1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Video games enhance student learning

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by GameOgreVideos, Dec 9, 2010.

1. GameOgreVideos

GameOgreVideos Game Ogre YouTube Channel GameOgre Developer

Credit:
    Playing active video games such as Nintendo Wii can enhance learning for students.

This is the finding of a PhD study by Dr Andrew Manley from Leeds Metropolitan University who will present his work at the British Psychological Society’s Division of Sport and Exercise conference today, Thursday 9th December, at the Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock.

Active video games (AVGs) have become increasingly popular but can they increase students’ levels of enjoyment, satisfaction, motivation and engagement in lessons?

One hundred and thirty sport and exercise undergraduates played traditional games such as quoits/hoopla and darts as well as active video games on the Nintendo Wii (Sports Resort, PDC Championship Darts, Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games). Students then completed questionnaires relating to their enjoyment, satisfaction, engagement and academic motivation.

The findings showed that active video games (AVGs) were just as effective as traditional games in creating a learning environment that students found engaging, interesting, useful and fun.

Students’ comments (e.g. “More Nintendo Wii!!â€; “Really good and different way of putting the information acrossâ€; “I like these seminars…they are fun whilst putting across an educational aimâ€) demonstrated that teachers should consider the use of AVGs within the delivery of learning activities.

Andrew explained: “The increased sophistication of AVG technology provides teachers with new ways to engage students. As AVGs can increase motivation and interest, they represent an effective resource for enhancing students’ understanding of new and comlex ideas.â€

2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Thats why i am so clever! I play many video games!! I knew the teachers were wrong all along!

3. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    duh i dednt evin ave 2 reed teh articul and nuw that wun

u can also prove that reading text in a game is good for you I bet....XD

although i think wii sucks...w/e

4. smd

smd Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    cool research

5. Julein

Julein Idiocracy At Its Best The Pit

Credit:
    this dude is just totally copying me

6. I've actually heard that video games can enhance student learning, mostly about Minecraft. Using Minecraft as an education source is an actual thing in some schools, because it teaches students collaboration and problem-solving. I think it's very interesting.

7. Jeric dion

Jeric dion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Maybe. Coz sometimes it helps our brain to think deeply xD

8. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Yes it can enhance learning!!! I learned many words just by watching movies and playing games!!! The was a case where a professor used a game to teach history... It was Rome total war or something similar i dont remember...

9. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I believe so as well, there are a couple things players can learn in games like communicating and thinking outside the box.

10. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Everything is all praises for games in terms of learning. It only gets bad depending on the content and community if they can pollute young minds. And definitely, addiction is the number one problem associated with games. I always try to check myself and sit out of games every now and then. :)

11. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Especially if you play games with a deep storyline, it can enhance your vocabulary

12. Qsljic

Qsljic Ogre Prince The Pit

Credit:
    Even after 7 years nothing changed, scientist were true, the video games does actually makes us smarter at least a little bit.
    That's enought for me too keep playing video games.

13. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I think sandbox games can help increase creativity.

14. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Because of gaming i honed my observation skills.

15. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I have learned new words when i have been playing games specially when i was younger, i learnt words that i didn't know meaning off but now i have pretty much learnt what they mean. It kinda made me eager to learn more words so it pretty much made me want to keep on studying English.

16. I don't think it's solely focused on creativity, but also collaboration. In a sandbox game, you can work with other players and build together, like in Minecraft. Other than creative learning, Minecraft also has more technical learning like command blocks and redstone.

17. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    This is very interesting and I do think its true. A whole lot of students from other countries learn English by playing games with largely English player-bases