1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Terraria Review

Discussion in 'Terraria' started by Krew, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Krew

Krew Top 10 Reborn Again Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Terraria Review
    By Zach (Krew)
    http://www.gameogre.com/mmoblog/terraria-review

Terraria is a game that has taken bits and pieces of ideas from other games and combined them all into one big game. It takes the idea of mining for resources, fighting an undead apocalypse, slaying the mightiest of bosses, exploring floating islands and more. The game offers it all to you in a world that is as big or small as you want it.

Gameplay and Features:

• Mining
      • Pros/Cons of Mining:
        • Pros:
          • While mining there is always the constant threat of enemy monsters attacking you in your caves. This keeps you on your feet so you don’t just feel like you are stuck in a rut.
          • A large variety of mineable items. This allows you to create a large amount of different items, and allows the creators/devs to add even more items to craft.
        • Cons:
          • Since all of the maps people create are randomly generated you never know how much of a certain resource is available. So it can be increasingly frustrating to find the resource you need.
      • The main feature that will help you in Terraria is mining. Mining allows you to gather resources that will help you create better items for your house, better equipment for your character to wield, and you can even find items while mining that will aid your character during any game.
      • While you are mining you will keep your eyes out for a variety of ores/precious stones that are in the game. A few that are in the game are bronze, iron, steel, and gold. There are many other items you can mine up, but that is for you to find.
    • Monsters
      • Pros/Cons of the Monsters:
        • Pros:
          • There are always people/things for you to fight.
          • The monsters will always keep you on your toes.
          • Since the monsters only appear under certain conditions you know what you are facing.
        • Cons:
          • Some of the monsters, slimes, get annoying fast when it seems like you kill one and two more come.
      • Monster in the land of Terraria come in a wide selection. There are Zombies, there are skeletons, there are the, oh so annoying, slimes, and many more to choose from. The time of day will affect which monsters you see and also if you are above or underground. For example, Zombies only come out at night, and the giant worms are only found underground. So be prepared and know which monsters you are about to face!
    • Bosses
      • Pros/Cons of the Bosses:
        • Pros:
          • The Bosses are a MUCH tougher opponent then the regular spawned monsters.
          • Their drops can be really handy.
        • Cons:
          • There are only three bosses right now, but, I am sure as time goes on and more updates are released we will see more and more bosses.
          • If you are a lower level player and accidently set off, for example, Skeletron, you are F’d to say the least.
      • There are three bosses you will face in Terraria that will test you strategy and level of gear whenever you face them. The three bosses are Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, and the Eye of Cthulhu. Each of the bosses’ unique fighting style will have you chugging down potions!
    • Map Size
      • Pros/Cons of the Map Sizes:
        • Pros:
          • The most obvious pro is that you can pick a map size that fits your game style. If you want to be able to dig down the hell fast, or run to the ocean fast, then a small map is for you. If you want there to be a plethora of resources, then a large map is the right choice for you.
        • Cons:
          • There are only three map sizes. Hopefully in the near future there will be a feature that will allow a person to set the “dimensions” of his world.
      • In Terraria there are three map sizes players are able to pick from; Small, Medium, or Large. The way the map sizes are determined is how far, from the middle, it is to the end of the map if one player goes east and one goes west. The map size also effects how deep the world is.
    • Inventory/Items
      • Pros/Cons of the Inventory
        • Pros:
          • It is fun to be able to craft your items instead of just “grinding” to find it. Granted you need to will need to grind to find the drops from monsters.
          • Having 4 Slots just for money is very handy, this way money doesn’t clutter your item inventory.
        • Cons:
          • 40 slots are plenty, but you tend to fill it quickly. So the con is that it can be very frustrating when you run low on slots and can be very difficult to find anything to get rid of.
      • In this game you have an inventory of 40 slots, plus four slots for money only, which will hold anything you want. Some items will stack up to a certain limit, like wooden walls that can only be stacked to 250. Almost all the items in the game are made by crafting them from the drops of other monster and the resources you mine up. You can also craft “Chests” that will allow you to store items in them, but be aware that chests are a public storage and anyone you are playing with can take from them.

Terraria is a game that some might say, “Mimics Minecraft”. This is a false statement. This game may share some gameplay features, but you have to remember Minecraft is not the only game that lets you dig, fight monsters, or make stuff. There are plenty of games like that. When playing Terraria you must look at it with new eyes and not expect a Minecraft copycat. This game has a ton of pros to look at and not many cons. If you are a gamer who like the concept of looking for what you need, while having the fear, or thought, of dying, then this game is a must have. Everyone needs to try the game, before they nock it off as a copycat.

Official Terraria Websites:

To Buy Terraria:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Rageaholic

Rageaholic Epic Llama Farmer The Pit

Credit:
    What...a...review. OSSUM.
    EDIT: lolololol guides were on my mind at the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  3. Krew

Credit:
    More of a review than a guide.

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Great review Krew

5. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
  6. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Awesome review! :D Only thing I really didn't get was the map size. I think they're fine the way it is, the thing I would have as a con is that the maps are not randomly generated, there are just a bunch of pre-determined ones (I think quinn told me that.)

7. Krew

Credit:
    I was just suggesting a different feature instead of just small medium and large. Thats all. Thanks Lions :)

8. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I said no such thing. And I am pretty sure they are randomly generated.
    Like 90% sure.

9. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Misread your post then, my bad.

10. quinn

Credit:
    So I finally actually read the entire review through. I have somethings to say:

First: What's with everyone hating on the slimes? They don't spawn INSANELY fast, at most I've seen like three at a time, but usually just one or two. And those can be killed VERY quickly by the point at which they may be considered an annoyance (well, I suppose that depends how fast you play. I got my Demonite axe pretty quickly, and that you can just hold down the button and kill anything in your way.)

Second, about bosses, the bosses are too easy. (Haven't tried Skeletron yet, but both the EoW and iC both killed me only once before I could regularly destroy them easily. iC just takes some projectiles (Shurikens being the easiest, but a bow and a wood platform works fine too. EoW might have just been luck, as I got Vilethorn in the orb before I beat him, which proved excellent. But if you get Vilethorn or Ball o' Hurt from a Shadow Orb before you have to fight EoW you shouldn't have any issues.)

Third: You always know how much of a resource is available: INSANELY HUGE AMOUNTS! Even Small Worlds are pretty big as far as stuff goes, and if you are having trouble finding stuff you can just move over a little.

11. Krew

Credit:
    #1 Just because they are easy doesn't mean they aren't annoying
    #2 Reviews are mostly directed towards new players, new players might have a harder time beating them than you.
    #3 I said it is "...it can be increasingly frustrating to find the resource you need." Just because there is a lot of it doesn't mean it is easy to find.

12. quinn

Credit:
    But...it's hardly annoying when you can run and simply ignore them or hold down a button and kill all of them. Even with just an iron or so weapon you can beat them in a couple hits! That's hardly any trouble at all!

And I said that other people might have less gear than me, it is probably just the way I play that makes them easy for me (I do a lot of setup for the bosses and getting stuff ready.) And I change my mind, Skeletron is HARD! (Like x3 than the other bosses.)

True, but how much have you been messing around in the Middle/Stone layer? Dirt layer doesn't have much, but I've been able to find pretty much all of the resources scattered around down in the stone layer. Try in the caverns, digging randomly around is a pain and slow (same with Minecraft).

13. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Nice review Krew.

shocked u didnt mention anything about the NPCs though =p.
    no mention about the biomes/environments I guess either.

IMO about the NPCs...

pro-they sell stuff you might want and offer valuable information (guide anyway)

con-NPCs can get in the way :p

like...bunnies lately. cute yes. HOWEVER! ....uhm yea >.> they kinda get in the way :/

eh I like the review overall tho =p. good job krew.

14. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Haha I love the addition of bunnies. :p

15. Krew

Credit:
    Eh Thanks ;)

16. Vocal

Vocal サーベル 青 The Pit

Credit:
    nice review brah.

17. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    everytime i see a bunny and i'm on multiplayer...i must shout BUNNY/BUNNIES!

18. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Awesome review Krew!

19. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    It makes me wanna play the game... :(