1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Is it really worth buying and selling a new console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by ugmsrocks09, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I once bought a XboX 360 but now it's really rarely used and I only bought it for a couple of years now the game console is really not worth it. :( Is it really worth buying consoles over and over??

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Well if you bought a 360 a couple years ago then you bought it at the end or possibly even after the end of it's life cycle. It's not getting the latest titles any more. If you want them then a 360 is not an option at this point, it had it's 8 year run of getting all the new releases and is now 12 years old. It's got a huge library of games but if you don't wanna play or have already played them then yea it's gonna be pretty useless at this point, but again it's a 12 year old console.

Is it worth following consoles in general? For some people, yes. For others, no. I don't agree with this idea your "buying consoles over and over". New games eventually need new hardware. Pretty much anything technology based you will lead to upgrades at some point. Based on successors release OG Xbox lasted 4 years, 360 lasted 8 and Xbox One is in year 4 now. That's only 3 upgrades in 16 years. If they stick to that, I don't think it's excessive at all.

Some people prefer consoles, some prefer PC, nothing wrong with either model. Ultimately go with the platforms that have the games you wanna play.

3. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    I see your point in why new consoles must come out. You may have changed my mind on this concept. New consoles mean new applicabilities which can bring further games into success like Elderscrolls 6. I didn't know XBOX 360 was that old I bought it just like 5-4 years ago and now it's deceased lol. But hey, I'm looking forward to the new XBOX or PS4 :)

4. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Exactly. It gets to the point the hardware is holding back development. Both Playstation and Xbox tried something different this gen and released mid-gen refreshes. PS4 Pro came out last year and Xbox One X will come out later this fall. Both maintain complete compatibility with their OG consoles tho, so PS4 and Xbox One will still get all games released until they are replaced down the road... it's just the Pro and 1X models will run all the games better. What they mean for the future of consoles... I'm not sure.

Imperial Jenkins and Kingdomcome like this.
  5. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    It depends entirely on your commitment to play console games even if they are last gen or older consoles but you just don't want to let them go. I still have my PS2s and PS3 and i am not planning to buy PS4 anytime soon because games on those consoles just matter that much to me and i am not really a gamer that follows latest trends all the time.

I really like to stick with my old games and not move on that fast from them because for me their entertainment value stays quite same after buying a game and few years pass and i still feel that playing that game is enjoyable.

Cyperior and Soricale like this.
  6. Kingdomcome

Kingdomcome Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    It is, if you're into new stuff and tech.

Cyperior likes this.
  7. Soricale

Soricale Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I suggest just waiting till it's nearly over used before buying.

8. Cyperior

Cyperior Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    well if you don't got that money no. Just wait till it's cheap on the holidays. I agree with what soricale said.

firefighter123 likes this.
  9. firefighter123

firefighter123 Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Yeah, it's a question that always come up to me on the holidays haha

Imperial Jenkins likes this.
  10. Lannister

Lannister MMORPGer New Ogre

Credit:
    Well it depends, are you the type to really be so excited for a new piece of machine that only last for a couple of years or so? If so, then go for it my lad.

11. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Well if you bought a brand new console and tried selling it for a high price where there's limited stock (scalping), then I wouldn't really do that because it does make buyers online go nuts. But since you're talking about an Xbox 360 that you rarely use and it's a pretty old console, then I think it's worth selling it, especially if you've moved onto newer consoles like an Xbox One. If the console has meaning to you, or you plan to use it again, then you might want to keep it.

12. Imperial Jenkins

Imperial Jenkins Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Well most likely yes, I do it often trying my old consoles for new

13. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i'd keep them they're not sold high and maybe someone in the future will want to play

14. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I don't think it's worth selling it especially if you have a large sum of games, you should keep it maybe your future kid will play on it.

15. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    Well if you have games digitally downloaded on a console, then it probably won't be worth selling the console, but if you have games that have backwards-compatibility on newer consoles, then I believe it would be worth it. For instance, it's probably worth it to sell a DS or a DSi for a 3DS since you get better hardware than can support older games and newer games.