1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Games Using Toys

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by ngocy9625, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ngocy9625

ngocy9625 Ogre Newling

Credit:
    First we had the Skylanders games, which they're still making games and toys for. Then Disney wanted to get a piece of the action with Disney Infinity. Then Nintendo decided to take it up a notch with their amiibo figures and cards, which are still being added to just about every month. Now Lego is stepping into the ring with their newest game, Lego Dimensions. It seems every year a company is going to jump on the toy and video game bandwagon.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think toy usage in video games are just stupid? Or do you want toys for your own favorite games?

2. Grawl

Grawl MLG King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Toy system in Skylanders looks good for me I would like to see more video games that are including gaming toys

3. Zalb33

Zalb33 DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior
    1. TSM

Credit:
    I bought Skylanders for PC and the game itself is pretty good actually :)

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Expensive. No. Yes. However I wanna see much better implementation. Amiibos for example don't do much at all outside of Smash. Skylanders seems to do a decent job but it's a huge cash grab, it's all designed to force you to buy more if you want the full experience. The other two are mixes of poor implementation and expensive costs. The only one I've bought into so far has been Amiibo and that's collecting the Animal Crossing ones because I love that series... in practical terms though they do very very little and aren't worth buying if you aren't a fan. My hope is that will change with future games but right now they are just figures.

Aside from cost I think the biggest issue with them right now is just software, not enough support or good games to justify them. Younger kids are easier in this regard so they still sell but for older gamers, we are like ehh these games just suck, what's the point?

Zalb33 likes this.
  5. Aaddron

Credit:
    Just announced today Disney is cancelling all Infinity development and will no longer self publish games. Really sucks for people who bought all them figures... however on the same coin if you've had your eye on any of them as collectibles or toys they may be getting a price cut soon.

6. Trumpets

Trumpets DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I use amiibo for games like splatoon

Snowy likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    Fast forward a year and this market is kinda dead. I hear Lego Dimensions is still doing OK but even Skylanders is struggling now. Amiibo continues to do well for Nintendo (as collectors items) but they are still vastly under utilized in games. Not sure what the future holds for this genre but it's not looking that good at the moment.

8. I'd like to call this an accessory more than a toy, but how about the PokeWalker that came with Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver? It's a pedometer, but also has a screen that you can interact with to do things like use the PokeRadar to find Pokemon and use the Dowsing feature to collect items which you can transfer to Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver. I've had a great time using this accessory to encourage myself to walk more and spend more time outside. I don't see a lot of people using it anymore (probably because it's an old accessory now), but I thought it was pretty fun to play with.

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    It was a pretty neat accessory, I wish I could've got a hold of one and the game. They are pretty expensive now on the 3rd party markets. :/ Kinda hoping Nintendo brings it back down the road with a smartphone app or something, along with of course working with the latest pokemon game at the time.

Snowy likes this.
  10. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Yeah I don't get what's up with games like Skylanders, I find it too much work going to the story to buy characters, when you could just buy it in the game itself smh.

11. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i didn't get into them but i know a channel that collects them

12. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I personally don't mind. It is, after all, a neat idea.

13. Stroik

Stroik Ogre Prince Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    My favorite toys are LEGOs and I still love them. It would be awesome if they made LEGO toys for my favorite games. I love that they are already doing it for some games.

14. I'll admit, the Nintendo Labo is a fun idea, even though it's mostly cardboard. I don't think there's too much appeal for the adult audience, but that the target audience is mainly children. Of the Nintendo Labo kits I've seen so far, I think the Nintendo Labo Piano is the best. I actually want to see music artists try to make songs out of it.