1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What do you dislike about giving a speech presentation?

Discussion in 'Ogres Breakfast' started by Snowy, Jul 30, 2017.

1. We all had/have to do it at some point, and glossophobia isn't very uncommon in our world.

For me, some of what I dislike about giving a speech presentation are dressing up to look formal, looking at the audience when speaking, constantly doing gestures, and having to raise my voice for everyone to hear me. Perhaps dressing up is my least favorite part about giving a speech because it takes away my ego and confidence.

2. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I have only giving one proper speech in a form of presentation (if this counts) in vocational school about digiboxes and how they function, what they do etc.

I guess only thing that was quite nuisance (i am not really that social person) was to keep my cool and while giving the speech about presentation: looking at my classmates while also consecrating on my wording and giving examples to certain aspects of presentation while also doing gestures to help them visualize things better.

I was kinda proud how it went but my teacher kinda was upset that my presentation was too lengthy and i was giving too many examples and thus making most of information go over peoples heads because it was just too much to take in but hey it was my first proper presentation and i liked giving it after thinking about it after giving it.

I have mostly forgotten about context of presentation and i also lost materials that i had for it when i graduated when my student email access was removed because i kinda forgot to save them to my laptop and all that.

Snowy likes this.
  3. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    The worst part of any presentation I've ever had to give was having it recorded and then having to watch that recording. There was some sort of analysis of that I had to do but it was all-around unpleasant, so I've forgotten.

After that, the most annoying was related to appearance, as you've already mentioned, both dressing up for it and the fact that I think I look like an idiot during that sort of thing, gesturing and eye contact and such.

For the earliest presentations I did I was worried about the audience as well, since the people seeing it would clearly form impressions of me based on it and might judge me for it, and wouldn't let me live down mistakes. That was more down to the environment of junior high and the one year of high school I attended than anything else, though. In my undergrad years that pretty much evaporated, especially with the presentations leading up to and involving my senior thesis.

All that's changed yet again though, as one of my jobs I give planetarium shows. Half of that's just showing a feature, but the first half is me talking. I don't worry much about my appearance, since I'm in a dark room. I do have to focus on my projection, since the alternative is using a microphone which is not an idea I'm fond of (wanna hear yourself echo through a surround sound system? me either).
    It also helps that I have a huge hemisphere in the ceiling to serve as my visual aid, and after the first couple times of doing the same sort of intro it becomes significantly easier to redo.

Contrast that with times I need to give a lecture before doing a lab in the lab courses I teach, where it's never something I've had time to practice saying or writing on the board, it's never a good time. I like to avoid that where possible.

In general, practice helps the most with dealing with most issues that arise, but the most useful practice is practice that uses the same sort of set-up as the real thing.

4. Axoss

Axoss Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I don't like presenting but when I have two I have to and I try to do my best but I alway mess up when giving a presentation.

5. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    I disliked doing speech before since I am a type of a guy who's always shy in front of people. There was a day that we needed to deliver a speech in English class. So i prepared myself by talking to a mirror and i did it successfully, thanks to that speech i improved my self-confidence.

6. Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise Cold Heart The Pit

Credit:
    Hey! Doing speech isn't all that bad for me. And dressing up is exciting and thrilling :3
    what i dislike is the crowd's eyes. Well that's almost the essence of doing speech anyways so. Whatevers i guess. I laugh my hearts out after im done.

7. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I specifically dont like giving speeches... I get too nervous.. Dressing up formally is something i like doing though...

8. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I often give micro-speeches while I talk, so Oral Reports aren't that hard for me. I do get a little nervous, though.

9. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Is has to be the urge to first create the presentation lol. I'm not as motivated as my fellow peers, however, speaking is not too difficult for me, since I'm just naturally great at speaking in front of large audiences. Only con, is that if I have to speak for a long period, I would slowly start forgetting my lines and from there on I start turning red like a tomato on a warm Sunday evening. However, if I just stop and take a breath, I'm all good with continuing on speaking.

10. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i love it if i can wear my casual sweater

11. Zerozerozero

Zerozerozero Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I hate talking infront of a huge crowd, I can deal with it if I know most of the crowd though