1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Is MMORPG dying?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Bola_bola, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Bola_bola

Bola_bola Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    Just wanted your opinion here. Most of the time I go to computer shops for quick stops just to see the thriving youth of gaming, all people there were playing MOBA or FPS( CS:GO or PUBG) whereas back in my good ol' days, MMORPG were the talk and walk. People were always thrilled guild clashes on different known MMORPGs were the pinnacle of gaming. But now, all I see in those shops were entirely different. I asked some of the well respected persons on those shops and they share the same outlook on things. All they say is that we change as the generation progresses.

as what you have seen in the title, do you think MMORPG is dying or I haven't seen the whole thing?

2. I think the MMORPG genre is continuing to thrive with PvP as one of the main parts of the game and story, quests, dungeons, etc. as the other part. Games like World of Warcraft are quite popular still, though other genres do gain a lot of popularity. I don't think MMORPGs are dying and they probably won't, because players still play them and they have their own preference.

Bola_bola likes this.
  3. Bola_bola

Credit:

Good point.. Maybe I am not having a wide perspective about this. I had this feeling of finding good content in MMORPG. any suggestions?

4. I would delve into searching for specific genres of MMOs, features, release dates/years, and content to find the MMO that's most interesting to you. There are a vast variety of MMOs out there, so you're likely to find some good ones.

5. Bola_bola

Credit:
    Thanks man :), I would research as well.

6. Jeric dion

Jeric dion DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Thanks man! But MMORPG never dies ;)

7. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    No I on't believe so, because there are plenty of different mmorpgs out right now!

Bola_bola likes this.
  8. Bola_bola

Credit:
    Yeah, I believe so but I dunno. I'm finding a MMORPG that has something unique. Most MMORPGs are similar in most cases.

9. Jerwin

Jerwin Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    No! MMORPG never dies lol

Bola_bola likes this.
  10. Nhecole

Nhecole Princess of Ogre Ogre Veteran
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    No, MMORPG is the best type of game that's why many developer picks MMORPG game.
    Also , RPG and MOBAs.

11. Drake_Green

Drake_Green Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    MMORPG will never die it will always find a way to live on, in whatever form it may take

12. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I don't know if mmo the genre is dying but I think browser mmos are getting replaced by mobile mmos.

13. IvanBooster

IvanBooster Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I dont think its dying, but it definitely lost its popularity

14. Well, there are endless possibilities of what the new golden age of MMORPGs could be like. Virtual reality could change the immersion of MMORPGs with more realism, mobile and console could change how we play and where we play MMORPGs, and HTML5 could revolutionize how MMORPGs are played on browsers.

Well, a lot of browser MMOs are moving to mobile, not necessarily getting replaced by mobile. Some will still be playable on a computer somehow, perhaps through a web client, through a browser using HTML5, or perhaps on Steam. Flash MMORPGs particularly are in the decision-making of switching over, and some games have simply died off thinking switching isn't worth it.

15. Orkun

Orkun Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    it's not dying but it's not that popular anymore

16. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I wouldn't say that the whole genre is dying, but more MMORPGs are moving to mobile due to popularity of mobile gaming.

17. Not necessarily. The MMORPGs that are moving to mobile are mostly browser-based MMORPGs like Runescape and AQWorlds, and that's mostly because browser-based games are losing interest, especially as browsers phase out certain softwares like Adobe Flash. Some mobile MMORPGs are brand new like Albion Online. Games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars II are still quite popular and they haven't switched to other platforms. Limitations also plays a factor since PCs tend to be more powerful than phones, so people shouldn't really expect MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars II to move to mobile.

I would say propagate is a better term to describe the state of MMORPGs, even games in general. Games in general are being spread out more, so there's more genre and games to pick from.

18. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    no..i dont think MMORPG is dying....it wont die soon

19. Rueness

Rueness Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Theres just more options and game types. But mmorpg still is where people go back to. And most in depth gamers tend to flock towards mmorpg.

20. subeJ

subeJ The Perfect Recipe Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Definitely not dying. There are even more mmorpgs now than before.