1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Game Making Resources

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Aaddron, Oct 5, 2008.

1. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    You're probably the expert on game development shugo, seeing as you have your own game

3. shugo

Credit:
    nah I'm no expert, I have no formal training. I'm what you call an autodidact (self-thaught)

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    That was a great blog post, Shugo:).

How long do you think it would take to make Ogre Wars into a stand-alone browser game?

5. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    You're self-taught, but you're still the expert amongst us here.

6. shugo

Credit:
    I have no idea ogreman, as I haven't tried ogre wars yet sorry :(

perhaps awesomedrako, but I don't know there could be more people who dwell on these forums that have knowledge

7. shugo

Credit:
    I've taken a look at the game. Seeing how there's already some plugins into the forum and there is a refresh, I'm guessing that most of the code is already there. Judging from the description the conquest system seems pretty basic, there's no researches I think, so that means there'll be few if-else constructions and relatively few variables to fetch. Permitted the creator already knows some php and sql and knows how to use a database... I could be wrong, but... 1 or 2 weeks maybe

I did most of my work on my game during the christmas holiday and the strategy wasn't that complicated yet in the 1st round (or 1st beta)... i alpha tested my game in the first weeks of januari an put it online in march (I was hesitant to put it online in februari, but eventualy I found a cheap host and decided to go on with putting my game online)

8. quinn

quinn Starcatcher Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I think the forum plugin is almost PHP, but with a few variables from the forum, such as usernames to store the data under..I've looked at the variables for buying stuff too, and it seems pretty simple...I am not aware of how the fighting is calculated though.

(I need to learn javascript, thanks for your guide shugo! I know some PHP, but I've never tried to make an MOG...)

9. shugo

Credit:
    yeah I'm not entirely sure how the fighting is calculated, but i guess that's pretty basic too and shouldn't take too much time if you know how

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Online Game Development now has its own forum:). We want to add more resources since this was lost in shuffle in the Upcoming Games forum.

11. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    The thread title is slightly misleading; when I looked here again (I'd forgotten about it), I expected to find various sites with sprite pictures, sound effects, music for use in games. What I didn't expect to find was over half of the sites being actual tools to make games.

Never mind though, I suppose they are still resources in their own right.

And the Game Maker forums have two forums for finding game resources: GMC Game Resources
    These two forums also list a ton of sites with game resources themselves, so you could look through these topics:
    Graphics Resources
    Sound

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  12. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    I'd say Blender is apparently a good system to use for game creation. blender.org - Home

However...90% of the tutorials are apparently for the 2.5 beta version, which is so much easier to use -.-;

Also, don't bother with the msi installer, or the installer at all, simply just download the compressed and there's usually an executable inside which you can use.

13. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Blender is only really good for 3D games, and it's overkill for 2D games. Also, while it does allow programming (hence why it's good for 3D games), it'll generally be better to program the game in a proper programming language such as C++.

And actually, if you look on the internet, 90% of the tutorials are for versions older than 2.4, and documentary for 2.5 is far fewer right now. After all, 2.5 is really new.

2.5 is really good though, so it'll be much better to use that one now. Out of all the tutorials on the internet, the only complete, free tutorial series on 2.5 right now is this: Blender 3D Design Course
    It's entirely in video, but it'll get you to the point of where you can go on any tutorial and mostly know what they are talking about.

Another good site is Blender Cookie. Half of it is paid content, but the free content is also very good. For example, there is a series on creating a 'stylised dragon'.

If you are looking to creating a game with Blender, look for tutorials on the 'Blender Game Engine'. This is the engine that will allow you to program (I think) a game with Blender. For example, this is a series on creating a Simple Character with Game Engine.

14. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Are there any good games that have been made with Blender?

15. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    As soon as I figure out how to use 2.5 I'll let you know *sweat*

16. Joker

Credit:
    How is expensive is it to make a game with Blender?

17. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    Bearing in mind that Blender is a FREE program. I'm going to have to say about $300bn at the cheapest!.... :p

Jokes aside depends on the game. If you want to make an mmorpg, then server costs need to be taken into account. If you want to make a standard game then quite possible there should be no cost unless you 'want' to pay for something. Such as textures, materials etc etc.

Seems like there's a lot you can do for free nowadays.

18. Joker

Credit:
    Awesomedrako mentioned paid content above is why I asked.

19. KChildheart

KChildheart Brute

Credit:
    As long as you're prepared to do the work you'll be fine. There are plenty of tutorials on the net for everything you want to do. *glares at ehow & youtube* Blender has some good tutorials of it's own on the site as well as a few on CGTuts (which has a few sister sites you might want to check out).

Good luck and let us know how things go or even what you want to do ^_^

20. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Some tutorials have to be bought, but like KChildheart said, there are many tutorials that are free, and some sites, like Blender Cookie, have both.However, I also mentioned a beginner's tutorial course that is completely free: Blender 3D Design Course

Blender itself is licensed under GPL, so it's open source software, free to download, and you're free to distribute any creations if you're giving them away for free. I think you're also allowed to charge for any creations you make from it, as long as you're not blatantly copying other peoples' works (that's illegal in most circumstances anyway), but if you want to do this, you should ask around 'Can I sell my Blender creations', cos I'm not entirely sure whether it's allowed.