1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Unveils Windows 10

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Aaddron, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    It's kinda a mix of both with some new stuff too. Like the start menu is back and a lot of functions have returned to it, the tile interface is gone on non-tablets. No charms bar. Windows 10 brings DX12 which is suppose to bring some performance improvements for games.

I don't know, it's been the smoothest Windows install I've ever done. I'm quite happy with it and it's free which was icing on the cake. If you've got a spare computer around running 7 or up just upgrade it and try it out.

An older people would say the same about XP. :) Each version of Windows is better than the last, you might not be able to adjust an that's fine but under the hood and even on the surface you get countless improvements each time and that for me is more than worth the adjustment.

2. Croco12

Croco12 The Crocodile The Pit
    1. TSM

Credit:
    Wait. It is free? I heard it needs to be reserved or something so you don't pay. :confused:

Sorry for bothering you Aaddron, but could you explain me how to get it for free and will getting it for free be an option in one or two years?

3. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    If you have a licensed copy of windows 7 or 8 and your computer meets system requirements, you would have gotten a "get windows 10" app installed that showed up in your taskbar over by the clock. That's what people were "reserving" their copy for, which just meant giving permission for microsoft to download windows 10 onto your computer in the background.

The free upgrade is available for all legitimate windows 7/8 licenses for a year, so you have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of that offer.

Personally, while the install was quick and easy, my experience with windows 10 was that while functional it performed the same or worse as windows 8.1 for the things I use my computer for. The start menu in particular was a big pain. I might try it again later, and I'll certainly have to switch when I replace my computer eventually, but until then I quite like what I've got.

4. Aaddron

Credit:
    ^^^ All of that. You can get it here, no USB or CD required. Just enough HDD space:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It can upgrade legitimate 7/8/8.1 copies of Windows to 10 and will do so automatically without any need to enter keys (at least from 8.1). As Pure said. It'll keep all your stuff and you can downgrade up to a month after you install... that *might* only work with Windows 8/8.1 though. Still backup anything you don't wanna lose just encase.

If you like it I'd recommend doing a factory reset, it'll reinstall it again but this time wipe the HDD... you lose your stuff but starting fresh guarantees the best possible install... this could help prevent some long term conflicts from a non-fresh upgrade. That's my personal preference based on my experience with upgrades though, if it works for you without a refresh, great!

5. Bog Isus1

Bog Isus1 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    Windows 10 for gaming

i installed Windows 10 and my first thoughts are that this system is really awesome for gaming...i think my games working faster .

6. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's possible, but it shouldn't be a huge improvement. Maybe a new driver though is helping you. :)

7. Vojin

Vojin BamBam

Credit:
    RAM: 2,00GB
    Sistem:x32(x86) or x64
    GHz: 2,00GHz
    And that is all what you need to install Windows 10!
    On ofc microsoft site you can download Win 10.
    Enjoy in your Win 10.
    :D

8. Lexa5255

Lexa5255 MMORPGer

Credit:
    I think it will be better then windows 7 but we will see :blackalien

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    Windows 10 is out now, you don't have to wait :)

10. NemanjaStojanovic

NemanjaStojanovic MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I have small problem with Windows 10. I have windows 7 ios, and I've updated Windows 10. But my windows are not activated.
    upload_2015-9-25_12-23-21.png

11. Lexa5255

Lexa5255 MMORPGer

Credit:
    o nice tnx i didint know :)

12. Aaddron

Credit:
    Were you on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate before the upgrade?

13. NemanjaStojanovic

NemanjaStojanovic MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    I think.. :) Do you know how to active my win?

14. Aaddron

Credit:
    I've heard some people have had issues and they just had to keep trying an eventually it'd go through. I don't know if that's the case for you though.

15. SreckosGames

SreckosGames Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I don't love Windows 10 but i use him in school informaatic

16. CigaMiga

CigaMiga MMORPG Addict Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I installed Windows 10 and tomorrow I have to reinstall PC because it appeared a bag, something that repear , but whatever I clicked , had not improved, start line is like 1 color in paint tho :D