw because if iwant make good game imust use good graphic and if iwant make good graphic imust learn draw
    ;)

10. shugo

Credit:
    Java isn't the same as javascript, there is a huge difference between the two. There is a lot you can do in java, that you can't do in javascript, for instance java is suitable cross platform, where as javascript isn't necessarily.

11. shugo

Credit:
    In my script you IP adres is fetched upon registration and login. Like so:

Code:
    $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

The variable $ip is then stored in the sql database. I occasionally check the IP. I can do a whois on the IP adres here:

IP Address Lookup

then I use common sense and cross reference data with other stored data, since there's only one other user from Cairo I assumed it was you.

12. shugo

Credit:
    I use this information to check if players are cheating, it's not 100% accurate, but it works most of the time.

On another note....

If you are thinking about learning Java instead of Javascript. Java is really well suited for complex graphics. I am thinking about learning it myself, because it is useful to make sprites or 3d graphics, which I want to use to make a 3d model of Rome, complete with buildings like you see in Rome Total War. It isn't easy to learn though. Javascript and php are easier to learn.

If you really want to use Java for graphics, you should learn about textures first and how to compile those graphic applets into your program. Textures are really neat but difficult to make yourself, fortunately there are a lot of free textures available. I found a torrent called "Datacraft" with over 30GB in textures, so you don't necessarily need to learn how to draw yourself. It's really great, it has every imaginable kind of texture in it. If you have textures then all you need to do yourself is write the coordinates system of your 3d model and the textures into a module that you compile into your Java program.

With Java complete, you still need to transcribe the java applet to plain html. You can also let Java communicate with sql and thus create an interactive game. Java with sql is a lot more difficult to learn than php with sql.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  13. shugo

Credit:
    but right now I'm attempting to mix a background sound with wav samples into an MP3 file that I want to use for my background music.

You can find my first trial MP3 here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/stratdvd

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  14. rtkwar

Credit:
    ihv 4 books about java but idon't read any 1
    idownload this book (Killer Game Programming in Java)
    Overview:

15. rtkwar

Credit:
    yes, ihope you can make your game like rome tottal war or you can make it like empire tottal war

16. shugo

Credit:
    looks like a good book to me, I might try and find a free copy of it

17. hypokill

hypokill Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Sorry if i offend you... But why start a fresh game.. Surly you could have continued on with shugo? Built that bigger instead of starting again?

18. shugo

Credit:
    no offense taken... and actually Shugo may return afterall, look at the sitemap on my site. The new shugo has a new map and graphics. The graphics are SVG, so you need Firefox or Internet Explorer 9. For lower versions of internet explorer you'll have to download an SVG viewer plugin from adobe. That plugin doesn't seem to work though on windows vista, but it should work on windows XP.

The reason that I took shugo down, is because there were too few players left in november 2010 to make the game interesting. Shugo needs a minimum of about 6 players to keep things fun, competitive and interesting. In november 2010 there were only 5 players left.

19. rtkwar

Credit:
    why you don't use html tables with php for create map?

20. shugo

Credit:
    because tables aren't flexible, also you don't need tables, why would you want tables?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.