1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest Next: In for the hype?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Kytsune, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Kytsune

Kytsune DA BIG CLUB Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    So, EverQuest Next was recently announced and I had some things to say about all of it -- to tell the truth it feels like it's in full hype mode with a lot of grand, extravagant promises:

* Emergent AI giving a living world;
    * A world built out of voxels (like Minecraft) that's also destructable;
    * Places and things that players can constantly rediscover;
    * Better animation and smoother movement across the landscape;
    * Horizontal class progression alongside no "holy trinity."

What's your take on EQ Next and the hype? Is there some component of all of this you think will revolutionize the MMO world?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Really like what I'm reading and seeing, I've snagged a seat on the hype train and crossing my fingers it doesn't crash. I'm still very sceptical but at the same time it feels like they are trying something new which I really want to believe it's true. This genre desperately needs fresh... at least I do, I'm really sick of fetch quests.

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  3. Kytsune

Credit:
    I agree.

Just like everyone else -- I know that PARTS of this hype train are totally going to derail; but there's so many moving components even a few of them working out as-told will radically change the field. Although much if it seems like nice short-step evolution from games such as Guild Wars 2 and innovations developed in World of Warcraft, I fear that the fan favorites will turn out to be less than stellar in the end.

I really want the "emergent AI" concept to be a working thing, where while you find certain enemies gathered in particular regions, you might find them warring together, or changing locations altogether, or working in a sort of ecological balance to the activity of the heroes. But, I'm questioning how exactly this will look when the rubber meets the road in the actual virtual world.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    I really like the idea of emergent AI as well but given the fact seemingly even the best single player RPGs still haven't done it right... I can't imagine how they will pull it off in an MMO. If they somehow get it done kudos to them but I agree I think that's defiantly one of the main points that will end up not quite as expected.

Destructible Environments is also something I'm sceptical at this point... I mean it's easy enough to do but in the video they show the giant golem thing punch through a wall... it was very quick and cool but I can't imagine they are just gonna allow people to destroy anything they want, especially in way that happens that quickly. Limiting it to specific stuff sucks though, it won't feel right if you can tear down this wall but that one is untouchable. I'm not sure how they are gonna do it while still keeping immersion.

5. Kytsune

Credit:
    People won't be able to destroy anything they want in EverQuest Next. In fact, particular structures (potentially core cities, etc.) will be indestructible; and even the world itself, while it can be wrecked, rearranged, and destroyed will self-heal over time so that the world doesn't totally get obliterated.

No doubt, a good sized playerbase would probably grind the world down to bedrock in less than a day if given the chance. ^^

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    Indeed, if it can be destroyed... it will be destroyed. ^^ I'm just saying the typical "Destructible Environments" marketing always sounds great but in the end just turns out to be one ooo wow moment and then just boring as it has all kinds of restrictions. The restrictions are there for good reason but still the destroy one wall but not the other kinda sucks... it feels so last gen :p

7. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I hope it is better than Darkfall and TERA :D. Any idea when it will be released?

8. Kytsune

Credit:
    It's slated for release in 2014. I am going to guess Q2 or later. The hype is starting now, so we've got to be more than 6 months from now...however, this is SOE, depending on their development curve they might be able to pull something much sooner if it ties into other products.

I'd say we'll have a good idea of the release date after the holiday season this year, because that'll be when the public will be more hungry to know the when (right now there's too much even coming for SOE for them to worry about the EQ market directly.)

ugmsrocks09 likes this.
  9. Rantzr

Rantzr Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'm aboard the hype train as well. In fact, I've started playing EQ2 just to get back into the series. I also believe it was stated somewhere that Everquest Landmark will be releasing this fall. For those of you who don't know what that is, here you go: https://www.everquestnext.com/about-landmark

10. Kytsune

Credit:
    If thou've got a particularly creative streak EverQuest Landmark will provide an "in" with EQ Next. Since structures build by players that receive enough votes will probably be incorporated directly into the virtual world at launch -- plus, since the SOE team want to enable players to become part of the formation of the land itself and with each other, it will be able to "buy" components from one another.

This means that people will be able to make money from having excellent building blocks that other people want to use and people can then copy those architectural concepts for royalty.

11. Rantzr

Credit:
    That is pretty awesome! Loving the game more and more. :D

12. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    The buying aspect sounds awesome! Minecraft type powers and money for players could be a winner.

13. Kytsune

Credit:
    I see it as a brilliant move for EQ:Next. It will most likely generate a metagame that uses player-constructed content as well as rewarding creativity and capability in a way we haven't seen in many MMOs yet. In a way, that might also help curb the less savory portion of player-generated content while at the same time greatly encouraging people to constructively think about the virtual world.

14. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    can it be billed as a combo of minecraft + wow?

15. Kytsune

Credit:
    Sony is trying REALLY HARD to make people call it that, but I think that it's really not either. Although the whole MMORPG + buildability certainly makes it unique and interesting.

16. Rantzr

Credit:
    I don't get why they'd even want to call it that. WoW is overused in terms of comparing MMOs nowadays, and same with Minecraft. I don't see it being anything like WoW to begin with, more similarity between it and GW2 if you ask me.

17. Kytsune

Credit:
    WoW and Minecraft have something going for them that Sony wants to co-opt or at least hook into: they're both extremely popular and they're household brand-names. By invoking their names Sony wants players who like both of those games to see their game as good for them as well.

In essence, Sony is attempting to take the popular brand for WoW and Minecraft and say: Hey, did you like either of these games now and way-back-when? Well: We're doing it better!

18. Rantzr

Credit:
    When put that way, yeah it makes sense lol.

19. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Are they really doing it better though:)?

20. Kytsune

Credit:
    It looks like they intend to do the MMORPG better -- but certainly not Minecraft better. If all the hype is golden, the RPG part will certainly be superior to current models -- including the AI and the way that people move through the environment.

The Minecraft-esque portion is the creativity and sandboxing which I expect will be highly innovative. However, like I said, it's not Minecraft, it just borrows ideas from it to talk about basic level creation. These are a set of tools that should be pulling together different resources from the community, like Landmark, and it will also work to produce a beginning audience for the game.

Even if the AI, and much of the game tends to under-deliver, EQ has a huge audience and a lot of highly devoted fans who will go there anyway. What SOE is trying to do right now is keep their old audience and roll in the new one.