1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

GameOgre Facebook Group

Discussion in 'Social Games' started by stephstar101, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    offtopic_ your dragon looks awesome :)

2. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    They all are, but they're all boys right now...

3. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    How many do you have now?

I joined it awhile ago not many people are joining the group :l it looks like twitter is doing better :)

4. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    ogreman gave me Admin on the facebook page but I'm thinking whether or not to change it from a group profile to an actual page. Want to see if I can do an event where people can upload their pictures and videos to the facebook profile so we can get some activity going.

5. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    If the event where to happen it would imo defiantly have to be made, run and majority promoted on the Facebook side, making it on the forum side wouldn't make sense as the point is for the Facebook group is to bring in new users, if all the group does is draw the current users of the forum to Facebook that isn't generating new users. Yes drawing in current forum users to make the group active will make the group more active which may lead to new users but the forum isn't exactly the most active on the net, draw to much and it's gonna hurt the forum more than help it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this whole thing has to be planned so it's not feeding off the site when it should be feeding the site.

Planning is also important for users that don't want to use Facebook someone saying well you'll need to go to Facebook for this or that isn't gonna fly with them.

I'm not saying the event is a bad idea or shouldn't happen, in fact I think it's a good idea but just saying it's needs to be done carefully.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
  6. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Exactly right. That's where the difference is. We want to target those who browse facebook. Facebook isn't the place where people can discuss things. If they want to discuss things for the facebook, they come to the forums. We don't want to target the forums. We want to target facebook. Those who have facebook will be able to upload photos and videos to GameOgre's facebook page and be able to discuss them on the forums and make a shoutout on the facebook :) Forum events target the forums and facebook events target facebook while attempting to bring facebook people to the forums. But you are absolutely right, events have to be planned accordingly so facebook is feeding the site. I'm hoping to contact ogreman soon about this because right now GameOgre has a group profile. I don't know if a group profile is what GameOgre should have as many other gaming sites have actual page profiles.

As you can see, GameOgre's facebook profile has a .com/group.php? url suffix while other gaming sites have a facebook profile with a .com/page suffix. Page profiles offer better ways to display videos and photos while group profiles are more private and smaller.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
  7. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    GameOgre's Facebook page does need to improve.

8. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
  9. Aaddron

Credit:
    idk I think I like the group better.

10. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    It's like I told ogreman, a group profile is used when it comes to having small groups and having fun with it. When it comes to professional gaming companies and whatnot, page profiles are used because it offers a better layout and page profiles are more recognizable for professional facebook profiles. It also helps drive traffic and allows fans to contribute easier. Group profiles are used by small groups of people whose goal isn't really to attract other people to their group.

Either way, now that we have a page profile, it makes GameOgre look more professional. Having both the group and page profiles while only focusing on the page profile will help drive traffic :)

11. Aaddron

Credit:
    I'm not saying the page is a bad thing but at least get the facts straight, Groups are not justt for small groups of people that want to have fun, prove where this is true. Some groups have millions of users, I always gets new invites to groups... I hardly ever get new invites to pages.

I'm simply saying I think I like the group better... not I hate the page or we shouldn't have it.

12. GameOgreVideos

Credit:
    Right, that's understandable :) Groups are awesome to be in and you are right, groups do more inviting than pages do. However nowadays, companies will send an email out inviting users to visit their page profiles. So you actually have to be part of the community. Groups will actually scatter around looking for people to invite if they are interested in looking for people. Groups can be small or big. The point is that the majority of gaming sites these days use page profiles instead of group profiles for the fact that group profiles aren't recognized as being professional profiles. Because of this, I chose to create a page profile to help GameOgre :)

13. DareDevils

DareDevils BamBam

Credit:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.