1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

WebSite?

Discussion in 'Online Game Development' started by Razer Machs, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ank1sha122

ank1sha122 Clubbed For Spam

Credit:
    I heared Web Builder 9 is good

2. MilanDiamond

MilanDiamond Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Wordpress is good for that :)

3. Shone007

Shone007 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    If you want to create a web site without any web design knowledge you should use WYSIWYG Web Builder 8.For next steps you need Notepad ++ or Dreamweaver.When you done this part of job,use any of free web site hosting pages(for beginning). :)

4. D34tHM4rK

D34tHM4rK DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    start with javascript and HTML.

5. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Wordpress with a good theme:).

6. alistaly

alistaly Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    As others have said you really have to start with HTML and CSS, especially before moving on to other languages. I would recommend codecademy to teach you the basics of both languages but it wont teach you the foundations of coding or the entire language. For that you need to look at well designed websites and recreate them using Notepad++ and/or read some books to teach you the theory of creating good code. Bad web design will be free of comments, have lengthy and poor workarounds which slow the speed of the solution etc. In conclusion, learn the language but also the core foundations of programming itself.

7. Shone007

Shone007 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    I forgot to tell,best site to learn basics of HTML,CSS,Java etc. is w3schools.com

8. alistaly

Credit:
    That is very debatable, read: W3Fools. That said if you are looking for a very clear and simple website nothing will be completely accurate. Nevertheless, its better to use more established resources like MDN; though in the cause of someone who has never touched code before codecademy is a fair starting point.

9. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    wordpress is a userfriendly CMS, but security wise not that good. It also has some bugs.

For instance don't upload pictures with a very long name. You have to shorten the name before you can upload it succesfully. This is because the name of the picture file is stored in a varchar category column and wordpress doesn't validate the name length.

10. shugo

Credit:
    W3 is quite good if you're new to webdesign, because of its simplicity. But once you gain more knowlege you'll soon notice its flaws.

For example I've used w3 when i just started out learning html. W3 was very good at explaining how frames work, something my O'Reilly book failed to explain properly.

But its simplicity has downsides too. When I was making a tile map, i couldn't figure out why the tiles wouldn't stick together in firefox. I later found out this was because I started the ID in the css file with a number (firefox doesn't accept that). It took me hours to realise that. Its the little details, but sometimes ever so important details that w3 fails to explain.

11. shugo

Credit:
    bottomline is that:

If you want to go the easy route and get poor quality websites go for wordpress or use dreamwaver or web builder.

If you want to go the difficult route and get good quality websites learn the languages, like HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, Javascript.

in summary:

easy to use = crap quality
    difficult to learn = good quality

12. pavelpetras

pavelpetras Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Frist start from html, YouTube is full of tutorials for html. You can find sites with text tutorials but YouTube is still better option...

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Youtube is a good option for that:).

14. CikaB

CikaB The Godfather Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Start with Java, finish with C++ :D

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Shugo summed it up well, but I guess they don't do HTML templates like they used to as much?

16. cemex

cemex Espion Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    currently i designing my template for web

17. alistaly

Credit:
    Those languages have very little to do with front-end web development. Learning them would not really be of great use purely for web development however they are definitely worth knowing if you plan on programming in general as even if unused they do allow for a deeper insight into programming languages.

HTML templates are only getting better actually, HTML 5 brought in a wave of templates. Just have a look at the run of the mill themeforest template and you will see they are all of high quality, not to mention free ones are widely available (html5up.net etc.)

18. shugo

Credit:

HTML is easy to learn. You can learn that in a day. It took me about 4 and a half hours to teach my cousin the basics of HTML and she's not university educated, she's college level material and studies communications and she's definitely not computer savvy nor tech savvy.

CSS is more difficult to learn, but if you know the basics of HTML and if you know how to make CSS classes you can already do a lot in webdesign (at least concerning front-end, because back-level php programming is still out of the question, but php and javascript becomes easier to understand once you know HTML).

You will not need templates by the time you've learned the basics of HTML and when you've learned how to make CSS classes!

And by the way, you only need notepad (which comes free on any windows computer) to make HTML files and CSS files. That's how easy it is. Forget about dreamweaver which costs a fortune, when you can make those files in just the plain and ordinary notepad. The only good thing about dreamweaver is the imagemap editor in it and you don't actually need that either as you can see the coordinates in microsoft paint (also freely available on any windows computer).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  19. cemex

cemex Espion Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    this is my new template which i design, what do you say ?

[​IMG]

20. shugo

Credit:
    looks good, but definitely not responsive. On low res you have too little space