1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

New facebook game, need coders...

Discussion in 'Social Games' started by Rycochet, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rycochet

Rycochet Ogre Newling

Credit:
    At it's most basic - got about half a plan for a facebook isometric RPG (not unlike Angband / Nethack etc), using a php + mysql backend and html5 + javascript frontend.

I need to get help with coding it - and filling out the coding ideas... Graphics would also be nice, but happy to start with the gameplay and public domain angband style graphics.

About me
    Long time coder, used to do a lot on the Amiga (rc-ftpd and stackattack2 are my best known). Then done a lot of web development (nothing I can really mention). Currently only coding a greasemonkey autoplayer script for Castle Age on facebook (Rycochet's Castle Age Golem on Userscripts if anyone's interested).

Development plan
    Code the thing publicly to start at least. Use jQuery and jQueryUI for "shortcut" coding on the client side - at least until the gui is sorted out properly. Keep the code as public as possible (only keeping stuff private that's licensed otherwise), probably using either Google Code or Github.

Game Plan
    Free to play (I've got hosting etc anyway), with optional extras that can be bought to defray hosting costs on it (at the very least if it takes off I'm not wanting to be out of pocket for extra bandwidth).
    Fully Ajax driven GUI, only one page ever loaded with everything else being in html "windows" in it.

Game Design
    No large friends list needed, though benefit to having other friends playing (ie, hire npc or friends, and friends will always be able to get higher level etc)
    Isometric map and dungeon.
    No energy / stamina / etc for playing, simple event driven "1 movement per 2 secs" or similar - if someone wants to waste 8 hours of work time playing, then good for them ;-)
    Any real money spent will save playing time or "item hunting" - don't like the idea of unique items too much.
    Fully mmo world, though dungeons etc will (could?) be instanced.
    Random / fractal generated map and dungeons so it can grow with population size.
    Scripted and generated quests as well as basic dungeon crawling.

Remuneration (ie, pay)
    Nothing... Until and unless it starts making money (though that's not the purpose) when it'll be shared pro-rata among coders / gfx artists / etc after hosting costs.

Needed
    Coders who know (or can easily learn) PHP, CSS and Javascript.
    Feedback and ideas from people who'd like to play it ;-)

2. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i would love to help!! but im going for 2 weeks will i be able to help then?

3. Rycochet

Rycochet Ogre Newling

Credit:
    I'll take anyone who'd like to help - part of the reason I'm wanting to make it public source (not public domain or open source so it doesn't get cloned like a certain facebook company is known to do).

I'm going to be moving house in about two months anyway, where my net connection will go down to mobile internet - so it's going to be my low-bandwidth hobby :p

4. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
  5. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I know php, css, html and javascript, but I don't use jquery and never have, though I have a jquery .js file downloaded on my comp, I have not gotten around using it yet. I naturally assume you also want to use ajax. Also I don't do dungeons and I stay away from any facebook game, let alone facebook as a whole. So it looks like I will not be helping you on this one. I have neither the hardware for it, nor the interest in it.

I do however wish you good luck on this venture.

6. Rycochet

Rycochet Ogre Newling

Credit:
    jQuery is very useful for a lot of stuff including animations and events, as well as having an extra UI layer if needed for giving widgets - so it does save a lot of development time to get basic stuff up ;-)

The reason I'm using facebook is to get more people to play it - it's also going to be playable outside of facebook as I don't want to force anyone to use that site just to play a game.

I've now found suitable public domain graphics for it, so just got a lot of thinking and planning to do before starting to put together any actual code :p

7. MMOWiz

MMOWiz Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    i would like to play it.

8. shugo

shugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I see you already got 1 player and you haven't finished the game yet. Now that's a good start. I'll bet it will go well once it's finished. Perhaps it will become as big as farmville.

9. Krasimir

Krasimir BamBam

Credit:
    I also can help you with some ideas. Will be glad to be a part of your game :)

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    Moved to the new social game forum:).

11. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Have you made any progress? I would love to learn how to code to help:D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.