1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Runescape vs. Maple Story

Discussion in 'Online Game Battles' started by Panda, Apr 15, 2008.

Which is the better Free-To-Play MMORPG?

1. Runescape

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. Maple Story

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. Panda

Panda Club Swinger

Credit:
    Two of the best free games. Both are popular, yet have crummy graphics. Which do like more or hate less:eek:

2. Eviran

Eviran Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    Both are bad :eek:but pick MS:D

3. Socal

Socal Little Spike

Credit:
    Prefer MS too.

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I like runescape more

5. emiel

emiel BamBam

Credit:
    runescape i think but the updates are stupid i think a lot of people dont like runescape.
    but it is better than ms.

6. elterrible

elterrible Club Swinger

Credit:
  7. munksyman325

munksyman325 BamBam

Credit:
    Runescape is a piece of garbage until you actually pay for it but then its not a real free-to-play MMO is it? I guess I'll have to go with Maplestory

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    Care to explain why you feel its a piece of garbage? If Runescape isn't a FTP MMO because you have the option to PTP then neither is Maple Story as you have the option to buy items for it which would make it PTP (you pay to use the item or more literal it's a pay to play item)

9. munksyman325

munksyman325 BamBam

Credit:
    I really don't like Runescapes graphics and you can't do half the skills until you pay. The dragon weapons are only available for people who pay and a while ago they even took out the wilderness because of "real world trading". Maplestory you really don't need to buy anything in their item mall to get new weapons. All the items in there a just for looks.

10. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ok thanks for explaining.

11. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Even though RuneScape is better, I have to say MapleStory(Even though I played it for 5 minutes and uninstalled it) is better SOLELY because of the developers. Runescape's Devs have NO idea how to run a game. They are the first MMORPG to limit trading, and control the economy. They are the only MMORPG that recieves hate for almost EVERY single update they get. Even though it's usually the community that's stupid for getting mad at RuneScape, when they asked for the updates..:p

Like the joke goes,
    How many RuneScape players does it take to change a lightbulb? 1, and 1 Million people to complain about how it was better the first time. :p

Other than the Dev's, I think RuneScape would have the better game. They have so much to do, and it takes well over 4+ years to complete(Except for N0valyfe, he did it in around 2) because of the number of skills and things you can do. Skills are still being added which is a good thing, and every month they bring 1 big update, and 1 to 2 small updates, which is also VERY good, and almost no other game does that. Most players though are "Underage" and can get really annoying, but when you look past them, the game itself is a blast. Though, they definetly need a better clan and party system, and that's what hurts them in some peoples reviews.

12. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    Runescape is better.

Runescape is indisputably better than maplestory. Runescape clearly has more rewarding quests. In addition , there are many different skill's you can train. Runescape doesnt take long to load since it is a browser based mmorpg , you dont have to download anything, updates dont take that long, unlike maplestory. Also, runescape, unlike maplestory , has inummerable minigames to take part of. There is more. Runescape provides a useful clan chat option , which allows for easier clan organization and group activities. That is all. I will describe every extra runescape feature in even more detail , then , we need to compare things that maplestory and runescape offer.There is one thing many people forget to compare , the websites of course. Many people abominate runescape without analysing anything first.

First , we need to go deeper into what runescape offers. The quests , quests range from low to high, an outstandingly high level doesnt make that much of a difference as most of the quests require a level from 3 - 80. Possibly even lower. Most of the quests can be completed by anyone at any level.Now , since runescape is browser based , the game can be loaded in seconds. Even on the slowest connections with the lowest possible ram. Most computers can run runescape without downloading anything, however , most mmorpgs require that you download the game first and some mmorpgs even require that you download extra packages. World of warcraft , for example cannot be installed on every computer , takes at least ten days to download on slow connections and may require extra downloads. The update speeds...runescape doesnt take long to update , most other mmorpgs however , take preposterously long. Although long updating times arent a big deal to few people , this is a problem for those who have slower computers. One more thing to add , the runescape client, it can be downloaded in five seconds on almost any computer.

If runescape is not the best mmoprg out there , runescape has to be good. Indisputably , runescape is not bad. It can only be worse than other mmorpgs. Just because runescape is worse doesnt mean one can conclude that it is bad. Even if runescape is worse, it can only improve and can be better. Here is my point. Compare runescape classic to runescape two. The new runescape is way better. Now , will the third runescape be better? Probabbly yes. What about the fourth? Did world of warcraft have a classic? Did "maplestory" have a second runescape or classic? No beginning and one end equals no advancement. Therefore no satisfaction.

13. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    How about somebody vote for runescape and tie this thing up and we can continue this debate.

The new maplestory pvp system is preposterously lame compared to runescape. You need to be honest. Also , dont you maplestory players agree that nexon tries to trick you into buying nx shop items? Finally , why play a game in which you could just buy your way to the top and finish. Runescape isnt like that , you dont buy your way to the top and waste your cash. Oh did I mention , maplestory is the most cumbersome grindfest by far. It makes me sick. You actually have to kill at least 10,000 of a boss before gaining a level at 80. Imagine ...at level 81 this number restarts and increases. MAPLESTORY IS A GRINDFEST.Also , you maplestory fans need to think about this , including people that consider playing maplestory.Do you really want to spam the same key 10,000 times for one level then spam the same key 100,000 times ten levels later? Oh , add in the spell keys. If you use four spells , you hit 100,000 times 4 which equals 400,000. Did I mention , potions?Even worse , bosses usually spawn every hour. So you need to spend 10,000 hours to gain one level if you train on bosses.Do you want to spend 10,000 hours doing tedious leveling on bosses for ONE level?Runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg out there.

14. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    Runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg out there. Maplestory is just another popular mmorpg out there. Im going to be honest , maplestory is good with upsides but runescape is the BEST browser based mmorpg let me reiterate. That makes runescape good.

15. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    I want a debate NOW. I Will beat anybody that argues against runescape, I DECLARE IT.

16. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
  17. xeias

xeias BamBam

Credit:
    !! I want it now!!!!

18. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Vote for RuneScape to help make it happen.

19. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Ok, I'll take you up on a debate. Give me a few. :)

20. eXoZmM

eXoZmM Clubbed

Credit:
    Ok. Now, this isn't opinionated as I dislike both games equally(Actually, I dislike Maplestory more, as I suffered through 5 years of RuneScape, and only 5 minutes of MapleStory, but I'll defend it all the well).

You can't base quests from game to game. Quests/rewards are entirely different in both games. In some games, 600K = Nothing. In RS..600k = A lot, so rewards play no part here. Also, "auto attacking - how many mmos have auto attack?" Actually, quite a few MMO's have auto-attack. Second, there is no auto-attack in RuneScape. If your talking about botting...well, that's a different story. Actually, RuneScape not having auto-attack/skill is what makes it so boring. Why sit at your computer for an hour to gain 15-20k EXP in strength each hour? That's degrading. RuneScape has nothing to keep you interested(Other than the vast variety of skills). Once you train at level 60+ on a skill, it becomes so unbearably boring that you want to tear your eyes out.

Just going to pick out every mistake you made really fast..
    -"very fast client download - most mmos have clients that take forever to download unlike runescape." That my friend, is called a loading screen. There is NO download for RS. It's a browser based game...
    -"skills for money making - although some mmorpgs have skills / similar ways of making money. They dont match up to runescape. since runescape specializes in skills. Do you want to grind for the rest of your life using combat skills in maple alone to make money?" Err, money making in RS IS grinding. Just, not in a combat sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use your woodcutting skill to get Yews for cash, aren't you grinding for items/exp? It's ok, you don't have to correct me.:)
    -"we have banned over 200,000 accounts for breakibg rules." Guild Wars/WoW does that too. Does that mean that if a game is good, it must ban 1/5th of their player population?
    -"Runescape is virtually endles"RuneScape is by no means virtually endless. If N0valyfe were still playing right now, he would be done with it. Every game stops at something. Just because no one has gotten all 99 +200M exp in every skill doesn't mean the game is endless.
    -"I didnt even bring up maplestory hackers yet." RuneScape players get hacked over 1,000+ times a day. Plus, the real hackers who make the bots, actually got JaGeX brought to court because of the credit cards they stole to pay for members.

RuneScape is a fun game when you first play, but in the end you realize your sitting at your computer for 20k exp an hour. That to me, is not fun. At least in MapleStory/MMO's you don't have to care about how much exp your getting an hour, because you just play for fun. RuneScape, the majority of players play for competition. Thus bringing the HORRID community of name callers that RuneScape's under 11 population brings. Being featured on MiniClip doesn't help the fact that RS is a child's game. Also, it shouldn't even BE a game. The makers control the market, took away PvPing(Until recently) and tried to get RID of classic. They made it so you have to search for it through Knowledge Base. Maplestory allows you to give your friend 100k with no consequences. That ALONE makes MS better than RS. Come back later when you get the facts right. :) **EDIT**Also, I like how you say that MS needs potions. Potions are the same thing as food, so...yeah. Also, how long have you been playing? I'm guessing not long enough to see how the developers of RS have changed. They actually closed down query support. Are they trying to help their game or kill it? RuneScape takes more drastic actions than any other MMORPG out there, and they are losing people for it. I myself was a P-Mod, and I think JaGeX sucks at CS and anything like that. They make stupid rules, and stupid reasons for those rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008