1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Debate: pay to play games vs free play games

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by CHAC, Mar 4, 2013.

which is better?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2013.
  1. pay to play

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. free play games

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Ok, so there have been word of which type of game play is better. Pay to play or free play games. Which is better?

If you want to debate this topic, pick your side and make your argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  2. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Free play games will always have the advantage if everything else is the same.

3. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yeah i agree, theres alot about free play games that are better then pay to play games. Free games you can buy add ons to many it better but dont realy have to. Pay to play games add up after a while.

4. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It depends, is the game buy to play or with monthly subscription? If you get all the features with only 1 payment that is ofc way better then free to play. If you have to pay every month then free to play gives you more fun and joy :)

5. ufbre

ufbre World of Tanks Fan Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    free play games that are better then pay to play games.

6. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yeah paying monthly gets boring fast. free games are more joyable as you said.

7. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'm leaning towards P2P these days. F2P has become largely way to restrictive in my opinion... I mean sure they need to make money but some of these games are taking it way too far and unfortunately in more than a few cases it's working for them :/

My only real grip with P2P is the price, $15+ a month is just too much. I think if they could get the price down to $5-$10 it'd be a much better deal but it's not too bad especially when the F2P side of the game is locked down and you really like the game.

F2P is ideal in my opinion when it's not abused but I think that's the way we are headed... it's only going to get worse before it gets better. :/ Once they start pilling on the restrictions paying the monthly fee is just hassle free and easy but MMOs really need to start upping on quality before P2P can make any kind of comeback.

8. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yeah true, but then again that adds up after a while. Pay to pY games, most of the time are not worth paying for. Then after you buy it theres other thing you have to pay for.its just a quick way to make moneu an they dont care less if its fun or not. Free games tand to be more enjoyable because they give you options an things like that. They are the games people pay for years or whatever.

9. Narubian

Narubian Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Played lot of mmorpgs only F2P ones to be honest, and 95% of them end up at certain point that they become P2W (pay2win).
    Just giving an example:
    Most games have dungeons/raids type of thing where you can loot some nice gear to wear/sell or mats to make things however for those so called raids you need to be either a friend with some strong guys who will take you with them from time to time or to use real cash to make yourself stronger such as enching weapon from +0 to +10 (just a wild example) or to get some other part of your gear to certain lvl without breaking it in the process of enching. Some games are made that monsters are so strong that you need to charm (each game has its own way of calling it but it is a type of BOOST on hp/dmg/def or something else) if you want to keep up with the group or to be even aloud to loot after all the mobs are dead. And that is all without PvP... PvP is something i enjoy the most however without things that are bought for real cash it is impossible to stay at the top of the chain or at least top 10 guys that hold certain place (be it PvP zone,lvl zone,dungeon zone...)

That is where P2P is better, because it is clear that you will spend cash and you will do good while in F2P you are good without cash only till certain lvl HOWEVER i choose to play F2P over P2P for one reason only:
    When you pay to play that month you are forced to play it... if you skip lot of time not playing it due to busy schedule or you get bored or something else, time you paid for gets wasted (most are based on paying monthly cause paying by hours is to expensive i think). Also i dont got that much cash to pay monthly to play certain game xD

10. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    so im gussing you side with free play games.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Free games have a big lead.

12. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yep see, i knew it was going to be like that. Free games is awesome an is going to win:).

13. Narubian

Narubian Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    To be honest P2P ones are better in so many ways (at least from what i seen in gameplays on youtube) but F2P ones earn more cash (thanks to those items you can buy in store for specific money that is bought via real money) and also they are FREE to play or at least till certain point of the game thus i`ll side with F2P games cause you are not bound to play them like you are with P2P ones in terms of you can log on and play for 20min or 4h it wont matter cause you dont pay that time you spend on them while P2P... well you already know :)

14. CHAC

CHAC Tingly Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yeah but theres alot of down falls when playing pay to play games though. Playying for a game usually takes the fun out the game. People get bored.

15. Predator666

Predator666 BamBam

Credit:
    Today there is no Free to play games in multiplayer i mean
    There is always something in the game that you can buy with real money
    Take Leauge , World of tanks and many more they are all free to play but people spend so much money that the makers of that games earn more than the makers of games you have to buy to play
    League of Legends' revenues for 2013 totaled $624 million, making it the second top free-to-play game in terms of earnings and its a "FREE GAME "

16. sinisuba

sinisuba The Unforgiven Judicator Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Everybody loves FTP games.
    Altho, PTP are sometimes way better than the FTP ones.
    So yeah... you can't really choose a "better" side, because it really depends on the game's construction.

purr purr,
    sinisuba

17. Jonyka

Jonyka Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Deffinitly free to play...Dont have much money so i would spend it on games,my salary cant survive that much xD

18. iTzRoxy

iTzRoxy Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    free play games because you will need money for something else not only for games

19. Gavra10

Gavra10 Clubbed for Ignoring Rule and Rude PM

Credit:
    Free to play games :D

20. doubllejump

doubllejump Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit: