1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Terraria

Discussion in 'Terraria' started by quinn, May 21, 2011.

1. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    [​IMG]

So Terraria came out quite recently on Steam. I haven't played it yet (see my other thread if you want to gift it to me for all my forum points!), but I've watched quite a few videos and read the entire playermade wiki, so I know a lot about it :)

The game is like a cross between Minecraft and Metroid. The entire game is a 2D sidescroller, but it has both multiplayer and building elements. Minecraft players will see a few features that are reminiscent of Minecraft (sand is effected by gravity, ect.) but it is a very seperate game.

It features a great deal of exploration. Although the worlds are pre-genned (unlike Minecraft), even the smallest world is approx. 3 miles wide (by their own measurement system).

There are many different enemies. In the beginning, you will mainly face zombies and flying evil eye things at nighttime, and Slimes during the daytime. Every night, there is a 1 in 7 chance of the night being a blood moon, meaning there are a TON more zombies and zombies know how to break down doors. As you explore, you will find a great deal of dungeons and biomes..like the Underground Forest. There is also a biome known as Corruption, which spreads across the map unless stopped by Sunflowers. The corruption contains a great deal of strong enemies even during the daytime, but the drops there are awesome.

If you are playing multiplayer, there is an option to turn PvP on or off, and to join a team. Players on the same team as you will have their names, health, and location shown on your screen. Even if you have PvP off, there are a couple things players can do to cause you trouble. For one, bombs hurt other players even if their PvP is turned off. Secondly, there are a few nice items used to summon boss monsters that may be used near you to make you want to cry. Those items are a bit hard to make though, and I believe the boss will mainly target the person who summoned it.

Anyways, mainly there are a ton of awesome features, and it's great both as a sandbox game and a RPG. Also, there IS magic in the game, but you have to collect falling stars and make items that use the magic, which can take a while.

2. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Do you think you could provide the computer specifications for this game? My sister cannot run it. Every time she does it says that the program has crashed and she keeps bugging me to "fix it".

If you can, thanks quinn.

If not. My sister just can run a program. =p

3. quinn

Credit:
  4. Tyflyias

Tyflyias BamBam

Credit:
    Yeah, Quinn. What a great game Terraria is. Been playing it since it came out. My friend and I have an amazing house going through multiplayer.

We made hot tubs and pools and transferred water in buckets - one drop at a time. Hahah!

5. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Heard of this but never played it. It looks pretty good, how much does it cost?

6. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Why does it have to cost to play?

7. Tyflyias

Tyflyias BamBam

Credit:
    Well only $10 to buy and no more costs after that. It's worth it to fund companies that produce indie gems like Terraria!

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Read some more good reviews on it, now just gotta find some cash..

9. Drama

Credit:
    I think my sister was trying to get a leaked version so w/e.

Mom bought it for her.

She got tired of minecraft since terraria looked like it had more natural events + items.

I may buy terraria later with a prepaid card =p dunno yet

nice URL btw XD

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Alright I'm sold, buying this game right now.

11. Drama

Credit:
    I want it after I finish my game design crap...

12. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Alright.. not gonna lie this is a pretty damn cool game. Might even like it better than Minecraft. I like that the focus is shifted more towards adventuring than building, yet you can still build stuff if you like.

13. quinn

Credit:
    It is very action/adventuring based.
    And there are lots of awesome things to do. You can buy some dynamite (requires a guy who moves in once you find a bomb somewhere underground), and then find some deep chasms and blow up the special orb at the bottom to get nice stuff like a musket.

You can find a fallen meteor (I can tell you the requirements to get one to fall if you want..I've heard of people having it fall on their houses though and killing all their NPCs though!) and then mine it for the materials to make cool stuff. (Like a cannon that shoots freaking STARS!)

I'm working on beating the bosses now. The Eye was quite easy, but at the last second I didn't notice my health was low and died. And my spawn point was too far away and the Eye ran away. More lenses time!

Also, if you haven't yet, look up. Just a hint. A hint that may lead to a sword that, with full mana, will allow you to kill almost anything anywhere on the screen from an underground hideout. Just sayin'.

14. quinn

Credit:
    Sorry for the double-post, but Satsu and I are having a little argument.
    The argument is as follows:
    Shooting Stars or Mana as ammo. Also add flaming arrows into the mix. Please respond.
    - <3 Quinn

15. Drama

Credit:
    I shall get this game tomorrow (possibly) if my dad's girlfriend is cool and lets me use her credit card.

I wonder if a GameOgre section will sprout from this eventually =p.

16. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So, is this better than Minecraft?

17. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I like 2d side scrolling games better than 3d (usually) so yes. I feel there is more too do.

18. quinn

Credit:
    "Better"? Again, it's a very different game. Yes, it has blocks. Yes, you can modify said blocks. And you can craft stuff and fight monsters. But the gameplay is VERY different, and is much more action oriented. Personally, I like it better. But it's quite dependent on what types of games you like :)

19. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    We should really all play multiplayer together.. ichigo you gotta get this game!!

And @Noche this is, in my opinion, better than Minecraft. As quinn said though, they are very different games. Minecraft is more about creating and building and your own creativity. Terraria however is more about creativity and adventuring. Plus it kind of makes you feel less lonely if playing by yourself because although there aren't any direct objectives, there is still a longing to go out and dig down or build up to find new items or coins. In a way I guess you could say its Minecraft with more action RPG elements to it.

20. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    I may even get this game so the Ogres can play together:).