1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Future of Nintendo

Discussion in 'Video Games and Consoles' started by Crownknight, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    So, I was thinking about Nintendo last night. I was wondering... "What's going to happen to them, anyway?" I thought that, since the Nintendo Switch was such a big advance... well, what next? Share your thoughts.

I think that Nintendo is probably going to try and upgrade even more. What do you think?

2. Aaddron

Aaddron Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    I think the next year or two will be all about the games, they will continue to push out all their major IP and hopefully mix in some new stuff too. Switch just needs to keep getting a steady diet of new Nintendo releases. I think maybe a year, two years or so we'll see a Switch revision, they've done this a lot with previous handhelds so it makes sense... the only question mark is they really haven't for home consoles so maybe they won't... but since it's their sole hardware right now I leaning towards they will go the revision route.

I think we could see more compact handheld focused Switch, it'd also probably be cheaper... possibly filling the 3DS price area. I'm not sure we'll see a bigger one given its current size already. Like I said, a "NEW Switch" seems likely, something that's not a new gen but with somewhat of a hardware boost, I actually hope they don't because I feel like it was a massive flop (in terms of support) on the 3DS side and just angered people with games they couldn't play on their existing hardware.

Maybe a new model with bigger internal memory? Seems possible. Of course, this is all just speculation and Nintendo being Nintendo it's really anyone's guess. How they'll handle Switch's future and what they'll do after... whew, I mean it could literally be anything. It's one of the things that makes Nintendo great. Really glad Switch is doing well so they have the funding to keep doing what they do, can't wait to see what's next.

CanineAQ3D likes this.
  3. Crownknight

Crownknight Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    Yeah, probably. That's typically what happens. I mean, the NES really didn't DIE until around 1993. I say this because Kirby's Adventure, a "kinda" famous game, was released for the NES, not SNES, that year. Logic would dictate that the Switch would probably live on the shelves until around the mid 2020's; games would probably still be coming out, too.
    I could definitely see this happening... IF Nintendo is to cope with the lost revenue. A 3DS price range would mean consumers would be rapid fire buying that particular console, let's say it's called the Switch Mini. The Switch Mini would need to stick to the Switch name... how would it do that? By... compressing and expanding, I guess. That is some new-age technology right there. Where would they find a window where they could make it Switchy and 3DSy? It would also have to have UNIQUE games. That would also mean not only spending money on making the product but also having to put out games that worked on it.
    I can see a slogan there, "The iphone 10 of consoles!" Haha. They, this way, could maybe improve the graphics, too. I'd love to see a "smart" console. Something similar to the revolution of the NES. Remember playing SMB? It was amazing, all of that gameplay in a gray cube. Not really much else to say on that topic in particular.
    I hope the Switch keeps doing good. It would be a shame if someone at Nintendo messed it up or something. I hope we don't have a repeat of the of the Virtual Boy or the Wii U.

Aaddron likes this.
  4. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    You've perfectly summed it up here, nothing more needs to be said, hehe. Seriously, I agree the whole thing where you have to get a new 3DS because certain games don't work is shady, but overall, nintendo doesn't do us dirty.

Aaddron likes this.
  5. Snowy

Snowy Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre
    1. Video Game Spotlight of the Month: SAND LAND
    2. Gaming Community

Credit:
    I think they have a strong future ahead, especially if they keep up the hybrid-console line. Nintendo's trend seems to favor handheld consoles; it used to be home consoles dominating the market until the Game Boy, and it's mainly been handheld consoles keeping them afloat. You'd probably think that phones are going to compete against a company like Nintendo, but a lot of parents are skeptical about giving their kids smartphones and phone games are a whole different ball game (different style, different way of playing, etc.).

I think there are a few things that are keeping them from reaching certain demographics. First one being Joy-Con drift, but it probably doesn't affect the demographics that much as it affects Nintendo. Second one being lack of features which is probably the biggest one; for instance, I think it's ridiculous to have people install an app on a mobile device, and not even an option to install an app for PC instead or on the Switch itself.

And people seem to have a lot of hopes up for a new, more powerful Switch, even though there was a revision like a year and a half ago. I think instead of a "Switch Pro", they should be preparing for the next generation like a "Switch 2".