1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Online Game Development

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by ogreman, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    We are doing more of this nowadays so expect this forum to become much more active:).

2. Mordekaiser

Mordekaiser Dealer of Death Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    How active? as active as me :)

3. silversword

silversword Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    The issue that I always encounter is the balance between player and monster and if that balance should be the same or different between players. I mean the balancing of PVM and PVP.
    I've seen some games that have an almost different system between those two game modes and some are almost the same. To make it even simpler, an action-based game.
    The main issue that I would like to discuss is something a friend of mine have been arguing about for almost months now:
    Should a dodge ability have a cooldown or not?

By cooldown I don't mean an invisible delay timer but a visible timer that lasts about 3 seconds or even more. I've been telling my friend that there should be none in PVM since the monsters usually have no cooldown for any of their attacks but for PVP I say there should be a cooldown. He says there should be a cooldown for both or else the player would be too powerful or something like that.

What do you guys think?

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I think it should be in both, if I've learned one thing about gaming over the years if it can be exploited, it will be exploited. I hate the idea of a cooldown on dodge, I hate it in practice in Guild Wars 2. It's not fun wanting to dodge but pressing the button and nothing happening. That said I get why it's there, people would abuse it if it was unlimited so the developers have to balance that somehow.

I kinda like your idea of unlimited in PvE and cooldown in PvP, it's a nice middle ground. The only things that get me though is having differences between modes in how core systems work isn't ideal, also I think it would be extra work as even though it's unlimited, it still would have to be balanced in some other way... otherwise players will find a way to exploit it and then it breaks the game xD but if they balance it for unlimited use then it might as well be used in PvP too.

I don't know, it's an interesting topic.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, it is a very interesting topic:).

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    We are going feature more Kickstarter games in this forum:). There are some good games and concepts that just need better funding to help with development.

7. TenaVincent

TenaVincent Ogre Newling

Credit:
    There are plenty of online resource available which are used to build online gaming just you need to follow the instruction.

8. YinYang98

YinYang98 Little Spike

Credit:
    I would like to try

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Which would you like to try:)?

10. Jeric dion

Jeric dion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit: