1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate: Console v. PC games

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by quinn, Apr 18, 2011.

Which are better?

1. Console Games

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. PC Games

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
  3. Neither

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    It's not surprising that PC games are winning because this is an MMORPG forum and the PC is the undisputed king of MMORPGs, so everyone here already loves something that the computer does best. Whether you are interested in the fantasy world of World of Warcraft, the brutal bloody adventures of Age of Conan, the futuristic planets of Star Wars Galaxies, and a whole lot more, there is a type of MMORPG for everyone on the PC. The consoles only have RPGs like Elder Scrolls. While these are good games, they can get extremely lonely when you only have NPCs to explore with, whereas MMORPGs on the PC all have thousands of players, or in some cases millions of players. In addition, many MMORPGs on the PC are free. RuneScape has a free version, Runes of Magic is very similar to World of Warcraft, as well as other great free MMOs like Lord of the Rings Online, Perfect World, and Battlestar Galactica. And these are just some of the most well-known ones, there are literally HUNDREDS of other FREE MMORPGs for you to experience on the PC. And contrary to what you keep saying, many of these do not even require a high-end computer to play! I am able to run every MMO I have mentioned in this post on my crappy laptop which I purchased in middle school, so if you've got a decent family computer that's only 4-5 years old, chances are that you too can enjoy many of the free MMOs the PC has to offer.

I would say that all of the free MMORPG fans on this forum can enjoy the consoles.. except the consoles have neither MMORPGs.. nor any free games for that matter.

2. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I voted for console games.

3. sasuke2490

sasuke2490 Clubbed

Credit:
    I voted for pc its 3:1 pc's are winning

4. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Just out of curiosity, why? You probably found this forum because you like MMORPGs. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 has any, yet the PC contains dozens, both free and paid, of all different time periods and genres. Everything that you can do on a console is possible on the PC.. and more. So my question to you is.. why support a watered-down version of the greatest gaming machine out there, especially when all console games do is cause you to throw your money out the window.

5. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i voted for pc games cuz that is what i play the most!

6. sasuke2490

sasuke2490 Clubbed

Credit:
    Same also cause I prefer it over consoles.

7. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    1.) Just because games are developed on the PC does not mean they work at well/at all on the PC. Also, the rules and regulations, as I said, help limit games put out to ones that will be awesome and exciting games.

2.) Next time there is a debate I think the poll should be phrased as "Who put forth the better debate?"...which is what Ogreman was asking but I wasn't on for a couple days.

8. quinn

Credit:
    Sorry for double post but I just read this...

The PS3 definitely has MMORPGs...if you consider Splashfighters to be a MMO (with the room-based matches) then there are several games for the console that are MMORPGs...not many but still some xD

9. sasuke2490

sasuke2490 Clubbed

Credit:
    I still feel the ability to mod to a great extent gives the pc a big advantage.

10. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I couldn't agree more with this assessment; the capability to mod things brings a whole new audience into play with it comes to PC games. Although, when it comes to consoles it's more-or-less about entry level capability (i.e. nobody needs to worry about having the proper hardware to run a new game if it comes out for the same console.)

Mods generate an entire culture that give rise to thriving communities. :bulb:

11. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    1) This is true. I will give you that sports games like Madden and NHL seem to be a "console" type of thing. But I think the much bigger list of genres of games that DO play better on PC far outweighs that of the consoles. For example, FPS, MMORPGs (or just RPGs in general), strategy games (including MMORTS), sandbox games, etc. all play better on PC than consoles. Plus, as stated earlier, the PC houses an immense and ever growing variety of ALL kinds of FANTASTIC (not to mention free/cheap) indie games. And as already stated, the mods on PC games are so awesome and allow the player to have so much more control. For example, you can click on over to Steam and buy Half-Life for $9.99. You aren't just getting Half-Life. You're getting MILLIONS of thrilling mods made by the community, and you get a chance to see first hand just how creative gamers can be. Many of these mods you'll want to play dozens of times. It's almost like your getting thousands of free games packaged in.. all for the same price. Talk about bang for your buck. The consoles have NOTHING that even comes CLOSE to comparing to this kind of experience.

2) I really wasn't sure what he meant, sorry. :eek:

Okay sure, the PS3 (what about all the Xbox 360 and Wii console gamers, they're just SOL??) may have some MMORPGs. But it certainly doesn't even come close to the amount available (MANY FOR FREE) on the PC, and the variety of different kinds of MMOs (fantasy, realistic, futuristic, etc.) doesn't reach even close to the vast amount of different gaming aspects on the computer. So basically you just said to me "The PS3 has a very watered down amount of MMORPGs as opposed to the PC. In addition many of the customization options and choices available to PC gamers of all kinds are not available on the consoles". Umm.. wait, you're still supporting consoles are you not? :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  12. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Do we have a winner or is this debate continuing?

13. quinn

Credit:
    Yeah, we can end this debate officially. I am so far behind it's not even funny...

I am saying that the PS3 and Xbox totally have the capability of being great MMO devices. Really though, it's up to the developers what the console is used for.

In regards to the mods comment, I haven't hardly seen any games that are moddable. Looking around the only games I have that can be modded to any extent are Dwarf Fortress and Civilization V. Perhaps it's just the games I play, but I really think you are all overhyping the mod point a great deal.

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    You can continue if you want. If not, Lions will be the new debate champion:).

15. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It's an interesting topic, maybe when the match is over the thread could be turned into an open debate?

16. quinn

Credit:
    Does the poll end? Anyways it's obvious Lions wins, so we could open it up :)
    That's a good idea.

17. Dattebayo

Dattebayo MMORPGer

Credit:
    I say PC since I can make my computer much better than my 360/PS3

18. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Quake II, Warcraft III, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls III, Elder Scrolls IV, etc.

I like this idea. :)

Do I gets a medal? :eek:

19. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    I was wondering this for Lions too. He is clearly a well learned person in debating for games purposes :). Maybe GO could have some sort of competition or a "review board". However, this would require that ogre be the proctor in the situation since it would not be a medal specified for ONLY one person. It would have to be applicable to others as well for the taking like all of the other medals. :elf:

20. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, you get a medal and the title of Debate Champion if you want:).

The poll can stay open since it lists the topics instead of the debaters.

Hmm, we had a Debate Leaderboard. If we have more debates, we can use it again.