1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Realm of the Mad God Video

Discussion in 'Indie Games' started by ogreman, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    eh even then it's only a little more effort (stacks up sure) but I can't afford to spend $20 on a game or more.

It truly is outrageous that some people buy amulets of resurrection (it defeats the point of 'permadeath' some people say but w/e) for $75-100! YES THEY ACTUALLY BUY THEM! And what I find odd is that the game developers allow them to do this. They even set up a voucher thread for paypal/paying users. It is crazy in a way.

They do nothing about autoers/spammers/'gold sites' (in this case it is potions because there are no gold pieces that you can actually trade)

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Yes, permadeath is very rare. The few games that have had it usually have not lasted.

3. Drama

Credit:
    And with my final words to this game I quit.

Can't stand it anymore....

I PURPOSELY died the last time I died so...I just can't stand it :)

Was a good 100 hour time killer i guess. But it isn't worth it to me if the game just stresses me out from all the deaths, scammers, lag and more.

cya RoTMG

4. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    You spent 100 hours playing? I would say you did your tour of duty:wings:

5. Drama

Credit:
    'playing'

the game has so much trading involved with it to get to higher gear sets that you spend over half of your time trading.

so in reality I only played for about 40-50 hours.

edit:

as someone dubbed this game 'Realm of the Mad Merchant'

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I still need to play this game, but it sounds like everybody who played it has already gotten tired of it:).

7. Drama

Credit:
    yes frustrated and tired of it altogether :)

8. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I will play RoMM:p !

9. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    That is too much trading:(.

10. Nelson Williams

Nelson Williams Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Trading is what you make of it. I make a habit of visiting war zones with an inventory full of healing potions. It's surprising how many people will give up some trinket or another for a potion and a chance for their permadeath character to see tomorrow.

Also, the gear grind is sort of unnecessary. This isn't a solo game. Grab ten people and it doesn't matter what gear you have. Murder train have no brakes.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ah, that does hurt the purpose of trading if gear can be ignored with large group numbers.

12. Drama

Credit:
    but the weaker ones die in a group that aren't as protected/have as much defense.

most enemy shots pierce in rotmm.

13. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    Sure. So hang out at the edges of the battle and don't get hit. Easy!

It's like none of you people ever beat Smash TV on one credit or anything.

14. Drama

Credit:
    I don't understand your second line but if the monster is not on your screen and you have not done a certain amount of damage to the monster you will not get a private bag loot. (purple or higher tier bag)

So you have to be in a situation where you die with practically nothing, or equip yourself and start to risk items.

15. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    Smash TV was an arcade game remarkably similar to Realm of the Mad God, except with walls locking you in and you died in one hit. The solution was to never get hit. Beating the game on one credit meant never getting hit a lot. A certain degree of paranoia comes attached with that skill.

Diving in between the boss's attacks should be more or less second nature. Hammering that Nexus button when you take damage should be third. After that, group with Necros and take some risks. That's where the excitement comes from.

16. Drama

Credit:
    hm sounds like many quarter arcade games in a way.

Actually the nexus button is designed so that you have to wait a fraction of a second before teleporting. So the oryx bullet could be a couple pixels from hitting you but the nexus teleport wouldn't activate for another second. Some people end up in the nexus dead like that or with very little hp.

17. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    I haven't seen much delay on the Nexus button, myself, but that could be so. I tend to bug out when it looks like an emergency is about to come knocking, before my hit points take a sudden vacation.

Still, that's the joy of a permadeath game. Taking those risks with something actually on the line. Tension, you know? These days, most games you're guaranteed to win if you just keep slamming that Load or Continue button. That's fine, but where's the challenge? Where's the chance of not making it? The impetus to get better?

Eh, just a thing. I also play Diablo 2 hardcore. Maybe I'm just one of those weird people.

18. Drama

Credit:
    err no sorry.

I'd rather keep my items or keep my stats. Or if I die, I restart from the last checkpoint/savepoint. Worst time I get mad with the savepoint is when you have to save it yourself. Such as bethesda games like Fallout 3(only autosaves when entering/exiting a building or waiting [waiting is a function in the game if you aren't aware of that]). They make it so you have to click f# button to quick save every so often or else.....(well) you go back to the last save point if you die.

I mean I've heard of permadeath but this is basically wiping everything except fame (and coins but 'f2pers' don't use that). Even then fame only has the value of an amulet of resurrection (other items are value to yourself).

Like (well I'm not a huge fan of it) but minecraft. You still have a chance to get your items back so long as you aren't in the nether, super far away, or fall in lava. One way or another you can get your items back if you are in a close proximity.

Now, Rotmg used to be like this where you could loot items. If I haven't already stated this. It made the economy within the game more balanced personally. Because when someone dies...the items are gone forever basically.
    I presume we all played this game before this function was removed though. Because it was removed several months ago (around....november if I remember correctly)

It's the equivalent in RuneScape where...if you were to die from a boss, your gravestone expires and nobody loots your grave I guess. Though exp in RS doesn't go in reverse and gravestones last about 15 minutes without someone blessing it (up to 1 hr with bless) because you can die in far away places :)

I was never really a big fan of Diablo. But from what I've seen it is pretty much the same thing as Drakensang Online like some ogres, including myself, are playing right now.

The only logical reason to me to play a Hardcore death mode where you lose everything after you die is in that mode you gain more exp/hour or you can only get the super end-game items in that mode. Other reasons would be a completionist reason or a self-challenge. (Another example but...Halo on Legendary. Personally I only beat Halo 2 on Legendary. That was the last Halo game I have beat from start to finish though. Still love the series regardless.)

That was a mouthful :)

19. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    Oh, there's nothing wrong with preferring progress in your games over challenge. You worked hard for those levels and gear. Of course you want to keep them.

On the other side, though, some of us, well, we've played an awful lot of games. We can power through just about anything. There's no challenge to that, no thrill of victory. In a Save/Reload game, success is guaranteed. You're going to win, sooner or later.

To us hardcore types, that's not really a win. We didn't beat the game, the Save/Reload button did. Permadeath games allow us to test our actual skill, to face off against the game with real consequences on the line. If we lose and die, that just means we need more practice to get better. If we win, then we really do win. The victory is ours, come from our skill.

In a permadeath game, what you do just means so much more. The challenges are so much bigger. The rewards are so much sweeter. And, yes, the losses are so much greater.

Then again, I grew up on arcade games and NES 3-lives-restart games. Maybe I'm just poisoned.

20. Drama

Credit:
    Ah see even then you have lives. And you could usually gain more lives.

Wonder how that branches off into you liking permadeath though hm...odd

I could understand permadeath if the game didn't take up so much memory + having such laggy servers because you could then avoid the attacks almost all the time. But sometimes I feel they should take out that nexus button. It makes the game to where you have a panic button and you don't really risk anything if you just keep your finger on that key the whole time. Unless a shot can truly 1hit you, you will usually escape. But I tried to play without nexusing every...2 minutes or so.