1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

What characteristics of an MMORPG do you look at most? Poll

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Supernatural, Dec 25, 2011.

What characteristics of an MMORPG do you look at most?

1. Based on strong franchise (movie, book, sequel)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Level of character customization

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Number/originality of classes/races available

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Game play and time to start having fun

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  5. Amount of 'down time' in game

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Hype (through friends and internet community)

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LaughingCoffin

LaughingCoffin Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran
    1. The Lions Council

Credit:
    Something fun and not boring :/

2. Amethystlock

Amethystlock Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    something with protagonist backstory and characters to live with

3. The two characteristics that I like about an MMORPG are the story (gameplay) and the art (level of character customization). I like to enjoy a fun, thrilling story and be able to customize my character however I like; I think they're the most essential features for a successful MMORPG, though everything on the poll is essential for a successful MMORPG.

4. Deku1

Deku1 Elite Ogre Ogre Warrior

Credit:
    all of them...

5. a

a Ogre Queen Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    all are important. but i had to pick one among the options, it would be level of character customization

Maelious likes this.
  6. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    agreed :)

7. Rex

Rex Ogre Legend Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    I'd say the gameplay and hype surrounding it. Usually a mmo for me is more fun if the community and staff of that game is more involved, when both of that is gone the mmo becomes not as enjoyable

8. CanineAQ3D

CanineAQ3D Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I don't care how well polished something is, if a game isn't fun or there's no actual incentive for you to progress, why should I play it? And it doesn't have to be crazily well made, just a decent mechanic to hold the players interest. An example would be super mario 2 the lost levels. With that game, every time you get lucky and somehow get passed a level you never thought possible, you want to see what's next! That makes for some pretty addictive gameplay, even if it's a simple game.

9. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Games with PvP, GvG, active members, events, active devs, active development, weekly releases

10. Vanderion

Vanderion Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    Three things define a game for me:
    1. Story. A well defined story with many plots and interesting characters keep me progressing for more.
    2. Art. Breath taking scenery, well designed characters are all well and good. Who doesn't like eye candy?
    3. Gameplay. It has to be engaging but at the same time not to complicated.

11. SmileBoy

SmileBoy BamBam

Credit:
    Voted for 2, 3 and 4. I love the way of classes variety like it is implemented in Lineage Classic (31 unique classes), like the synergy between classes.

12. ogreswish

ogreswish Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Gems are found among titles that are far beyond their point of hype. Classic Lineage launched fairly late, it is a result of so many updates and experiments with balance in the original game. This is what make the game so smooth now and attracts both veterans and new players.

13. SmileBoy

SmileBoy BamBam

Credit:
    I agree. Although Lineage Classic doesn't have a lot of possibilities for character customization, gameplay is very addictive.

14. Raffiel

Raffiel Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Game play needs to be captivating enough to drag its audience into its narration.

15. Metaqrion

Metaqrion Elite Ogre The Pit

Credit:
    Actually... I would say all of them but lore comes first.

16. It's one of the things that makes an MMORPG unique, the other being the art. When thinking about lore, it's analogous to the millions of ways to tell a story. You can be as creative as you want and generate plots that are completely different from other MMORPGs. Other MMORPGs could try to copy a story from another MMORPG, but it would have to be in the style of parody at least (otherwise it would be plagiarism, and no MMORPG would want to do that).

But for other features like guild systems, PvP, etc., so many MMORPGs already have those characteristics that they don't really shine as much because many other MMORPGs borrow those ideas, and in successful MMORPGs where there might be unique features, there will always be imitators that will implement a similar feature. There's never really a "groundbreaking" feature that defines a common purpose for playing any one particular MMORPG, because there will always be that feeling of "sameness" when you play one MMORPG that has a similar feature to another MMORPG.

17. Sepherus96

Sepherus96 Big Brute New Ogre

Credit:
    I like looting and looking unique

18. Ophidius

Ophidius Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I look for a lot of different things. Community/player base is important, otherwise your game may die under your fingers.
    In game, I like to see variety of playable characters/classes, always keeping an eye out for a game with real healers (hard to on mobile).
    Also, how big a game world is that is important that way i can get some different scenery.

19. Honestly, I think content is more important. Community can only last for a finite amount of time since people come and go, and sometimes you just want to leave for a while or play intermittently because there's nothing else to enjoy about a game that just heavily relies on community. What good is a video game without content that lasts? Once you're done with the content, people just stand and chat (sometimes speculate, or make up random conversations), and it's oftentimes boring. I think there's more appeal with communities on places like Discord than inside the games, because sometimes the topics are more broad.

20. Ophidius

Ophidius Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I dont want the game to rely on community, but I want the community of the game to be a positive place. A place where people help each other, where they dont bash noobs or people with different ideas. Some of the best times I've had in games is talking with and meeting new people all while we have a common goal bringing us together.