1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Router Due to Bad Connection

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by ogreman, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Been having connection problems for sometime so going to upgrade my old router considerably with a newer model. I even have a problem using Steam because it always wants to update a game which knocks down my connection. Been putting it off until now because have too many devices on the network over the years and did not fill like having to add each one back manually.

Thanks to Aaddron though, I found out that it might be possible to keep my network if the user info is cloned:). Got all the info from the current router last night and going to finally make the switch tonight. Hoping to enter the same info and keep my current network minus the old router:).

I am replacing a Linkys E3000 with a Linksys EA6350

However, I see on the new one where I have to log into a certain user and pass to get it set up. Thus, hoping I can change it to the old info after that and still keep all my devices on the network. Guess will find out soon enough lol.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Ok, did it, but its weird despite obviously working so far. Using a browser instead of software is very disorienting and doesn't make a lot of sense. Despite having a blazing fast connection now, I can't edit anything so far.

3. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It's done to avoid the extra step, that way the router can host its own configuration system. It also means they can standardize it so you can connect to the same IP address for every router from the same company.