1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Otherworld - a game I'm working on

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Tariel, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tariel

Tariel Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I sure hope we get cron working eventually. It's going to limit things a lot if we never figure it out.

The newest implementation is the possibility to request companions. This means you can team up with other people, including people you know in real life. The only limitation is that you can't join your own characters, but you can circumvent this by having a friend in the same location request company instead.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    We will just keep trying until we do then:). Any response from Stack Overflow yet?

3. Tariel

Credit:
    They said to run the command (without the 1 * * * * * part) on command line and see what that says. See PM.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, had a few site problems here this week, but going to try at least what you said in the PM tonight:).

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, did it but do you think we should try removing that one and doing a new one? The editing seems to have no effect.

6. Tariel

Credit:
    It's possible that it's blocking it because it was sending error messages so the system knew there was no reason to repeat it. You should remove the current cron job and try to re-enter it in the right form, which is path to php, space, full path to file. If you start receiving messages again, that would be a good sign. But that you aren't even getting error messages suggests it's not even trying to run in the first place. If you can see the file system, you can check where php is actually installed, although there might be multiple versions.

7. Tariel

Credit:
    Oh, possible explanation: Because it was sending emails every hour in the beginning, your email may have started marking them as spam. Try safelisting the address it mails them from.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ah yes, that could also be possible. Will check the spam folder.

Ok, will try it again fresh:).

9. Tariel

Credit:
    Maybe we should try with a simple script that just returns text and doesn't reference any includes. If that works then we would know that the problem is in the includes. But if even that doesn't work, then the problem is with cron itself.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I will try the shell soon when I get a chance this week:). Just doing what I can when I can so far.

11. Tariel

Credit:
    I was told that I could install php for Windows and try to run the script locally. Well turns out that requires Visual Studio Redistributable and my computer has slightly too little Ghz processor to run the 2015 version, but the 2012 version doesn't work in Windows 10. Another option would be to install Virtual Box and put Linux on a virtual machine, but that sounds like a hassle. So it sounds more straight-forward if you can try running it through shell on the server.

12. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Never used the shell before, but I will see what I can do:).

13. Tariel

Credit:
    Connecting via SSH to your server - Media Temple It should be straightforward. You just connect and the command should be exactly the same as what we have in cron, since they are full paths, you shouldn't need to even cd to any directory. You should make the connection as root (assuming cron was also set up with root user).

14. Tariel

Credit:
    I tested it locally (although I had to use different paths, naturally), and it seems the issue is it's trying to find the includes inside the folder where php is installed, instead of starting to go backwards from the folder where the file being run is located. If I change the paths to exact instead of relative, it might work.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hmm, so I change the paths?

16. Tariel

Credit:
    The thing is, I changed the paths to exact instead of partial, and I can tell that cron isn't executing the script, so my guess is we broke it somehow by inserting an invalid command in the first place. Most likely we should just give up, unless you want to ask your host provider. The fact that you stopped getting emails suggests that cron stopped running altogether.

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Hmmm, so the shell wouldn't work either because we probably broke something?

18. Tariel

Credit:
    The shell should work regardless. They're not bound. What you're asking the shell to do is simply open a file through php. It's much simpler than using cron because it doesn't have the timing element, it is instant.

19. Tariel

Credit:
    The site itself has no way to register or contact me, so if you want a testing account, you need to contact me here instead. Unregistered people can still access the plans and work list, but not post comments. This is to avoid spam.

The newest feature is automatic resting. This means that manual resting will soon be removed.

If someone wants to help, read the plans and work list and comment on which features you consider most important, and if there are ones that should be bumped lower on the list. Things that have gotten upvotes are producing metal and pregnancy/ability to play child characters.

20. Jgio

Jgio Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    I would like to play your game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.