1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Buy a new PC or upgrade your old one ?

Discussion in 'Gaming PC' started by Stevke1, Sep 9, 2015.

1. LoL GAMER

LoL GAMER Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    If your PC is old 3-4 years buy new and it is better for your money. You will save some of your money.

2. LootarVpro

LootarVpro Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    if your pc is old , liek super old , in case if u use old ATA drive on HDD or DDR1 ram slot on your MOBO , u will probably need to get a new one.

HaNnIbAl_ likes this.
  3. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I've already answered this and in terms of gaming I still stand by that post, however I'd say for normal PC use... if you have an older but maybe decent PC that you need to work for school, job etc it might be worth upgrading to an SSD if it's slowing down. SSD can really speed up under powered PCs. I was extremely surprised by cheap Windows Tablets that have very low spec processors and 1gb RAM... yet can really fly with eMMC storage (which is actually slower than SSD).

4. BabaDroga

BabaDroga MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    I think better is to upgrade old computer :)

5. xiZyzz

xiZyzz Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    If you have old PC then buy new one, if not better upgrade it. :D

6. CikaB

CikaB The Godfather Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Depends on how old are your components, if a motherboard is a newer one, then u can upgrade it, if it's older more than 3-4years, then no.

7. Raven595

Raven595 The Fallen Bird Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Just sell the PC that you have now get some money from it....then get some more money and buy a new one :) simple as that :D

8. Roronoa Zoro

Roronoa Zoro Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
  9. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Depends on what you do with the current PC and what plans you would have with a new PC. I still use my laptop from 2011, and it's been able to do the job fine; I've only had to replace the fan maybe twice, but I'm still able to use the laptop to play games, watch videos, and do other tasks. I usually consider switching to a new computer, when my current computer is at the point where it seems obsolescent, and it might be getting close to there (since Windows 7 isn't getting anymore security updates and upgrading to Windows 10 on an old computer is impractical because of how slow it runs).

And I think a good reason to make your old PC last for as long as possible is ultimately to save money, so you don't end up buying a new computer every three years and trashing your old ones (that still work). And waiting has another benefit to costs, like the fact that computer parts become cheaper over time, and newer hardware gets introduced; for instance, solid-state drives used to be very expensive during their introduction but now they're not as expensive.

But I think if you really care about convenience (such as having a quick computer start-up, being able to use newer applications that wouldn't run well on older devices, playing new games with the best graphics and FPS, and many other things), then getting a new PC might be something to consider.

Also when it comes to deciding whether to buy a new PC or upgrade the old one, I'd say buying is better since you wouldn't be dealing with all of the hassle of replacing old parts. Everything is already packaged, when you get a new PC.

10. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    my pc is getting old wish i could just get a new one and upgrade

11. Ashley Eley

Ashley Eley Ogre Extraordinaire The Pit

Credit:
    Sell what you got buy an rebuild a new one because building one is cheaper then buying a stock one from the shop.

12. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Sometimes it's good to keep a spare computer instead of selling it, unless you already have a bunch of computers lying around in your house. And sometimes an extra computer can be used to store data, so I wouldn't necessarily sell a computer.

And I think the difference between buying a new PC vs. upgrading a PC lies within technical know-how, the kind of computer you want to build (how much room will the computer have, because a device like a gaming laptop doesn't have much room for upgradability), and the cost of tools to build it as well as the time spent on building it. It might just be better to buy a computer instead of upgrading it, but it just depends on those factors.

Ashley Eley likes this.
  13. videovillain

videovillain Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    ^ This!

I've got a few older laptops that became Linux machines for data storage and testing out different things from Wifi connectivity to new apps before putting them on my main or trying to my own deployments for testing.

14. Snowy

2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Yeah, older computers can generally be revived to perform better just from installing a different operating system. I think Lubuntu works great for older computers, especially since it's light-weight and doesn't have any bloatware.

But for general-purpose use, there are a few limitations with Linux operating systems like not having as many software available (you could use Wine, but some Windows applications are buggy with Wine). So for general-purpose computing, if you rely on Photoshop or Office, then converting your laptop to a Linux machine probably isn't going to fulfill your purposes, though there are really good alternatives to software available in Linux such as Krita (in place of Photoshop) and LibreOffice (in place of Microsoft Office). But sometimes workplace or school will demand a certain software that's exclusive to Windows, so you might not have too much of a choice there.

But perhaps the main area Linux would be weak in is gaming. Sure, you could play some games on Linux, and I think Steam is available for Linux, but there are a handful of games that don't run on Linux. And I think even with multiplayer games, things like Easy Anti-Cheat would fail. But personally, I'm more of a console gamer than a PC gamer, so it's not too much of an issue for me if I have to use a Linux distro to do things. On the plus side, you don't have to worry much about Windows 10 invading your privacy.