1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. To chat with the GameOgre community, you need to have at least 100 posts. Once you have the 100 posts, post at Become A New Ogre
    Dismiss Notice

"Away" Function

Discussion in 'Ogre Wars' started by Lions, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    I think we should have an away function for Ogre Wars. While not being on for like 1-2 weeks, I was attacked 8 times, 4 times for vyeh and 4 times by shivers89. Now I don't have a problem with losing battles, I have before and I will again, but if I'm not even online to improve my troops and such, I don't think its fair for them to be able to continually attack a village that is having no upkeep. Obviously to keep it working the "away" function could have settings such as 3 days, 1 week, etc. Otherwise you'd have people being "away" even though they are not. If they are away for 2 days and set it for 3 days then they simply can't play Ogre Wars for a day, no big deal. As you probably guessed, setting yourself to "away" would mean you can't do anything on the "Ogre Wars" section of the site for however long you set it to. It doesn't seem as if this would be hard to do but it would be nice to have for situations such as what I just had.

2. Admin Post
    ogreman

ogreman Ogre In Charge Staff Member GameOgre Admin

Credit:
    That is a good idea for a future feature if it can be done:). If it could, maybe we could set up something like where you pay the Ogre King protection while you are gone.

In the meantime, you could join the new season Ogre Wars. Everybody is still building right now so attacks like those should not happen for some time.

http://www.gameogre.com/forums/conquest.php?do=homebase

3. JaredOzzy

JaredOzzy The Legendary Ogre Veteran

Credit:
    yea but not in Live money xD in troops right?

4. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    It would probably be in Gold if we did it, but we would have to find a way to pause a village from attacks and benefits first.

5. Regret

Regret Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    Those same two guys attacked me as well. =(

6. vyeh

vyeh Ogre Wars Hall of Fame

Credit:
    If you are away for 1-2 weeks, you lose a lot of turns (the maximum 75 turns is reached in 18 and 3/4 hours). Those are turns that are not converted to troops or gold.

Being around only means that you can put your natural income into defense.

Because to the way the game was skewed after the last reorganization, to get the Steelskulls and the Ironheads into 1st and 2nd place, we had to push everybody below 10k, while keeping a member of the Ironheads and the Steelskulls at 400k.

One very real consequence of troop placement: the Wompers are not in the current game because they came in fourth.

Note that while there may not be attacks in the current game, the people started when the game began and haven't lost turns to the maximum have an advantage. This is the reason Eirik, a very good player, gave for leaving the last game last November.

Both Eirik and I use to put a cap on enemy forces. We would not recruit troops and attack all enemies below us. (There is a strategy to stop it but it requires teamwork and patience.)

I only stopped because awesomedrako convinced me that I should attack stronger players. That led to teamwork and diplomacy.

Going forward, if the current session goes past a couple of months (the Goldteeth have a natural bonus advantage, more players and ogreman and Coffee Addict, two very experienced Ironheads/Steelskulls), there should be a provision to protect new players from attacks by veterans. I've proposed a classification where veterans could not attack newcomers whose names have been posted by a nation's leader (to prevent dead accounts from getting protection). New comers would lose protection once they passed a certain troop level.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  7. Admin Post
    ogreman

Credit:
    Yes, we need some sort of a protection system. However, implementing it may be tough.

8. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    Ugh this freaking happened again. I don't come on for a few days and that just so happens to be when I get attacked.

9. Elfen

Elfen Stuck in the Pit The Pit

Credit:
    That happened to me before it's annoying

10. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
    It's happening every day now by the same person even though I have yet to attack anyone with this new launch. I PM'ed him telling him I barely get time to play and I'll see what he says. Been going on for 2 weeks now, everytime I log on I have 2-3 PM's of being attacked by him. Just another reason to put in this feature, I could just set myself away for 3 days if I know I'm not going to be playing...

11. Regret

Regret Spiked Club The Pit

Credit:
    I totally agree with this.

[​IMG]

I can't take it anymore :(

12. Lions

Lions Clubbed for Drama

Credit:
  13. vyeh

vyeh Ogre Wars Hall of Fame

Credit:
    There are several choices. Get someone above him to attack him and drive him below you, then recruit and hope you have enough defense that his casualties are greater tahn yours.

Get a group. Stay at 74% of him, build up your offense and attack him in turn.

A tactic the Wompers used was to get several players at 74% with some defense and then keep recruiting into him. Eventually, he can no longer stay above all of you and you can move beyond him.

I believe the fundamental problem is that you only play occasionally, so you lose turns to the max (if the maximum turns was set higher, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem for occasional players). Those are turns you can't covert to gold and then convert to gold into defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.