1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

GameOgre Downtime AKA Magic Ambush

Discussion in 'Forum and Site Support' started by ogreman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    For anybody wondering what has happened in the past 30 hours or so, here it is. I had contacted server support about a small email issue, when one of the server support guys thought it would be a brilliant idea to restart the server without even asking me. Whether it was old or attacked, the server did not want to start back so the entire site and email have been down ever since. Or to put it colorfully, a bunch of sorcerers got together and zapped the ogre for a while lol.

The old server has been fried somehow so they have been moving all the data onto a new one. Due to no warning, this has not been easy. Thankfully a few areas of the site are either fully or partially back:).

The only "funny" thing about the whole episode is that old faithful did it again. Yes, the first area back was the old Review Directory. Many developers have made fun of it over the years, but it proves them wrong everytime lol. In fact, I am going to try to get it back fully functional after everything else is back:).

Before anybody asks, plugins like chat will be slowly worked back in:).

2. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    Goodlucky mr. Ogreman. C:

3. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hope everything turns out okay.

4. ZIFAna

ZIFAna DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Oh, I see. So I wonder why suddenly did not find this forum. But I'm happy to be back to join this forum. :)

5. Awen Blade

Awen Blade King of Bananas The Pit

Credit:
    XD... Thats why.... :p

6. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    oO so that's what happened... well all we can do is wait and wish you good luck!!!

7. Zalb33

Zalb33 DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior
    1. TSM

Credit:
    uhmmm i just couldnt paste links lul but ye hope everything turns good..

8. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Well this explains it then, i really was wondering why GameOgre Forum server went down like that when i was here and then i went to check a thread but i couldn't. I will wait for things to go back to normal like everyone else.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The site is basically back now:). However, am seeing a few kinks on the forum that will be ironed out. One appears to be the Event thread. Don't think everybody can post there yet for some reason. The short term solution may be to start a new thread to continue the event until that gets fixed.

Also posting links in chat is not allowed until we fix the chat fully.

10. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Any estimate when mainsite is going to be fixed pretty much completely? It's pretty inconvenient to do things with current issues there.

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I just turned the credits back on yesterday because support turned off a few plugins trying to get the site back. That said, some things will just need patience right now.

Would suggest to do all the stuff that you normally do for the time being and dont just stop because it is not 100% yet. If you do your normal routine and you dont get the same amount of points etc, I can fix that easily.

Somebody did review games yesterday on the main site so I know it can be done. For posting in Events, on the forum, and even chat, you can take off the http or https and you should be able to post.

What I won't do is rush and try to fix something minor and then break something else. Basically, that is how this all started. I contacted them for something small and it brought down the entire site.

What I will do is spend more time on these issues now that the weekend is over. Just have to be careful when we do:). Going to send one list of all the issues and instruct sever support not to do anything until I approve it. Mainly want info on what can be done to fix the issues right now.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, got one major issue resolved now. The admin can makes changes again. Had at least one spammer get by with a name and spam info simply because the forum would not take my changes. Had to put a saddle on support and ride them today to get that done lol.

Now working on links or at least identifying what is causing it. However, it is also possible that would help the admin also fixed that as well.

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, the links are finally fixed and I believe registering is fixed now as well:).

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Also receiving emails on comments via the blog like before so most of the issues could be solved now:).

However, post here if some still exist.

The only ones that may are from the blog plugins that were turned off. I have just turned on Mycredits so far. Instead of telling me which ones they turned off, I have to go by what I am seeing like with the points.