1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Intro to GameOgre.com's Forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ogreman, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    So, you've found us? Well, it was bound to happen! After all, we ARE the coolest, most awesome MMO portal site ever, complete with a blog, a huge directory of games and reviews for them, contests with awesome prizes, a devoted administrator and a few dedicated moderators, and an awesome forum.

As a new user around here, you may be wondering..."What is there to do around here? I've had a look around, and everything looks pretty cool. But I haven't seen everything, and some guidance and tips would be awesome!". Well, that's what I'm here for! In this writing, I'll try to show you around and introduce you here to GO! So...let's get going!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Review Directory

First, I'll be telling you about our review directory. Filled with all the hotest, newest games along with all the oldies that you know and love, the review directory is sure to have a game that you will enjoy!

How you can help: If you've played any games on there, I encourage you to leave a rating and review on that games page, so you can help other users find out if they will enjoy the game!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

The Blog

The main site of GameOgre also has a brilliant blog, with multiple writers. There are a few different columns and you can check the blog for information on any current giveaways or events going on. There are also plenty of reviews and other good things to read on there. I recommend you stop by some time!

How you can help: If you really want to help out with the blog, you will have to contact ogreman directly via PM and talk to him about it.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

The Forums

The forums, my favorite part of GO, are awesome. The people there are lovely, and you're sure to fit in! There are many different forums you can participate in:

-MMO Requests: Ask for a certain type of game here if you can't find what you want in the review directory. Also, you can help others find the game of their dreams!

-Contests and Giveaways: Take part in events sponsored by many different gaming companies here! You can get free beta keys and such a lot here if you look around!

-Other general forums: There are also some self-explanatory forums such as Free MMORPG and Browser Games.

-Game Lairs: Games becoming popular among GO users will get their own forum, known as a lair. Sometimes they even have a site sponsored trivia thread!

-Ad Blockers: This site and forum shop runs on ads, it'd be a big help to us if you turn off ad blockers while using this site.

The many forums allow you to find a section/sections that you really enjoy and find a plethora of like-minded people.

Participating in the forums and being an active, helpful member of GO will earn you forum points. These forum points can be redeemed for rewards such as game cards, title changes, and other prizes. Please keep in mind that these prizes are paid for directly by the site admin, ogreman. Participating in the forums should be done for the fun and enjoyment of the forums themselves. Trying to just get as many points as possible will make people angry at you.

Anyways, go try it out now, and make an introduction thread in the Introductions forum. Just click the New Thread button here!

After you have 15 posts you will automagically be added to the New Ogres usergroup and you can speak with myself, the resident CHAT MONSTER! (Rawr.) or many other people who like to hang out and talk.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Other forms of entertainment.

The Arcade. There are all sorts of small flash games you can play and get on the high scores here. Try to become the Arcade King!

Review Contest. Here you can compete against other Ogres by writing reviews on any games in our directory.

Forum Events. Generally held in Game News. Forum Events offer a way to get more credit for everything you do on the forums, doing well in these Events can net you cool prizes too.

Member Rewards. Get rewarded basically for being a active Member of our forums! Rewards go out every two weeks!

Tournaments. We are constantly holding tournaments around these forums. The current tournaments are usually listed here.

Guilds. We host guilds in various games. Check out the guild forum for more.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Well, I suppose you know all the basics you need to know now! I'm sure you'll have a great time here at GO! Just please, try to be an active, helpful member. Nobody likes a grumpy Ogre! Also, enjoy your stay and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
    Lady gw, Xctroy and Tucci like this.
  2. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I am willing to help too:D.

3. mmmmna

mmmmna BamBam

Credit:
    I assume HERE is where it is, so here it is!

I'm mmmmna, I'm older than most dirt but I know that in the summer of '58, when I arrived on the planet, that there was some dirt already laying around.

I'm new to MMOs, not new to gaming: I never completed the original Zork, I beat the big boss in umoria and in MacBoss (essentially a port of moria to 68k Macintosh), tried Myst but the system got infected by exuberant teen children who downloaded EVERYTHING under the sun... and now I wanna try newer stuff.

See ya!

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Welcome to the forum! Check out GameOgre's various list and see if anything looks interesting. :)

5. mmmmna

mmmmna BamBam

Credit:
    That is what brought me here... that list is well done.

I wonder if we could create a list where it lists games having true Linux compatibility, meaning without emulating Windows. To me, emulating windows is the same as requiring Windows.

I see games in my distribution which don't require an emulated Windows environment, but there must be more than Egoboo, NetHack, Eternal Lands, and The Mana World.

I'll go look around on the net.... and if I find a good list to start from, I'll start a thread outside of this forum.

Visie likes this.
  6. Aaddron

Credit:
    Ah, a linux user :) Second Life, Planeshift, Regnum and EVE all have native Linux compatibility.

7. mmmmna

mmmmna BamBam

Credit:
    ah

Thanks!

:eek:

Visie likes this.
  8. Aaddron

Credit:
  9. Rebirth

Rebirth Professional Kimchi Eater The Pit

Credit:
    I'm new too...

I have a few Qs.

1.What is a blog entry?
    2.How do you win tournaments?
    3.How do you get that medal thing beside your name?

Answer at least one please!

10. Valent

Valent Little Spike

Credit:
    Heya rebirth,

Lemme answer your first question, since I don't know about the two others.

A blog (short for weblog) is a personal online journal that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs are defined by their format: a series of entries posted to a single page in reverse-chronological order. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or reflect the purpose of the Web site that hosts the blog. Topics sometimes include brief philosophical musings, commentary on Internet and other social issues, and links to other sites the author favors, especially those that support a point being made on a post.

Oh by the way I'm new here too, so hello to everybody.

Visie likes this.
  11. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Welcome to both of you:).

2. You win tournaments by signing up in the arcade. There currently isn't a new one right now, but there probably will be soon. Here is a current one:

GameOgre.com Free MMORPG Forums - Powered by vBulletin

3. You win a medal by doing something more than anybody else here. For example, Aaddron has the most regular forum posts of any non-admin and Exo has the most blog posts.

12. Rebirth

Credit:
    Thank you :) Welcome btw.

13. dragon730

dragon730 Big Brute

Credit:
    Ok, i will do all i can to try to help you guys and if i have any problems i will ask them

Visie likes this.
  14. Rebirth

Credit:
    I don't think FightOYoLife has been on Gameogre for a long time.

15. stephstar101

stephstar101 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    yup, they gotz beaten...last time i checked coffeeadict was the champ

16. Aaddron

Credit:
    Fight was the champ when it was posted.

17. thundemp2007

thundemp2007 Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Hi I'm Franz an engineering graduates from the Philippines.Well this is my hobby to look for the latest games in the internet.All about guides and information about this.I'm glad that I found this website.The people here I think are friendly and there's an entertainment and event activities here.Please add me I want to have more friends here to share thoughts and ideas that will make our life unbored.

18. Asperi

Asperi BamBam

Credit:
    Hey guys :)

Visie likes this.
  19. Footballman

Footballman Little Spike

Credit:
  20. alchemaniac

alchemaniac BamBam

Credit:
    hi guys ! im new in this community, please guide me.. ;D