1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Should it be a crime to sell violent video games to kids?

Discussion in 'MMO Debates' started by Supernatural, Sep 9, 2013.

Should it be a crime to sell violent video games to kids?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Depends on how bad the game is.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Supernatural

Supernatural LiveStreamer Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Debate here on, should it be a crime to sell violent video games to kids and not yes/not?

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  2. Thedarkboy

Thedarkboy Anime Geek Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    No, I do not think it should. Even though it might influence the kids, it's their own money and their own will to buy it. Although, if a game is simply hardcore violence maybe, it would probably good if the seller asks för the parent's permission.

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  3. SkogSon

SkogSon MMORPGer

Credit:
    Yes!
    Why else is there an age restriction ;)
    Little kids cant handle stuff like penumbra or dead space.. Hell, I cant!

there is a need to shelter kids to some extent, there is enough bad influences outside a parents control. Just look at a toddler infront of a tv, they think they have an actual bond with it.
    Thats nothing compared of the immersion of a game.
    Up to a certain age, you are so easily influenced. Brain matter, gore and ultraviolence can still leave me felling nauseous and I have tons of barriers already in place telling me this is not real. A kid doesent have that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
    ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  4. Predator666

Predator666 BamBam

Credit:
    From my personal experience kids that play violent games turn up to be very violent in life
    but the game doesnot have to be violent for the player to become violent i can se that in my litle cousin he is 5 years old and he gets very angry and frustraited whyle playing "Crash of the titans" when he cant pass some level

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  5. Plague

Plague DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    yea man. poor kids lmao. they gonna be war pricks

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  6. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    no, if they're mature to like mature things

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  7. Jeric dion

Jeric dion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    It depends, I think :)

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  8. Jerwin

Jerwin Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Yes, Kids dont need to play or watch games like that ..

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  9. herokae

herokae Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Parents should take more care when buying games or giving money to their kids, making that a crime would be too much for a situation that just require more attention from parents.

ก็ก็ก็ likes this.
  10. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    Well those kids are supposed to have parents who would take care of them, and if parents decide it's good for them to play violent games, i guess it isn't crime.
    It's just a game, noone will get hurt playing it, games can't hurt anyone(only bad peoples can) :).

11. YksNarev

YksNarev Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
  12. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    It depends on the individual, if he/she has some type of disorder then exposing them to violent games early on might not be a good idea. I played a few rated M games as a child but I always knew there was a line you shouldn't cross.

13. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    When I was a kid no, but now yes as it can influence the behavior of a child which can translate to reality.

14. Should just be the responsibility of the parents to regulate that sort of stuff. Some parents are alright with letting their kids do things like play violent video games, watch violent movies, or listen to songs with explicit lyrics, especially on a very moderate level rather than frequent. Only time I'm in favor of the government intervening by imposing restrictions and labeling something as a "crime" is if there's actual harm, and that's sometimes difficult to evaluate on a psychological level because everyone thinks differently. It isn't likely that kids will imitate violent games like GTA, when they aren't even able to drive cars or buy illegal things, and kids probably have their own moral compass anyway to make reasonable judgment. But if there was a game, let's say "knife simulator", that encouraged kids to play with knives, then I would probably think that game should be banned since there's actual risk of imitating that behavior.

It's really hard to make a general argument, because all games are going to be different, and every kid behaves differently.