1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

To Grind or Not to Grind?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ogreman, Aug 3, 2011.

Should grinding still be in MMORPGs?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Every games needs some type of progression. Even Facebook games have grinding to improve.

2. kashiegamer

kashiegamer MMORPGer

Credit:
    I don't like grinding if it is the center of an MMO's gameplay. However, i like the fulfillment of grinding(hunting) mobs for hours to get ingredients/components for my crafts (which is pretty much the feature that made monster hunter famouse). Going back to topic, quests should be quests--not grind. I believe that MMO's should be story-driven and that each quest is unique--it doesn't mean that an MMO should have numerous unique quests (almost impossible to do), but rather, take long quest arcs seen in single player game. Grind should remain for the hunt (no items should come from a quest/npc unless it's a unique item, and no item should ever be sold at the item shop without unbalancing the game). Also, daily quests could be considered a grind quest, and I'm okay with that (daily quests are repeatable quests--and repetition is synonymous with grind).

3. awesomedrako

awesomedrako Clubbed

Credit:
    Grinding, like quinn said, is useful for letting devs fill up players' time rather than have to write more content.
    Also, in some circumstances, when a social aspect is involved, I think, then grinding can be fun, and even cross the border into addicting, which is why there are often horror stories of people who give up their lives to raid dungeons in WoW over and over.

The thing is, how could you replace this with something that gives the same amount of game time, but isn't as unnecessarily repetitive? I believe the answer is going to be in procedural content, and I'm pretty sure some MMORPGs already employ a weaker version of this in some dungeons. In fact, there are some indie MMORPGs that are built around procedural content, such as Love MMO, and even Minecraft with the right mods :p

4. funnygamer

funnygamer Clubbed

Credit:
    I voted yes. Grinding isn't necessarily bad. What is bad is if it's excessive. And I don't think grinding is the only thing that's bad when in excess, right? The right amount of grind is good to keep players entertained for a decent amount of time and to extend the playing hours so that developers need not develop new content every week.

5. zacker150

zacker150 DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    legend has it that runescape is going to address the grinding issue after they finish the bot nuke

6. Drama

Drama Clubbed with The Big Club

Credit:
    its a rumor that a jmod stated in a quote. He wants to revamp every skill from what I can tell. I believe it is Mod Paul (he hosts almost all of the videos if you have seen them).

Every update is becoming worse overtime though.
    RuneScape Forums are having far more complaints than normal.
    The botters' accounts are still there and received no punishment.
    I dunno how long this will last really.

7. PortalCut

PortalCut Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    There's a good grind, and there's a bad grind.

The bad grind is going to be like killing the same stuff or doing the same thing over and over again. The monotony is devastating.

A good grind is doing something, but you feel tangible results and it's not monotonous. It's kinda like Diablo or something, where when you kill loads of stuff, you get loads of items and you pick and choose which ones you will keep. That's kinda the reason why I'm playing Mythos right now. The old EU one wasn't good, but the new one is great. It's currently on CBT right now, so I'm taking it easy.

8. Webber

Webber Ogre King Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I agree with Portal Cut. No grinding is not good because how do you accomplish anything worthwhile without it?

9. Chanceux

Chanceux Big Brute The Pit

Credit:
    I disagree with PortalCut :)

If I understood well grinding for you is some kind of barometer of the evolving of your character isn't it? and in the same time you make xp, find stuff, gold.... but shouldn't it be cleverest ways to do all that? Your barometer need hours in the same place with the same monsters. There is benefits for the char (xp, stuff, gold...) but not for the player

10. Joker

Joker Ogre Hall of Fame Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I hate grinding:(

11. sasuke2490

sasuke2490 Clubbed

Credit:
    it takes out alot of time that the developers probally use that time they get to make new patches etc... or to fill in a void so you don't go up 30 levels and kill the boss in a day.

12. Plague

Plague DA BIG CLUB The Pit

Credit:
    Its not that bad lol. It keeps players playing

13. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    On a game I play botting is a big issue, the game requires you to grind a lot to get the best items or rank up factions. That's my only problem with grinding is that people will turn towards bots to do the work for them because they don't want to do it themselves or don't have the time.

14. Yes and no. Repetitive grinding shouldn't be something players have to do, but I do think there should still be grinding that isn't repetitive with a lot more variety and objectives.

15. ugmsrocks09

ugmsrocks09 Ogre Extraordinaire Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    Grinding, mainly because the game will be boring if you just rush through objectives.

16. StormJayne

StormJayne Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    if there's no grinding..
    well that's a PAY TO WIN game you are playing...

pertaining on grinding GOLD or any game currency btw. cheers.`

[​IMG]

17. paulhar1s50n

paulhar1s50n Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I prefer quest than grinding bazillion monsters. It gets boring when all you have to do is grind. At least with questing, you will also get to know the story of the game.

18. Drake_Green

Drake_Green Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Well... I think that for some MMORPG grinding is a feature, to some its a technique, overall its an advantage that is very much abused. But sometimes the game requires you to grind on cases that you need to reached a certain level before entering a certain place or dungeon and there's not much choice

19. Taliehoe

Taliehoe Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    I think grinds are important. They give you a sense of accomplishment when you finally get the thing you have been grinding for or when you hit that max level. without that challenge the games tend to be too easy and its boring

20. Straw

Straw Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Grind is good, not the best though, you dont have to extremely grind all day. Lol that is so boring