1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Game Making Programs

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by ogreman, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Which are the best? Been seeing quite a few in bundles lately and have even bought quite a few:). List some ones you know and we can set up a poll for them.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I'd go with Unity, Unreal Engine and to some extent CryEngine. They are real tools, used by real developers. Learning the ones like RPG Maker and stuff is kinda a waste of time in my opinion as they have very limited use case. Fun to play around with and maybe build a small game but not for commercial/professional use imo.

Unity
    Unreal Engine
    CryEngine

3. ivekvv256

ivekvv256 Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    I've tried out Unity, and you can do soooo much once you get familiar with it so i'd say unity. Like Aaddron has said you can't do a lot with the normal RPG programs, but if you stick around Unity or Unreal Engine you could easly do a 2D game and progress to bigger stuff as you go.

4. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    Gotta agree with Unity. It is indeed best one.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Good point, I mainly like the GameMakers etc because of the content that is also on sale. What do those engines have above for content or does everything need to be made from scratch?

6. ivekvv256

ivekvv256 Ogre Legend The Pit

Credit:
    With unity you can make things from scratch or you can use the Unity Asset Store, and there's a whole bunch of stuff you can get from there for free that can be used in a game. For example you can search Tower Defense and you can find turrets, lanes, enemies and a bunch of other stuff that'll help you out making a tower defense game... All in all it's a very detailed engine for making games and it's got a free version aswell so yeah, worth a try. ;)

7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Lots of high quality paid work too. Takes the hassle out of being a animator, artist, musician etc... can just focus on being a developer. :) Unreal Engine has a market too but it's prices are generally a bit more, I think it's because Unity has a more indie scene.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ah, nice to know. Wonder if we could make an Ogre Wars game with Unity:).

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    If like the original that would be inefficient but in terms of a 3d game, sure. I don't think anyone here has enough experience in Unity to do it though.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Well if Ogre Wars can be expanded, sure:). We are not married to that old VB Plugin lol.

11. Well I do like Adobe Flash since you can make Flash games and have it displayed on the Web, but it seems like Adobe Flash is fading away. There are other game making programs like GameMaker which I think is easy to use for beginners, RPG Maker which is also easy to use, Unity (C#), and Unreal Engine (C++).