1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Which Programming Language is Best to Start with?

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by ogreman, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Nefertazz

Nefertazz Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Start learning with C, then you can choose any other language

2. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I think either php or html (even tho this isn't really a programming language), those are the ones i initially started with.

3. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Start off with C and go onto C++

4. (Visual) Basic would be a great start for beginners to start with. C++ is more ideal when you already have a good understanding of how to program.

Trumpets likes this.
  5. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    I started with C# before doing welcome message and calculator.

6. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
  7. Still would recommend Visual Basic for beginners (I think you can find a free community version of it), but there definitely are fun ways to get into learning programming. Only problem is that the examples I'll recommend only teaches you to think logically, rather than actually typing up code, but I think these examples would be good mainly for kids, or maybe just for having fun:
    • LightBot (it's a puzzle video game based on programming logic, but not so much of a language)
    • Scratch (it's pretty much block coding where you drag blocks of logic to missing entries to formulate code, almost like a puzzle of its own)
    I kind of like Scratch, because you actually can expand it to other things. For instance, there's a program called S4A which is Scratch for Arduino (which would be nice for people interested in getting into robotics and engineering) and I think you could use Scratch to create functional applications for mobile devices too. I haven't looked much into Scratch, but it's growing more relevant in academia, mainly in K-12.