1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Ogre MUD Ideas

Discussion in 'OgreMUD' started by ogreman, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    List or brainstorm any ideas that you have for our Ogre MUD here:).

2. Noche

Noche Don't feed the troll! Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Aight, I guess I'll start this off.

General dump of the ideas we had way back when this started! Whee!

We started sketching out the map and coming up with ideas here: Your World of Text

The basic premise: prequel to Ogre Wars. There are three (four? Wompers came back after the game was created) major ogre nations at odds with each other. It's not all-out war yet--this game means to explore the various tensions between them in addition to being a full MUD with monsters, quests, etc.

Quinn actually created the main layout in another MUD and was planning on transferring the code over, but he hasn't been around in months so I think we can call that one a bust for now.

- One major feature of cMUD is that it has built-in races (dwarf, elf, etc.). We're probably going to rename them with more ogreish titles, which is possible within the game interface. The basic races are:

>Drow - strong magic, weaker physically
    >Duergar - see in the dark, stronger physically, good miners
    >Dwarf - see in the dark, good miners, poison resistance
    >Elf - strong magic, weak physically, very fast
    >Gnome - see in the dark, high intelligence
    >Goblin - high intelligence, high dexterity (good thieves)
    >Half Elf - balance of human and elf - good all around
    >Halfling - high dexterity, night vision, resistance to paralysis
    >Human - can be any class. very basic.
    >Ogre (hah) - less intelligence/dexterity; high strength

So if anyone has any ideas for new class names, feel free to brainstorm. More info on the races can be found here.

There are also a ton of classes, but those probably won't need to be modified. They all have built in skill trees that we can use.

So, basically, the game engine includes the basic framework for most things we'll need. There will be tweaking involved but, unlike the first iteration of the MUD, we won't have to make every single thing from scratch. Coding NPCs utterly sucked in Penn. >< (insert obligatory Dora reference here)

The biggest question mark is plot. We can easily tack on zones and monsters later, but I guess the first main thing we need to figure out is what kind of a plot we'll want. Making a full RPG from start to finish will take a LOT of dev time and will require ridiculous amounts of initial planning, so I'm reluctant to encourage that option. I was thinking we could possibly pull an AQW and have a continuous release schedule - the first game release would be just the main city or whatever with some basic quests and a bit of plot, then we could be building the new zones off to one side and release them with a new plot chapter every so often. It would let us focus on smaller sections of the game and give us more of a chance to make them totally awesome before we dump them on the other players. One of the issues in the Penn version was that we were building zones while other players were running around in them and wondering why things weren't finished. If we can keep the "under construction" areas separate from the actual game until they're done it'll give a more polished game experience.

So yeah. That's pretty much what I remember from before. The first time we tried cMUD it worked awesome, but that was right before a major Quinn disappearance so it never really went anywhere.

Oh! A tool we might find useful: Scriblink - Your Online Whiteboard

This thing is awesome for outlining ideas/areas and has a live chat/file transfer system, so it makes a fantastic brainstorming tool. :hz:

I mentioned in chat the other day that I can host on a tower until the MUD gets good enough for GO hosting. I fixed the tower over the weekend so it's usable now, but its Java is kind of borked, so I'm waiting on an install disc to update the OS. If that doesn't fall through I'll just dump Linux on it and we'll go from there. This thing should have zero downtime once it's up, too, so people can build whenever. :)

3. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    And this is how you start a good brainstorming thread:). Exactly what we need.

4. Mystery

Mystery BamBam

Credit:
    Why don't we have a contest to see who can come up with the best plot?! Then we can all vote on which one we want? That might be fun :)

5. Kingsfield

Kingsfield Taken a Room in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    I believe me and Quinn were actually able to hide areas from view for normal players when we were fooling around with it one day, so preventing players from running around in not finished areas should be possible

Edit: Get a server up and running and give me access to it and I will start playing around with it and learning the ropes whenever I have time so I can be of use in future, I know a bit of MUD programming from what I did with Quinn, but of course, practise makes perfect :)

6. Noche

Credit:
    Right, King, that's totally possible and I was going to suggest we do something like that. We didn't do it in the first iteration so things got kind of messy. XD

Server will be up sometime this week. Depends on whether I can get install disks within the next day or two, so if that fails, I'll just put linux on the machine. I don't have too much experience with linux, though, so I'm reluctant to do it unless I have to. (I just got it an extra gig of RAM, though, so hooray! :D)

Edit - Whoops, misinterpreted Mystery's post. carry on. XD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    A contest like that could work:). Who else wants to do that?

8. Mystery

Mystery BamBam

Credit:
    I second getting the server up and giving access so we can get some stuff sorted.

9. Noche

Credit:
    I'm shooting for the server to be up Friday afternoon, so feel free to start reading up on the codebase in the meantime. :)

10. crimsworld

crimsworld BamBam

Credit:
    contest would be nice