1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Cleaning

Discussion in 'Forum and Site Support' started by ogreman, Sep 22, 2016.

1. p

p Moderator Staff Member GameOgre Moderator

Credit:
    Social Games and Free Games are 99.9% random flash games from a few different sites with no real indication of why something goes in one or the other, plus some mobile games that went there instead of Mobile Online Games.... predominantly because of where the event gave the poster more points at the time. If we can resolve that through this somehow as well that would be splendid.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    What about Browser? Free Games is going to be built up better than it is now because going to focus on it

Not looking for flash games on arcade sites. Looking for like free games on Steam or small games that offer a download of their games etc. Spelunky Classic would be an example of what we need there. One Troll Army is another.

Will have to look into Mobile and Social further before saying more on those. However, would not be opposed to putting all of them under Free Games if they are not serving a purpose being alone. Want to make a free games into one of the bigger forums.

3. p

Credit:
    Having a repository of flash arcade game threads doesn't appeal to me no matter where they are, but that does serve the need to clear free games for what is intended. Browser Games has thus far escaped that, due to the existence of things like AdventureQuest and DragonFable, and other well-known browser games over the years, even browser mmos that lacked a forum of their own but felt more at home there than in MMORPG/Free MMORPG. And the lack of event incentive. I try not to pick on that.

What I meant was that Free and Social are both jointly acting as said repository of flash arcade games. For instance:
    ws tetris - Social
    We are the robots 2 - Free
    There are much better examples in those forums of what we want (osu!, Criminal case) where even if they aren't always great threads, they cover the right material.

Basically just that if we separate wheat from chaff in Free, we have to do the same thing in Social and make it clear to event participants that we'd like to steer them in a different direction. Other people do post there, but obviously the events are centers of activity. Activity is good, but good activity is better. To be honest

Since we're on the topic of the Free Games forum and shuffling stuff possibly under it, I would like to see Indie Games moved out of Free Games. Terraria, Minecraft, FTL, and countless others should amply demonstrate that.

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Flash games on arcade sites should not really be anywhere except possibly Ogre Arcade:). We have those games ourselves on the forum and the blog. That is not what I mean by free games.

I guess helping them find better free games is the only answer I can think of. Maybe a sticky post in the forums that need it saying no flash games. Then if they continue that, just delete them and they wont get any points for them. I will make note of it in the event too.

Free Games are not going to stop being an Event incentive especially if that is the name of the current Event:). It can be done better than it has been obviously, but it will not stop.

For Social Games, we could take out the social aspects and then just move it under Free Games. May just add the social to videos (Youtube and Twitch) since we do need a good place for that and the new video directory is terrible about threads compared to the free VB one. Yes, Social Games would then be removed from the Event:).

I am surprised you didnt say that one sooner lol. Can't say it helps anything since Indie Games was not doing good by itself, but I was expecting it:). Could put it back under Budget I guess especially if we move the others under Free.

5. p

Credit:
    To be honest I didn't even notice where Indie was hiding until I was looking in Free for threads. I agree it's had a hard time, but then a lot of Indie gems tend to be given their own forum (in time, anyway, looking at you Terraria) or have relatively short lifespans. It's just not an area that gets huge industry hype, almost by definition, which makes long-term discussion for games without staying power hard. Still doesn't really justify a full forum of its own though, I agree.

Social might be best strictly renamed to Social Network Games, because despite sounding super stiff that is after all what we mean. If you want to take it in a different direction though that's okay too. I know I don't hear about them nearly as much any more.

I certainly don't want to remove incentives for Free Games, I just meant that's why certain threads were going to this location or that location: threads go where people can get more event points from them. That tends to bring more activities to spotlit areas than others.

6. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yea, it was actually under Budget with Free. Guess it could return there unless you know of a better place.

Think somebody can help themselves by doing Free the right way for this Event. Think we had free games before and flash arcade games was all it got lol. Definitely dont want a repeat of that.

In fact, could list Brawlhalla under free games:). Battlerite may be another when it launches.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Making a sub forum for Bundles in Budget. Think most new forums will start as sub forums to see how they do. The best ones could get their own forum.

8. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Aaddron suggested a great final template for those forums so going to try to do that:).

9. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    The cleaning will be removing soon:). One of the hard parts will be combining the two big MMORPG forums because it will make a ton of sub forums.

10. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    We added an Aq3D Forum and it is doing great:).

Next may be a forum for fighting games only.

subeJ likes this.
  11. Benthe13th

Benthe13th Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    This is a good Idea since not all foums here have replies and it's better in a way that all similar forums grouped together so you can find what your looking for easily :D :D :D

12. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    the site organization is going so well, gj guys

13. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Had another cleaning session and added one new forum:).

Battle Royales

14. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Need to bulk up the new Battle Royal forum now:).

15. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Considering having just one forum for MMOs in the future. Not sure of the all the details yet but could combine at least Free MMORPG, MMORPG, and MOBAs into one forum as a possibility.