1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think MMOs have reached their peak as a source of entertainment?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Supernatural, Sep 9, 2012.

Do you think MMOs have reached their peak as a source of entertainment?

1. Yes, what we see now is about the extent of it

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No, I think there's more to be seen

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Fabhrach

Fabhrach Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    This is a really interesting question.

Yes and no. Older games, like AQW which just turned 9, have given us their best and are just updating to keep the fans around. A lot of them do this eventually. But there are new games coming out all the time, and they're getting creative with how they handle the traditional storyline and quest chains. I think as long as games keep evolving they'll remain popular and enjoyable.

2. Vanderion

Vanderion Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Games WILL keep evolving, so long as we have a rich imagination.

3. fallenCrest

fallenCrest Big Bad Ogre The Pit
    1. Gaming Community

Credit:
    With the new developments and introduction of VR, I most definitely think we haven't seen all they have to offer.

4. Izraphel

Izraphel Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    There will definitely come something new that will change mmos a bit attracting players once again!!

5. Blasphy

Blasphy Emperor Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    No. I would say MMOs is still the tip of an iceberg, surely it will improve more in the future maybe it has a limitless potential.

6. Kail11

Kail11 Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    I think it really comes down to the age of the player.

7. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I heard there are developers already working on developing a VR mmo. With Virtual Reality I think there's still stuff left to be seen.

8. Kesstryl

Kesstryl BamBam

Credit:
    I think with all the cookie cutter MMOs, too much grind without the feeling of time well spent, and some of the blantant pay to win freemium models that have crept in, we are definitely at a plateau. I'm not looking for anything new on the horizon anymore, and I'm personally burnt out from grinding my way through a new shiny MMO. In the end, they're all just re-skins of the same formula, and the more they make you grind just to keep you playing, the less I actually want to play.

9. Well with higher quality MMOs, that comes at a greater cost. Higher quality MMOs typically cost a lot more, and there's not much to help that other than to have freemium models and other payment models. To compete with other MMOs, newer games have to step in with higher quality. Some people like paying for higher quality MMOs, but others don't, and that's perfectly fine since there are plenty of MMOs everywhere.