1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

GameOgre Community Project

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by ogreman, Apr 19, 2011.

1. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I meant something like the games shugo makes. Or should we make a single player flash or html5 game? I'm open to options

2. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Ditto... XD

I should have a decent amount of time over the next couple of weeks to get the codebase down, so hopefully this summer we can really get on it again. :)

3. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Summer!!! Yay :D
    Only 7 more weeks...

4. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Not knowing much about web programming, would it be feasible to do a multiplayer game, with maybe up to 16 players, using just HTML and javascript? I've heard of the AJAX concept that (I'm presuming) uses javascript to transfer data from the client to the server and back.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Starting simple sounds good:). That way, this first project would be a great learning experience for everybody involved.

6. quinn

Credit:
    For a basic PHP text game 16 players is quite easy. Anything that is text only really should be able to support MANY players, limited only by database size.
    With some javascript you can make the game update in real-time without a browser refresh, e.g. the player clicks on an arrow to move and the map refreshes. (That can also be done with PHP only I think. :p Krew)

I've seen a couple client-games that do this, but the client really is just a fancy web-browser with shortcuts built in. A good menu in the browser would fix all that anyways.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Would OgreWars.com or OgreNations.com work for this project?

8. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ON would be awesome for a different game like an RTS:D.

9. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ogrewars.com sounds good to me

10. quinn

Credit:
    Ogreman, just how long have you owned OgreWars.com? It's been like forever xD

Also, shugo check your inbox :)

11. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like it too, better than OgreNations.com. :)

12. shugo

Credit:
    I did and it's not possible, not even with that login. The problem is not knowing what the name of the column is, not the login page itself. In short it is an sql issue, not html.

13. shugo

Credit:
    I may not have a lot of time to work on the project the next few weeks. I'm working on a paper and I may have to build up a website from scratch, which may or may not contain a database with a list of 8000 songs. These 8000 songs all have to be filled in manually into the database, since the guy i'm doing it for, doesn't have a list in a simple textfile, that basically means I'll have to reformat it myself. Imagine rewriting 8000 rows by hand. So you may not see much of me the couple of weeks, at least that is if the guy wants to go ahead with putting the entire list online.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, let me know when you get time for it:).

15. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ogrewars.com > ogrenations.com

16. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I will volunteer to be a tester:D.

17. shugo

Credit:
    OK update

The guy doesn't want the list of 8000 songs (OK that's a good thing), because it takes too much time, hence it's too costly for him. However he keeps changing his mind on what else he does want.

He wants to put some songs online, but he remains in disagreement with himself on how he wants to do that. I keep writing the page, then rewriting it to something else, only to rewrite it back again to the original. That's the trouble I have, because this guy doesn't know html, he does not even understand what frames are and what an embedded MP3 file is. I may have to explain how frames work to him with 3 pieces of paper and even then I'm not sure, if he will understand it.

He wants the same embedded music to keep playing when someone opens a new page. I keep telling him it's not possible to continue the same embedded song when you force someone to open a new page. You either have to keep the page somehow, or keep the embedded song on another window.

In other words the guy wants the impossible, so now I have no idea how long it will take me to finish that website. It could be tomorrow, it could be months from now, or it could be when hell freezes over.

You're also looking at a proud person whose assignment paper may get published in a social impact magazine, sometime between 2 months from now or 6 months from now (it depends on the reviewers). Possibly somewhere in june I may be very busy making changes to the paper, hence it is likely I will not have a lot of time to work on any side projects in june.

18. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I'm no expert, but perhaps parsing of the MP3 file names would have worked? Or maybe some way of running it through MusicBrainz's database. Not that it matters now.

Also, perhaps there is another MP3 plugin/framework that will let you choose when to start the song at?

Also, it seems that some people want a strategy game here, and RTS actually sounds quite new and fresh to me.

Also, I've done half of my exams, and next month, I'll finish the rest (they happened to pile all my worst subjects at the start though, so the worst is over).

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  19. shugo

Credit:
    he's accepted the html frames... oh goody

it looks like that website is going to get finished soon

I have to upload some more MP3 files and that's it

20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    I read something saying that frames are bad practice though... Not that it matters :D