1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

So I'm studying Eve Online for my dissertation

Discussion in 'Eve Online' started by maximiliancb, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximiliancb

maximiliancb Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Hi all,

I'm writing my undergraduate dissertation on the use of Virtual worlds as a source of information for research and predictions in the real world. Eve is one of the three games I'm studying for this dissertation, and so, if you would be so kind, I would appreciate some information on the subject.
    I'm studying three aspects of these games; Auctions, inter-faction conflict and copyright/authorship.

The auctions is more a study of how the in game economy works, is there a cetralised auction house used by all players of a faction, can a player host an auction themself or are both true? is it possible for money to be 'burnt'? by this I mean, to leave the virtual world market. In World of Warcraft, this is done by things such as NPC vendors, or the AH cut of the profits, where the money you pay to them is never re-introduced into the system, its just gone.

Inter-faction conflict means any conflict between corporations or empires, I imagine the definition of a state in the game is somewhat inappropriate, so along what lines are these factions identified? Is conflict prompted by the members of the faction, and if so what range of motives would prompt them (aggression, hatred of a particular foe, or perhaps more economic concerns, we need X asteroid belt or Y room for population expansion) or is it performed according to the whims of a ruler or ruling class?

Copyright and authorship regards the capacity a person has to create unique items, and whether they hold any rights with regard to their creations? by this I dont mean comparable rights to say US copyright law, but some form of recognition for their creation of something, and perhaps benefits for its success. Also is the creator allowed to trade a good in the real world through sites like ebay, or do the games creators hold rights over everything in-game, that they may deny their trade for real-life wealth?

I know this is a bunch of questions, but I mean them as more of a guideline, any information you have that regards these general areas would be very useful.

Thanks

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Can you ask just one to start a discussion? I am sure somebody would be glad to answer you, but that was quite a bit for your only post here so far:).

3. Nelson Williams

Nelson Williams Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I know EVE like few others, and I'll try to answer your questions in the most simple way possible.

First, if you're going to study the game, get playing. From the tone of your questions, it looks like you're outside the game. That's no good. EVE is like the Matrix, you have to see it for yourself.

Second, the answer to every one of your questions is, yes. The long answer is yes, and everyone else will try to steal it from you, scam it from you, ransom it from you, or blow it up so no one can have it.

Good people don't play EVE for long.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  4. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Is Eve full of jokers like me? :p

5. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    Lemme put it this way. Recently, during a bout of guild vs guild warfare, one guild camped the other in a station for three months straight.

That is, no one in the camped guild could leave the station for three months.

No one in that station could play the game for three months.

That's PVP in EVE Online.

6. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    :confused: The guild paid for three months just to camp?

7. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    Oh, no. The camping guild could trade off. A few hundred of them would hang out at the station, killing anything that poked its head out. The other 2500 guild members would be off elsewhere, having adventures. That way, no one in the camping guild got too bored with the whole thing.

The guys trapped in the station, however, yeah. They paid for three months of looking out the window and seeing gun barrels staring back. Or rather, maybe half of them did. The guild lost an awful lot of members, being they couldn't play the game or anything.

That's PVP in EVE Online. The only way to win is to literally make the other guy quit the game forever.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Are you still playing Eve, Nelson? There is plenty of subject matter there that would make for at least one good video:).

9. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Btw. This guy eventually ended up getting his answer on gamfaqs.

10. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    EVE isn't exactly a passion of mine anymore (but there's been more than one player-fueled event or protest that caught my eye.) As an anthropologist, EVE constantly draws my attention back.

Of course, Nelson also loves to ping me and say ,"There's no drama like EVE drama, here's a link to what's going on now!"

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    People like that ask for research help on many sites and have been doing that for years, so it is not new.

However, we are still carrying on the conversation over time and Nelson made some good points:).

12. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Oh yes, I'm guilty of that.

When I'm working on a MMO-related thesis I often leave a multitude of posts across lots of forums seeking query. The net often drags in a lot of flotsam but it sometimes also brings out interesting catch as well. :)

13. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    No, I bailed out of EVE a while ago. It's a purely PVP game which likes to pretend it's something else, and I don't really do the PVP thing.

You're right that EVE would be great for videos. Actually, you don't even need to play EVE to do a good video for the game. Just grab the latest EVE drama, grab some pictures of ships exploding, some maps of who controls what at the moment, and maybe screenshot a forum post or two, and you could put together a video that will make a couple thousand people explode in fits.

14. Nelson Williams

Credit:
    If you're really lucky, sometimes a developer will fall out of the net, too. They patrol the forums like anyone else. It makes for good times when that happens.

15. aiornieu

aiornieu Ogre Newling

Credit:
    Eur..

I wanna help.
    But I'm new here ..
    Perhaps we can communicate together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.