1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Blizzard should start a new MMO?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Maelious, May 26, 2018.

1. Maelious

Maelious Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    ... perhaps based on the world of Diablo?

I would love/play that ...

2. Sabugo

Sabugo Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Sounds good, bud

3. NaMjOoN

NaMjOoN Club Swinger New Ogre

Credit:
    why make a new game when there's so much to fix in WoW

4. Aerobous

Aerobous Elite Ogre Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    Theres no need. They all need to remastered the warcraft . And it is coming rn warcraft 3 reforged! Dream come truelol

5. ogreswish

ogreswish Little Spike New Ogre

Credit:
    Remaster/classic is probably the way for them. No way they drop their goat game-service, and even the remaster would somehow split the playerbase, they're doing it just because there are some other examples of companies doing remasters of their MMOs like Lineage 2 Classic or BDO remaster.

6. SmileBoy

SmileBoy BamBam

Credit:
    Usually you can't reinvent the wheel. BDO didn't make it ;( Even remastered. Alhought, Lineage Classic do.

7. Mango1212

Mango1212 BamBam

Credit:
    They need a new mmo that’s crazy good.!!!

8. Heromanguy12

Heromanguy12 Ogre Hall of Fame Royal Ogre

Credit:
    I don't think they should. They should just keep WoW going instead.

9. I don't see a reason to, when they already have World of Warcraft and that game is still running, unless they want to cater to a new audience. But we already know the fiasco Blizzard faced when they release games like Diablo Immortal to appeal to a new audience, so it probably wouldn't be a wise idea.

And besides, a game company releasing two MMORPGs wouldn't be a smart idea anyway. People will start making arguments of which MMORPG is better, and it would make Blizzard seem like they're competing with themselves, and that doesn't help them increase their marketability. You have to also consider that many players that do play MMORPGs dedicate themselves to playing just one MMORPG, so it's not as likely for a lot of players that do play WoW to play any other MMORPG that Blizzard decides to make.

To make it clear, the real reason to make a new MMORPG would be to have a successor.

10. Ophidius

Ophidius Spiked Club Ogre Regular

Credit:
    I have never gotten into WOW. But if they made a World Of Diablo I would jump on in a heartbeat. I dont think they would be competing with themselves, they would just be appealing to a large audience. They have statcraft and warcraft, two rts games, nobody says they are competing with themsel6for that.

11. I don't think it would happen, especially with the backlash of Diablo Immortal a couple of years ago. People generally prefer games to stay true with how they've always been. And it would be a competition with World of Warcraft, because you're titling it "World of ...", and there's already a substantial amount of World of Warcraft players that do play other Blizzard games, so it just wouldn't seem ideal.

12. Ophidius

Credit:
    Does Acti-Blizzard do anything ideal anymore? It doesn't have to be called "world of diablo". I think at this point anything is possible coming out of that company. I think the true spirit of the diablo franchise left with the creators. They will do whatever they can to make a buck. Regardless, If it was a decent mmo and it had some familiar diablo characters, I would gladly try it out.

13. I think venturing into new genres would be better than trying to go back to the MMORPG market for Blizzard. They have WoW as their most successful MMORPG, Diablo as their most successful action RPG, Hearthstone as their most successful card game, and Overwatch as their most successful shooter game. I really don't understand why anyone should expect Blizzard to create another MMORPG. If they really wanted to make a buck and be more successful, they would probably focus on a mainstream genre like battle royale.

14. Ophidius

Credit:
    Yea, they have RTS and MOBA covered as well. But if the go so mainstream then Blizzaed will have truly lost everything that makes them Blizzard. So many good memories as a kid playing those games. Guess I just need to get over it and let them go.

Edit: Them as in blizzard, not the memories, for clarity.

15. Except that they've always been mainstream, and that's what has always characterized Blizzard. When they jumped to the MMORPG genre with World of Warcraft, they created a pop culture of their own; many subsequent game companies followed their footsteps and tried becoming what Blizzard became, because of Blizzard's huge influence. Blizzard had their own books, merchandises, and everything, so going mainstream really did define who they were.

The whole point of Blizzard has, for the most part, been about revolutionizing what a game could truly be. They jump to a rising trend, capitalize on it with their brand, revolutionize it with new ideas, and become successful.

16. Ophidius

Credit:
    I agree and disagree. I agree that they have revolutionized their games and the gaming industry as a whole. They are mainstream but not in the traditional sense. They make a game, and they do it so well, and it becomes mainstream. They are (use to be) so good at making lore, books and merchandise that it turns a game into a culture of it's own. So they make what they maid mainstream, they have never followed the latest trend and 'jumped on board'. They went thier own way and (made) everyone follow(ed).

17. I don't think it's necessarily true that they never followed the latest trend. When you think about MMORPGs, that genre's been around since the 1990s with games like Tibia and EverQuest, but Blizzard was able to see the potential and innovate further by introducing WoW. And before StarCraft existed, the most popular RTS game was probably Age of Empires. So I wouldn't necessarily say that Blizzard never followed the latest trend; I would probably say that trends weren't exactly apparent back then, because anything pre-Internet era and early Internet era didn't have too much traction for any specific game, but there were still successful games trending that would probably conjure some investment and innovation.