1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate: 2011 is the best year or not the best year for gaming

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by funnygamer, Jan 2, 2012.

Who is making the better arguement?

1. FunnyGamer

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Joker

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    I guess I'll start this thread. I thought it's Mr. Ogreman who does that. XD Perhaps a poll can be initiated later.

Anyway, 2011 is definitely the best year for gaming. First is obviously the number of good games that was released last year. 2011 welcomed the entry of games like Rusty Hearts and Dragon Nest, which got a huge following, not only in GameOgre, but in many other gaming communities as well. There is also the highly-anticipated Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). The release of Skyrim also shook the gaming community with its tantalizing graphics and immersive gameplay. Indeed, there is the usual influx of ordinary and commonplace MMOs, but there are also diamonds which stood out from the rest. 2011 certainly gave us some diamond-quality MMOs.

Another reason why 2011 is the best year is that it can be considered a pivotal point in MMOs. Many players are tired of the usual point-and-click gameplay that is being offered by hundreds of other MMORPGs. Even the legendary World Of Warcraft (WOW), is showing signs of aging as it continually loses its player base. 2011 debuted some ActionRPGs that are currently enjoying widespread success. An example of which is Dragon Nest. Games like this gave us an entirely new experience of the MMORPG genre. Given the success of these games, it is only a matter of time when more and more developers give us these kinds of good-quality games. The year 2011, can definitely be considered as a starting point of a new and better trend for the genre.

Lastly, the previous year showered us with anticipation. Being able to play a nice game is definitely a good thing, but knowing that there will be good games waiting to be played in the near future is also a good thing. 2011 as the pivotal period of the genre, is proven to be true as we near the coming of other highly-anticipated and innovative games like Blade and Soul, Diablo 3, C9, and Guild Wars 2.

2. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    2011 was a good year for gaming. However, last year can not be considered the best due to several killer games not being released yet. Take a look at the games that missed 2011!

Diablo 3
    Guild Wars 2
    TERA
    BioShock Infinite
    Mass Effect 3
    Wakfu
    Secret World
    Fallout Online
    Max Payne 3

I could go on and on. If Guild Wars and Diablo 3 had been released in 2011 then I would have had to agree until 2012 was over.

Another bad sign to me is WoW losing subscribers. How can the "king of mmos" falling be a good thing? If WoW falls that would probably mean the death of p2p mmos.

3. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    Some of the games that you mentioned weren't really supposed to be released on 2011. If most of these games said that they're going to launch on 2011 but did not, then I guess 2011 is indeed not the best year.

But that's not the case. Many of these "killer" games are scheduled to be released on 2012, or even later. If these games are indeed released on 2012, then maybe this year will be the best. But as of now, 2011 is the best thus far.

I'm also not saying that the "fall" of WOW is a good thing. In fact, I don't think WOW is going to fall any time soon. I believe it's just the usual sign of aging. A game can't permanently keep insane number of players for so many years. But so long as it's still alive with still a lot of players, we can't consider it as a failure.

Also, I emphasized that the decline of WOW may be due to the fact that we are entering a new stage in the genre. Action MMOs are beginning to gain popularity, so 2011 is a good pivot point of this innovation.

I would also like to add another argument that 2011 started the F2P trend. Many newly released games are using the F2P model and some previously P2P MMOs like Age of Conan and LOTRO turned to F2P. I know that some people prefer P2P and this move is not really good news for them, but to some people, it is a good move since quality games like these are becoming more available to more players.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Ok, poll added:).

5. Joker

Credit:
    Didn't both Diablo3 and Guild Wars have 2012 dates that were pushed back or was that wishful thinking. Still, the fact remains that these games were not released this year.

WoW is down to 10.3 million subscribers from its peak. You know it will go below 10 mil soon. Imo WoW falling is not good for MMORPGs in general because it could just mean less people are playing MMORPGs.

F2P did not start in 2011:p. It is just getting more popular.

6. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    I'm not sure either if they were supposed to be released last year. But again, saying that 2011 is not the best year because many new killer games haven't been released yet is very much flawed. This is primarily because we will always expect better games every year. When 2012 comes to an end, I'm sure there will be other highly anticipated games on 2013. That's what we call progress. The important thing here is that 2011 is the best year THUS FAR. Comparing 2011 to a future year is like comparing technology of the caveman to our current technology.

Also, WOW, slowly losing subscribers doesn't mean that there are less players playing MMORPGs. There is a very high chance that some players are just shifting to another game. If you're playing a game for several years, aren't you going to get bored of it sooner or later? And this shift is what I already mentioned. We are currently undergoing a major shift into ActionMMOs, which was started by Vindictus, Dragon Nest, and Rusty Hearts.

And thanks for the correction. 2011 did not start F2P. What I meant was it became more popular. As I mentioned, more and more games are using the F2P model, and some previously P2P MMOs went F2P. Like I said earlier, this shift is also a good thing.

7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    It is now Joker's turn to respond:).

8. Joker

Credit:
    There will always be new games that won't make towards the end. However, I seriously doubt any games in the next few years will have the same impact as Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3. The predecessor of each game is still popular! If a game can stay popular for over five or ten years in the case of Diablo 2, it is a masterpiece. That is why I said that these games would have made 2011 the best ever.

It is likely a combination of other games and leaving gaming for WoW. People have been known to get tired of MMORPGs altogether. I agree that games like Rusty Hearts and Vindictus are likely the games that former full MMORPG payers are going to.

IMO, strictly pay-to-play gaming will end completely. In a year or two there will be no games without a free-to-play mode. 2012 will bring that a step closer.

9. Chanceux

Chanceux Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    Sorry but I have some objections :

2011 was a good year for gaming. True. But my point : Nowadays games are improving because of better graphisms, well in general technical improvements, but what is awfull is that noone bring a penny of originality compared to 80's and 90's games! Time to wake up and try to bring some really new concepts! That's a shame that the best games are still from the last century.

Examples : Adventure area : no game from this century match games like Monkey Island, other Lucas Art's games, Day of the Tentacle...
    Arcade : I can't find originality like the one I find in games like Wizkid, Sleepwalker (this one : Amiga Longplay [217] Sleepwalker - YouTube )
    RPG : nothing to say there is just to many... the Ultima collection... Moonstar and Cie.... there are even some I forgot the name (what the name of this one where you play a wizard that can shapeshift?) With some old computer you didn't have 3d graphisms but you had some deepest stories, enigmae, more original gameplay.

Only my opinion :) but I like those 2011 games indeed

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, it is now time for FunnyGamer to respond:).

11. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:

Whether you think that there will be no game in 2013 or in the next few years that can surpass Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 is unimportant. This argument is solely based on your opinion and assumptions of the future. We can always expect and assume that a year will be good. But unless it has already transpired and actually gave us a good year for gaming, we can't claim it as true yet.

I agree that there are people who got tired of the genre and left. But there are also new people who try and immerse with the genre. It would be quite hard to claim that we have more, or less MMORPG players, unless we have actual information or numbers to support it.

Again, this argument is based on an assumption and anticipation of something which may or may not happen. Unless it actually happens, we can't claim it to be true yet. If all these expectations come to fruition this year, then 2012 may be the best year. But as of now, 2011 is the best year yet.

12. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I voted for FunnyGamer :D.

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Your turn again, Joker:).

14. Joker

Credit:
    To stop us from going over the same thing repeatedly, let's try this a different way. You would put 2011 against any year in the past. That covers a lort of ground including the introduction of new consoles, the greatest games of all time, the birth of MMOs period and I could on and on. I mention Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 because they could be two of the best online games ever.

However, saying 2011 is the best year in games ever is like saying 2011 was the best year in movies ever. The problem with that is that 1939- you can look it up- was the best year in movie history. I don't know the year for gaming yet but I am sure it is not 2011.

15. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    How can 2011 be the best year for gaming if the current major version of Nethack was released in 1989? ;)

16. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    If 2011 is not the best year, then I would love to know what the real best year for gaming is, and why. :)

17. Joker

Credit:
    After digging more I think I win:p. 1993 and 1998 were both monster years with many alltime classics. 1993 had Doom, Virtua Fighter, Master of Orion, and Syndicate. 1998 tops it with Half-Life, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, and cough cough Starcraft! Need I say more?

I will officially say that 1998 is the best year ever:D.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  18. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    1 thing about 2011 which i can say...

Skyrim :3

19. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    joker should win.. 2011 is not the best year...

20. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    Each year has its own set of killer games. Naming several good games that mark the success of a specific year is not enough to make it the best year.

The reason is that, although you gave a list of good games in 1993 and 1998, I could also do the same for 2011. DCUO, Rift, Just Dance 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Dragon Nest, and SWTOR, to name a few.

The point is, besides the good games released for the said year, there also has to be something else that will differentiate the year and make it the best. And for me, the differentiating factors of 2011 are the trend towards F2P, and a new revolution towards Action MMO.