1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

RuneScape Void Knight Review Competition

Discussion in 'RuneScape' started by ogreman, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Jagex and GameOgre.com have teamed up to offer a contest that finds the best honest review of the recent Void Knight update. You can discuss what you like and don't like about the update.

Play RuneScape Now

Winners:

1. 00-Evan
    2. Ichigohollowfied
    3. celluk1

Rules

1. Please explain what you think about the Void Knight update (good and bad) in this thread only.
    2. Use your own words.
    3. Give as many details as possible.

4. Screenshots may be used in your review.

[​IMG]

Duration

This contest will last for two weeks.

Prizes

The top 3 reviews get a free membership for one month.

RuneScape Membership:

RuneScape Membership has the following additional benefits:

• No in-game advertising.
    • 9 more skills to train.
    • 29 members-only minigames.
    • Your own home to construct.
    • Larger game world.
    • Over 100 more quests.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    This contest can now begin:).

3. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    Pros(good things):

-First of all, it was nice to see a continuation of a quest after they just released one version of it not too long ago

-I found this puzzle [pic below] a bit different to solve, it wasn't too hard such as elemental workshop 3(this quest had a ridiculous puzzle which took forever, and gave a horrible reward for the amount of effort you put into it), but it wasn't made too easy like a treasure trail puzzle.
    [​IMG]

-I thought it was nice that you could actually put your own input (you could either kill the pest of release it), without receiving a different output(finishing the quest)

-The chemistry part was odd/fun, i liked it. It actually made you follow directions. It was a short little mini game but I messed up the first time.

Cons(bad things):

-I thought it was a little cut out the rewards, (I would like to see a new item in at least the next quest, possibly ability to get the void sword? :p) could have been a little bit better since the quest did take a while (around 75 minutes give or take). Either in experience or more quest points since it doesn't help me at my levels really. (I know this was only the second quest but still =p)

-I thought the hunter situation with tracking was a bit dragged out, since that part took a bit longer than some others besides the barrels. And because you also did not have a good balance out with other skills in the quest, so try to do that :D.

-I would have liked to seen more cut-scenes.

Overall

decent quest, id give it 4 stars out of 5. too time consuming was the thing =p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  4. 00-Evan

00-Evan BamBam

Credit:
    EDIT: my question has been answered, thank you. My review will be posted here very shortly, in the meantime I'll use this post to show how far along I am.

The review is complete, it's awaiting moderation before it appears.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The best way to do it is to have the review unique here in this thread. However, I will ask if the review can be here and the RuneScape forums.

Edit: Reviews do need to be unique to this thread.

6. celluk1

celluk1 Club Swinger The Pit

Credit:
    The Runescape void knight Quest series so far i have enjoyed, the puzzels and learning more about the void knights past has been very interesting. This story line so far has been quite fun to do aswell as very tricking in some parts.

Puzzels:

The puzzels in these quest have actually been quite tricky, In the first quest where you had to complete a sliding puzzel had a story around it because in quote puzzels mostly get caught up in peoples memories in this quest you had to complete the puzzel to unlock a new puzzel to unlock the real story around it. Also in the second quest where you had to find the Pest you had to first track it 3 times which proved to be a right had thing :) also the when you had to get the barrel that also proved to use you brain quite a bit. And at the end of Second quest so far you had a choice to kill or release the void leech this is if you thought about it a hard bit you could feel sorry for it or add up the evidence to find the right answer it was realy up to the player, Also when doing the samples it was quite hard at first but when you get the hang of it all is good but in my view could have had a little bit more help.

Other Notes:

The quest skills where actually quite nice to get for once had some nice leveled skills to play for so in the end it adds up to be how you think about it if you dont like puzzels and dont give a thought about a quizz this isn't a quest for you but if you do you will probably enjoy this alot.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:

-Nice puzzels (if you enjoy them)
    -a nice story line
    -good alround quest :)

Cons: (depends of what you think about quests)

- Could have had a bit more help in the samples test
    -in hunting for the void leech could have also had a bit more help in the routes

Final Notes:

A good quest quite enjoyable in my view and hope the last quest in the series is as good so far and some good rewards. GOOD JOB JAGEX :)

RSN: jjonderx

7. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    My attempt at a review:D.

The Good:

fun puzzles.
    nice quest skills
    epic storyline
    better quests than normal

The Bad:

Needs better rewards.
    Could have been less complex

Overall:
    The rest of the series should improve.

8. Joker

Credit:
    The Void Knight series helps keep my interest in Runescape. The devs deserve kudos for trying to find ways to help make the game more interesting.

I find the puzzles to be fun and challenging. The puzzles would be no fun if they were too easy. The story is another part that I like about the series so far. The only negative I can think of is that the rewards could be better.

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Ok, Evan. Looking forward to seeing your review:).

10. Joker

Credit:
    Its been a good quest series so far. Here is my mini review.

The Good - The storyline is good.

The Bad - The puzzles can be frustrating.

The Ugly - More loot!

11. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Please give as many details as possible in your reviews:).

12. 00-Evan

00-Evan BamBam

Credit:
    00-Evan Reviews: A Void Dance

Hello, this is my 33rd review and my first review to be originally posted outside of the RS forums! This review comes complete with some shiny new pictures!

My name is 00-Evan and I have been writing reviews for RuneScape content since 2008. I write these reviews because I enjoy looking at new content from an analytical perspective, to give feedback and to create a forum for educated discussion, instead of the usual mindless praising or ranting. I hope you enjoy the review!

What’s in this Review?:

In this review I’ll be discussing the 2nd quest in the new void knight series, A Void Dance. The quest is a puzzle-heavy character driven quest with a sizeable length. The majority of the quest has you hunting down an escaped pest, tracking it throughout a large part of RuneScape. I’m going to be focusing on, as usual, the three prime aspects of a quest: story, gameplay, and rewards. Read on to find out my full opinion of the quest!

What’s the ranking system?:

My scoring system is largely based from school grading, with 7 being average and 5 barely passing. I chose this system as it is a scoring standard we can easily identify with. The scores A, S, and XS are for updates that go above and beyond. Due to this different scoring system, I may appear to give higher scores than those who use a more standard system (such as something out of ten).

0/10: Disgraceful
    1/10: Abysmal
    2/10: Terrible
    3/10: Very Poor
    4/10: Poor
    5/10: Inadequate
    6/10: Marginal
    7/10: Average
    8/10: Good
    9/10: Great
    10/10: Excellent
    A: Amazing
    S: Spectacular
    XS: Prime

Table of Contents:
    Part 1: Introduction/Index
    Part 2: The Story So Far
    Part 3: A-Void-Dance of the Point
    Part 4: Giving the Story Some Character
    Part 5: Cannot hold her together much longer!
    Part 6: Commendations are in order
    Part 7: Summary and Conclusion

The Story So Far:

In the first quest in this series, Quiet Before the Swarm, we discovered that a pest had escaped from the void island. The quest covers the discovery of who let the pest out, piecing together segments of a shattered memory, and finally discovering a hint towards far more sinister intentions on the horizon. Quiet Before the Swarm was an excellent quest demonstrating not only a superb presentation but also intriguing puzzles, an eerie atmosphere, and a well formed plot. Perhaps the most important part of Quiet Before the Swarm was the perfect foundation it laid out for the plots of the next two quests in the series. A Void Dance continues to build tensions towards the story’s conclusion. I can’t wait to see how big this Swarm will be.

A-Void-Dance of the Point:

The goal of A Void Dance seems simple enough. You are tasked with hunting down an escaped pest and presumably either gutting it or setting it free to play with all the various woodland creatures (hooray for black/white moral choices). This relatively simple task becomes more and more drawn out however. A simple tracking expedition quickly turns into a journey across the entire kingdom of Asgarnia! Thankfully, this massive expedition avoids becoming tedious by a variety of interesting gameplay mechanics, events, and puzzles. This means that the quest weighs in at a hefty and enjoyable two or more hours of gameplay (assuming you don’t rush through the puzzles with a guide). This is a great length for an experienced quest and a welcomed change from the standard 45 minute quests Jagex has been pumping out at the lower difficulty tiers.

I’m certain that these puzzles and other various length enhancers will infuriate a player who is only in the quest for the rewards, or to complete the storyline. Those players would however be doing themselves a great disservice by not properly enjoying the quest. The reward for any quest is all the more sweet from the effort if you’ve been letting yourself enjoy the quest instead of treating it as an obstacle. This makes A Void Dance a true quester’s quest, one that is meant to be experienced and enjoyed, not simply grinded away.

[​IMG]

Giving the Story Some Character:

Because of the quest’s structure, a story full of events advancing the plot would make little sense. A single plot point is dragged along the entire quest, with the plot coming to a complete standstill from the start until right before the end of the quest. A story must be had though, and A Void Dance accomplishes this not by the traditional plot advancement, but instead through the development of its characters. A Void Dance features two main protagonists in addition to yourself, both from the void outpost, and both very much at ends regarding the released pest.

The quest hangs its plot solely upon the development of these two characters (largely with each other) as well as the development of a few minor characters. It’s a very freshening change to have a character-centric plot in a quest rather than an event-centric one. RuneScape simply does not have many character driven quests, and after playing A Void Dance, I can see that we are missing out! I cannot wait to see how these two characters and the relationship they’ve built not only with each other but invariably with us is going to be used in the series conclusion.

[​IMG]

AH CANNOT HOLD HER TOGETHER MUCH LONGER CAP’N!:

The puzzles featured in A Void Dance come in a wide variety, from clue scrolls to barrel sorting to pest tracking to a rather fickle set of chemistry equipment. Part of the enjoyment of the quest is derived from the sheer breadth of unique content shown simply in the puzzles. The pest tracking plays out like a standard hunter tracking puzzle, nothing new. The clue scrolls put an interesting albeit minor twist on standard clue scrolls.

Of significant note is the barrel puzzle, a rather tricky puzzle featuring a cramped store room and some barrels that can be pushed, not pulled. A nice convenience addition is placed here, allowing you to quickly undo your last move or restart the puzzle, something you will be doing a lot. I found the intellectual difficulty of the puzzle to be just right, not up to the level of difficulty of some other puzzles, but still more than challenging enough to make you think. This level of difficulty is perfect for the experienced quest level.

[​IMG]

Of the most significance is the chemistry puzzle. This is the first puzzle of its kind for a long time. Variety is definitely a good thing and this holds true for this type of puzzle as well. It is known as a ‘twitch’ or reflex based puzzle. Your simple goal is to regulate power and heat on an analysis machine while frequently swapping out samples. With the addition of an excellent soundtrack, the puzzle is a frenetic task that will have you dashing about in search of the correct lever or button. The puzzle definitely has a certain charm to it, I can recall several ‘CRAP, WRONG BUTTON!’ moments over my attempts to complete it.

[​IMG]

Commendations are in Order:​

A shorter yet no less important subject to discuss is the quest’s reward. Such an excellent quest is sadly shamed by relatively poor rewards. Getting EXP is always nice in moderation, but a solid EXP reward is simply lazy. In this one aspect I feel the quest is a letdown, as quite literally the only thing you acquire is EXP. In this one regard the quest sadly falls short, as until the final quest in this series is released, the only rewards from A Void Dance are dull uninspired and barely useful.

The Positive:
    -Engaging and incredibly varied puzzles.
    -Excellent plot and character development.
    -Hefty length for an experienced quest.

The Negative:
    -Pure EXP reward.

Conclusion:
    The more I reflect on it the more adamant I become. A Void Dance is one of the most enjoyable quests I have done in a while. The more I attempt to assign a score to the quest, the more I find myself caring less and less about its few flaws. I am eagerly anticipating the final chapter in this masterfully crafted quest series.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Review approved:).

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    This contest is now over:). Thanks to everybody for participating.

We will list the winners in this thread as soon as they are chosen.

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The winners are:

1. 00-Evan
    2. Ichigohollowfied
    3. celluk1

All three of you wrote great reviews:). You will receive your prizes shortly.

16. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    I need confirmation on the RuneScape names of 00-Evan and Ichigohollowfied. Please send me that info as soon you can so prizes may be sent.

17. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Just wanted everybody to know that Jagex liked the reviews and feedback from this contest:).

We will be having another RuneScape contest soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.