1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

PALADINS

Discussion in 'MMOFPS and Online Shooters' started by Mikasa Ackerman, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Mikasa Ackerman

Mikasa Ackerman MMORPG Addict The Pit

Credit:
    [​IMG]

About Paladins

Paladins is a first-person shooter video game developed by Hi-Rez Studios, the developers of the MOBA SMITE. The game is rooted in a colorful sci-fi fantasy setting featuring Champions, playable characters that have their own unique fire-function and skills. Combat in Paladins is also nearly entirely skillshot-based, meaning projectiles can be dodged. Although each champion has their own personality and abilities, to get around Paladins' maps, the real character variation comes from the Cards and Item Systems that augments a champion in different ways.

Closed beta phase began on November 17, 2015. The game officially went into open beta on September 16, 2016. The PC version of Paladins can be downloaded through the official website and also through Steam. The Founder's Pack can be obtained on the Paladins store. An Xbox One and Playstation 4 versions of the game entered their closed beta phases on March 14, 2017. Both of the console versions went into open beta on May 3, 2017. They can be acquired for free through their respective online stores: Microsoft Store, PlaySation Store (NA), PlayStation Store (EU).

Champions

Champions are the playable characters in Paladins. Each one has its own unique abilities and fighting style. Champions use Cards to increase their performance and enhance their skills.

Champions are organized into 4 different types: Front Line, Damage, Support and Flank.

Every champion possesses a unique weapon, 4 skills, and a special skill called Ultimate. Ultimate skills are not subject to cooldown, but instead have a meter that must be charged before they can be used. This meter passively gains a 1% charge every 3.33s but can be actively increased by dealing damage to enemies and restoring the missing health of allies. Landing a killing blow on an enemy with a high killstreak grants an additional 10% ultimate charge for each killstreak after the 5th. Using an ultimate will deplete the meter, allowing it to recharge.

[​IMG]

Items

Items (previously known as Burn cards) are special kinds of cards that all champions have access to via the in-match store. These items allow players to gain useful benefits such as bonus movement or reload speed. There are four types of items: Defense, Utility, Healing, and Attack.

Items can be purchased at the spawn rooms by pressing the item store key ("I" by default). Items are purchased with [​IMG]Credits.

A player can only have one item from each category at once. Each item can be upgraded up to two times, replacing the previous item with a stronger version of itself.

Cards

The Cards system in Paladins is one of the main features that sets the game apart from others in the genre. Cards offer players the ability to empower a Champions's attributes and enhance or modify their skills, tailoring them to a particular playstyle. Cards are equipped by champions 5 at a time in sets called loadouts.

All players start with the same 5 unlocked cards for each champion. These 5 cards are contained in a loadout called "Default Loadout" that cannot be modified or deleted. Additional cards can be obtained via crafting with [​IMG] Essence or unlocking through Radiant Chests.

Champions also have a special class of cards called Legendary Cards. All players start with the same unlocked Legendary card for each champion. Instead of being drafted into loadouts, these cards are separately selected at the start of the match alongside the loadout selection. Legendary cards provide stronger effects than normal cards, occasionally causing radical changes to the way a champion's skills work at the cost of some counterbalancing penalty.

Card Layout
    Rarity: The color of this gem indicates the card's rarity.
    Champion: This is the portrait of champion the card belongs to.
    Name: This is the card's name. If it's a champion card it will mention what tier it is.
    Skill/Card Type: This spot will either mention what skill the card affects. Cards that affect weapon shots are labeled "Weapon" while any other defensive card is labeled as "Armor".
    Description: This area explains what the card does.
    Rank: This number represents the card's rank and also how many points this card needs when used in a loadout.
    Cooldown: This is the amount of seconds a player has to wait before they can make use of this card's effect again. A "-" means that the card has no cooldown time.

[​IMG]

Maps

Maps are areas in the realm of Paladins where most of the fighting takes place.

There are several Maps, each one designed to be played with certain Game Modes in mind.

ugmsrocks09 and Snowy like this.
  2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Good to see you posting again:). Have you played?

3. Mikasa Ackerman

Credit:
    Yeah, it's very similar to Overwatch. :)

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Always enjoyed the quality you put into your posts :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. Mikasa Ackerman

Credit:
    <3

6. ifh101

ifh101 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    I downloaded this game last month because a lot of my friends played it. Felt like an exact overwatch copy. I still had fun playing it so I bought the Founder's pack just so I can experience every Champion. What's your favorite champion? I enjoyed playing Maldamba and Fernando a lot.

Snowy likes this.
  7. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's often described as a F2P Overwatch. However both games were in development at the same time so it seems that's just a coincidence.

8. ifh101

ifh101 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Hmm I heard Paladins was in development waaay before Overwatch? Oh well, I still like both of them equally.

9. Aaddron

Credit:
    It's possible, I'm just saying they were both in development at the same time.

10. Mikasa Ackerman

Credit:
    I don't know yet. I like damage champions. Cassie is nice.

11. valkangel

valkangel DA BIG CLUB Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    hiya guys ! I'm a huge paladins fan (some say it's an overwatch clone but it's not). I was wondering if there are other guys here who play paladins. what do you like about the game ? discuss.

12. Paladins is a fun game, perhaps better than SMITE. Being a shooter genre, Paladins has a stronger position in the shooter genre since every shooter feels unique in their own way. With SMITE, I felt like it had a harder time competing with other MOBAs, so I think it was nice that Hi-Rez chose to do Paladins. Unlike other shooters, I do like the toon-like art and the colors; it's very different than games such as Call of Duty and CS:GO.

13. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I haven't really gotten into these MOBA-like FPS games and Paladins is no exception. Well unless we are talking about PvZ GW, then the story is totally different.

14. LegendaryGriefer36

LegendaryGriefer36 Ogre Prince The Pit
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    The game has really good gameplay and graphics. Tried it but not addicted to it