1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Gaming aka Google's version of Twitch

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Aaddron, Jun 12, 2015.

1. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Since Amazon bought Twitch.tv instead of Google, YouTube needed to do something to fill the gap. It's worth noting that a lot of big twitch streamers already post their videos either edited or the full stream to YouTube. This allows them to do it all within one account, they don't have to deal with two different accounts on different websites, with different followers on each. There was really no reason for YouTube not to get in on the game streaming market, and every reason for them to do so.

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    We the consumers need multiple companies trying to do the same thing, they will compete for our business which generally makes for a better experience for everyone. When only one is in the game they slowly keeping pushing the limit... slowly enough to not drive everyone away in shock while capitalizing on being the only game in town.

3. Volnus

Volnus Developer New Ogre

Credit:
    YouTube Gaming is very well built and I prefer it to Twitch. The only minor issue I have is when someone is not streaming the header on the channel page is too big.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    We may try it at some point:).

5. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    I agree. +1

I'm not sure about it yet, but I've heard that you don't earn money by streaming on YouTube, but you can save streams as videos which has it's +es and -es. Anyway, I would still prefer Twitch because it has better atmosphere and you earn money...

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    It'll be easier on YouTube because the direct connection between Live and Storage. YouTube scales a lot better, your videos are making you money even when you aren't live. Twitch your only making money when you are live. That'd be a lot more profitable. I don't know the rules on Twitch money making, it might be easier to make it at first as YouTube has a minimum earned before you get paid but in the long run with the same size audience YouTube should be more profitable an even less work haha.

7. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    Yeah. Probably, in some cases.
    Well, lets take League of Legends content creators for example.
    Keyori - uploads videos every Monday and Friday while he streams pretty rarely. The most of money, he gets from YouTube, so he would really use this 'new Twitch'.
    My 2nd example are NightBlue, Cowsep, Imaqtpie and Trick2g who mostly spent their time by streaming on Twitch. 60% of money they've earned is from Twitch donations and subs. They also upload YouTube vids, but pretty rarely. So... they're staying on Twitch.

Only my seeing of things.
    Btw. that 'one account for streaming and uploading content' option is rly good, and it could make some of them go to YouTube instead.
    Sry if you didn't understand smth.

8. Aaddron

Credit:
    I mean more live stream vs recorded content. Live stream you make money while live. Recorded content you are "live" 24/7. Live streaming wise, right now if you have an established audience on Twitch it makes no sense to switch. I totally agree. If you have an established audience on YouTube and haven't tried the whole live streaming thing or Twitch just hasn't worked out then no reason at all not to give it a go on YouTube Gaming.

At this point the home of gaming live streams is definitely still Twitch. If your more into live streaming that recorded videos then that is definitely where you still wanna be.

It's gonna be interesting to see where each goes. YouTube has it's work cut out for them, they don't always get it right either so we'll see on that. I don't think people will have tons of issues travelling between both, I mean most people already have a YouTube account so it's not a big ask, it's just the annoyance of two sites.

Croco12 likes this.
  9. SeNtRiK

SeNtRiK Banned

Credit:
    no no no lol i would never watch live streams on youtube lol i think they should let twitch to be only site for live streaming.. there is a lot of reasons..

10. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Business-wise, there is no reason for YouTube to stay out of livestreaming. They've had other livestreaming support for years, this just puts a focused area for gaming, especially because livestreaming is typically much more frequent for gaming than for anything else. It also brings benefits for streamers too, anyone who was already going to post a record of their stream to YouTube already has it there.

There can be plenty of reasons why you yourself might not want livestreaming on YouTube, but business-wise it'd be a poor choice if Google and every other company stayed out of it and left it to Twitch.

11. Aaddron

Credit:
    ^^^ all that

Competition is no guarantee either but monopolies tend to end up negative for consumers. Even the biggest Twitch fans should want to see YouTube succeed a bit if for nothing else to help push Twitch to keep improving. Me personally am really hoping YouTube can push Twitch to remove the ridiculous 15 second delay. Not sure yet if YouTube has the same issue though...

12. SaleCar7

SaleCar7 MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Youtube gaming is better than twitch, i think.

Snowy likes this.
  13. ezkills

ezkills Big Bad Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    lol agreed man

14. moonlit

moonlit BamBam

Credit:
    i agree too

15. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    Wow. Never expected Youtube to do something like that.

16. P0WER

P0WER Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    this is news to me

17. Aaddron

Credit:
    Youtube hasn't done a great job with it, it's now been around for a while and many still don't know it even exists. They haven't challenged Twitch at all, which is a shame because you'd think of all companies Youtube would be able to do it.

18. Orkun

Orkun Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    oh good news here

darbove36 likes this.
  19. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Definitely true. I didnt know such thing as Youtube Gaming exists. lol I think they have to entice streamers to switch or at least stream there at the same time. Twitch has subscriptions that are paid so maybe a little money thing to challenge twitch. I do find twitch laggy at times compared to live streams in youtube.

20. Aaddron

Credit:
    Yea, it's crazy even a lot of big youtubers rather stream on Twitch. I'm not really sure why, but it's something Youtube hasn't bothered to address. Got people with 1m Youtube subs, streaming on Twitch to 100k followers, that makes no sense and just reflects how bad Youtube has been with it's whole live streaming setup.

Crazy conspiracy but I kinda wonder if Youtube doesn't bother on purpose. Already been talks about Youtube being a monopoly and them even doing remotely well compared to Twitch would just further that. I kinda wonder if they like having the "competition" to ease monopoly talks. I dunno, it's just weird they haven't been able to put up more of a fight.